Thread: Nebraska To Name Pelini As Coach

Default Nebraska To Name Pelini As Coach

Sources: Nebraska to name LSU defensive coordinator Pelini as coach

By Pat Forde
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

Updated: December 1, 2007, 1:25 PM ET

Barring any last-minute snags, LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini will be introduced as the new head coach at Nebraska early next week, multiple sources confirmed Friday.

Pelini will coach the Tigers defense Saturday in the SEC championship game against Tennessee and, according to a source close to the situation, will be in Lincoln for an announcement Monday.

When reached by The Associated Press, Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne refused to comment on the situation.

"I have no comment one way or the other," said Osborne.

Pelini and Buffalo coach Turner Gill were believed to be Tom Osborne's final two choices to replace fired Bill Callahan. Both have Nebraska ties -- Gill as a former player under Osborne and coach under Frank Solich, and Pelini as a former defensice coordinator under Solich.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Last edited by tornadospotter; 12-01-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Source: Miles will remain coach at LSU

ESPN.com news services

<DIV class=sp-col1><DIV class=sp-col1-inner>Updated: December 1, 2007, 1:39 PM ET

LSU coach Les Miles will meet with the media at the Georgia Dome before the SEC Championship Game to announce that he is staying at LSU, a source told ESPN.com.

LSU associate athletic director Herb Vincent said Saturday morning that ESPN reports that Miles had accepted the head coaching position at Michigan were "inaccurate." Miles agreed to a contract extension Saturday with LSU.
    The news conference was scheduled for 1:45 p.m. ET on Saturday.
    The Detroit News, the Ann Arbor News and the New Orleans Times-Picayune were also reporting that Miles would stay at LSU.
    Saturday morning, ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit reported that barring unforseen events, Michigan would announce that Miles would accept their head coaching job. Herbstreit also reported that Georgia Tech defensive coordinator and interim head coach Jon Tenuta would go with him.

Miles, who played at Michigan and served two stints as an assistant under the late Bo Schembechler, has been eyed as a successor to Lloyd Carr, who stepped down after the Wolverines' loss to Ohio State last month.

Miles has been head coach at LSU since 2005. LSU is 32-6 with Miles at the helm, including 22 wins in his first 26 games as coach, and won 11 games in 2005 and 2006. The No. 7 Tigers (10-2), whose two losses this season both came in triple overtime, will play Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game on Saturday.

Miles also coached at Oklahoma State, posting a 28-21 record between 2001 and 2004, and was tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys between 1998 and 2000.

Miles has a 60-27 overall record in seven seasons as a head coach.

Funny they just showed a clip about Miles keeping the job on TV right as I opened this thread to read it.

Spooky!

By the way DBo's old team won today!

Good for him!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

This is similar to me to the Bulger hurt thread lol, Dont care lol, Sorry Spotter. Although I wish they would keep the spot open for Herm, such a nice guy I want to see him coach after the Chiefs can his worthless butt, and Nebraska would be a good spot. Although being an Iowa Hawkeye fan I would love to see Herm go to coach the Michigan Wolverines. GO CHIEFS.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    This is similar to me to the Bulger hurt thread lol, Dont care lol, Sorry Spotter. Although I wish they would keep the spot open for Herm, such a nice guy I want to see him coach after the Chiefs can his worthless butt, and Nebraska would be a good spot. Although being an Iowa Hawkeye fan I would love to see Herm go to coach the Michigan Wolverines. GO CHIEFS.
    Well Herm could come to Nebraska, we would take him, as a defensive coordinator.