Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you became a Chiefs fan...

Default Why you became a Chiefs fan...

Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Quit being kinky carlhater...

Maybe you should change your user name... hmmmm...

That's why they call me Guru.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

This is a kick *** thread and I want to go to class with SOTG!!!! I am a Chiefs fan living in the great White North and I bleed Red and Gold!! I became a Chiefs fan because of the Late Great Derrick Thomas. Up here in Canada, the is no local team. I watched football every Sunday but never really had a favorite team until I saw Derrick Thomas play. I wanted to play just like him. The way that he hit, they way he played the game and the way he lived his life was inspiring to everyone around him. My mom bought me a DT jersey for my birthday and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage along with 27 other Chiefs jerseys. The fans of this team are what I have truly come to love. The Arrowhead atmosphere is unlike any other that I have experienced at any sporting event anywhere. I have been to hockey games all over North America, I have been to baseball games I have been to other football stadiums, I even went to the 2000 Olympics in Australia but Arrowhead Stadium is the BEST party on the face of the planet!! The food, the fans and the BEER!!!!!
    GO CHIEFS GO!! GO CHIEFS GO!!

And to answer your question about the Raiders. Why do we hate them?? Have you seen them?? They are idiots. Rituals....when you see one, punch him, take his ticket to the game and give it to a Chiefs fan!!

My Dream!! To someday win the lottery, buy seasons tickets for every seat in the "black hole" and fill them with Chiefs fans!!

Also the Raiders used to be the frequent dominant team in the AFC west. So while any divisional opponents are a rivalry, the Chiefs-Raiders, Seahawks-Raiders, Chargers-Raiders, and Broncos-Raiders were always the biggest in the division (with The Chiefs-Raiders the biggest, going back to the old AFL days. I've heard our rivalry is sometimes even considered bigger than the Cowboys-Redskins). Just like here in Philadelphia, Eagle fans hate the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys, but they hate the Cowboys the most BY FAR. Because Dallas has been the most frequent dominant team in the NFC East for 37 years.
    I've heard another reason the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry became even bigger was that in baseball the other Oakland team, the A's, was good in the 70's like the Kansas City Royals were. And since they were also in the same division that feuled the "Oakland-KC" battle all the more.
    I LOVE the Chiefs and I am a Raider HATER!
    But this Sunday since they are playing the Broncos who have a better record, I actually have to hope the Raiders (UGH!) win.

Well, I've lived in Kansas City, MO all of my life, and I grew up watching them play football. So pretty much I'm just supporting my hometown team!

Priest Holmes= my favorite Chiefs RB.. ever.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

it started with my dads sperm. each of the boys had little dallas texans helments on. mom.her eggs had a combo of a razerback and a texan sign on the outside. when the boys were hightail`en it up to the promise land one lowered his helment and broke through. hence the texans/chiefs were embeded in my dna.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Tomorrow is my first game at KC, I'm a Steeler fan all my life, season tickets since 1972. Never been in KC but flying out of Pittsburgh in the next few minutes. Could become a real Chief fan, my son has been on the practice squad for the last 4 or 5 weeks. We hope he gets a shot to play by years end. He had a great Steeler camp but just missed, but many thought he should have made the 53 man. Looking forward to a great trip.

OMG my first game too. Are you as excited as I am? I was born and raised in and around KC. When I learned the game, it was only a given that I would be a die hard Chiefs fan. I started watching football with my husband when we were only friends in 1987. He is a Cowboys fan. Oh yeah that causes some conflict around here. Don't worry you guys there is Chiefs stuff all around my house and no Cowboys crap. Did you really want to hear all that. Oh well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    This is a kick *** thread and I want to go to class with SOTG!!!! I am a Chiefs fan living in the great White North and I bleed Red and Gold!! I became a Chiefs fan because of the Late Great Derrick Thomas. Up here in Canada, the is no local team. I watched football every Sunday but never really had a favorite team until I saw Derrick Thomas play. I wanted to play just like him. The way that he hit, they way he played the game and the way he lived his life was inspiring to everyone around him. My mom bought me a DT jersey for my birthday and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage along with 27 other Chiefs jerseys. The fans of this team are what I have truly come to love. The Arrowhead atmosphere is unlike any other that I have experienced at any sporting event anywhere. I have been to hockey games all over North America, I have been to baseball games I have been to other football stadiums, I even went to the 2000 Olympics in Australia but Arrowhead Stadium is the BEST party on the face of the planet!! The food, the fans and the BEER!!!!!

And to answer your question about the Raiders. Why do we hate them?? Have you seen them?? They are idiots. Rituals....when you see one, punch him, take his ticket to the game and give it to a Chiefs fan!!

My Dream!! To someday win the lottery, buy seasons tickets for every seat in the "black hole" and fill them with Chiefs fans!!

Good one man!!!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Tomorrow is my first game at KC, I'm a Steeler fan all my life, season tickets since 1972. Never been in KC but flying out of Pittsburgh in the next few minutes. Could become a real Chief fan, my son has been on the practice squad for the last 4 or 5 weeks. We hope he gets a shot to play by years end. He had a great Steeler camp but just missed, but many thought he should have made the 53 man. Looking forward to a great trip.
    You rock man! Who is your son?

Quote Originally Posted by sues70 View Post
    OMG my first game too. Are you as excited as I am? I was born and raised in and around KC. When I learned the game, it was only a given that I would be a die hard Chiefs fan. I started watching football with my husband when we were only friends in 1987. He is a Cowboys fan. Oh yeah that causes some conflict around here. Don't worry you guys there is Chiefs stuff all around my house and no Cowboys crap. Did you really want to hear all that. Oh well!!!

Of course we wanted to hear that! Great stuff!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team."

Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

Also, In response to luv's post: You say that now is a bad time to ask about fandom. What is the reason for this? I have always felt that Chiefs fans were loyal to their team, even after 10+ years without a playoff victory. Why now, after 13 years with no playoff wins, are Chiefs fans losing faith in the team (and refusing to remain loyal)? What has changed?

Right now I believe that the Chiefs fans are very loyal to the team, the fans just aren't loyal to the Coach and want a change, the reason for the seeming lack of loyalty and wanting to boycott games has nothing to do with the team it is all about getting a new coach who has a passion for winning, not close games.

(anyone please feel free to reply to these questions).
    Mainly I could tell that the Chiefs had a loyal following, I noticed it around KC everywhere I went, I grew up in Iowa and Iowa doesn't have any pro sports teams, so I had to find outside teams to root for, My parents didn't watch football and up until I moved to KC I didn't either, there wasn't a mold of what team I should like in football.

During the 1991 playoffs I was first introduced to the Chiefs, that was the season that they played the Raiders in the first round, I remember buying a Chiefs shirt and a Raider Haters shirt. Soon after (93) the Chiefs acquired Joe Montana who was my favorite all time player even though I didn't watch football. This cemented my being a Chiefs fan.

These things along with meeting Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith plus living for a while next to Arrowhead Stadium I have been a die hard Chiefs fan since. I believe maybe a lot of mine was timing but, and the fact that I really didn't follow football. Kaufmann Stadium (Royals) is right next to Arrowhead but I am forever a St Louis Cardinals fan and have never rooted for the Royals.

Hope this helps.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast