Thread: Season thoughts and my Grades

Default Season thoughts and my Grades

Another good season with a disappointing end. One of the worst postseason Losses I have been around for. This was worse than 38-10 for me because the Chiefs were the better team. They should have been able to win. But yet here we are again blowing a double digit postseason lead. This one is going to sting for a long time.

Coaching D+/C- Just going to get this one out of the way. For all my time on this board my criticism of the head coach has by far been the most unpopular things I have posted. And that's fine. People can disagree but IMO coaching was the worst part of this team this year and it is not really close. Far to many times we saw the same mistakes pop up over and over again. Far many times we kept doing the same things that have gotten us beat in the past and spoiler alert the same thing happened. We kept playing guys who had no business being on the field outside of maybe Special teams. When they were clearly hurting the team our coaches kept putting them out there to keep hurting the tam. We kept trying things that were not and had not been working for much of the season thinking that they would suddenly start working. It was just so frustrating to watch. The only reason I don't give them an F is the winning streak has to also be taken into account. There was a real chance at 3-4 that this season could have just unraveled and been just a lost season. But they did get the ship back afloat. And I have to give them credit for that where it's due. That's not an easy thing to do sometimes in what had to be a lot of frustration. So I give them that tip of the cap. But overall coaching was the downfall of this team. That's just how I feel.

Having said all of that I am also going to call out many of the players on this team. Preseason we had some guys talking about 20-0. It was just nonsense. And some of them after talking about all that went on to have luckluster seasons. I am looking at you #95. While coaching was the biggest issue this season I did not see the same fire in our guys this year for much of the season. It's like they just expect that they would be back in the Super Bowl and that was that. Well they found out starting in week 2 that things are not that easy. And now will be watching the Super Bowl at home just like us. We can only hope that this is the bitter pill they needed. IMO they needed a slice of humble pie. And they got it.

Offense B-/B When the offense was clicking it was the Chiefs offense that we have come to know and love. But they weren't for a good chunk of the season. They were off. Part of that IMO Is the above 2 issues I mentioned. We saw so many passes bounce off our WRs hand into the defenders arms for INTs. We saw fumbles we saw just about everything. I go back to the rainy night I was at the game against the Bills. Our guys were the ones having presnap penalties. They just were never able to put everything together for a long stretch of time. They left a lot of points off the board this season and it really hurt them at the end.

Defense c/C+ At the start of the year if someone were to tell me that the grade would be anything more than an F I probably would have laughed. But during the win streak they carried us for a number of those games. We won games scoring less than 20 points. Something I didn't think was going to happen. So they had quite the rebound from one of the worst starts in the history of the NFL. But the grade can't go to high because of that said start and the fact they never really kept a lead much of the last part of the season.

Overall this season was a rollercoaster some lows for sure but a lot of highs. Just leaves such a bitter taste in your mouth to see yet another double digit postsesaon lead get blown. This team isn't going to fall apart. They have a core that will very much be in the thick of things again next season. But right now I can't say as long as the coaches remain in place that we will not be back here with a bitter taste. And that is what sucks the most about how the season ended.

On to next Season always GO CHIEFS
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Another good season with a disappointing end. One of the worst postseason Losses I have been around for. This was worse than 38-10 for me because the Chiefs were the better team. They should have been able to win. But yet here we are again blowing a double digit postseason lead. This one is going to sting for a long time.

Coaching D+/C- Just going to get this one out of the way. For all my time on this board my criticism of the head coach has by far been the most unpopular things I have posted. And that's fine. People can disagree but IMO coaching was the worst part of this team this year and it is not really close. Far to many times we saw the same mistakes pop up over and over again. Far many times we kept doing the same things that have gotten us beat in the past and spoiler alert the same thing happened. We kept playing guys who had no business being on the field outside of maybe Special teams. When they were clearly hurting the team our coaches kept putting them out there to keep hurting the tam. We kept trying things that were not and had not been working for much of the season thinking that they would suddenly start working. It was just so frustrating to watch. The only reason I don't give them an F is the winning streak has to also be taken into account. There was a real chance at 3-4 that this season could have just unraveled and been just a lost season. But they did get the ship back afloat. And I have to give them credit for that where it's due. That's not an easy thing to do sometimes in what had to be a lot of frustration. So I give them that tip of the cap. But overall coaching was the downfall of this team. That's just how I feel.

Having said all of that I am also going to call out many of the players on this team. Preseason we had some guys talking about 20-0. It was just nonsense. And some of them after talking about all that went on to have luckluster seasons. I am looking at you #95. While coaching was the biggest issue this season I did not see the same fire in our guys this year for much of the season. It's like they just expect that they would be back in the Super Bowl and that was that. Well they found out starting in week 2 that things are not that easy. And now will be watching the Super Bowl at home just like us. We can only hope that this is the bitter pill they needed. IMO they needed a slice of humble pie. And they got it.

Offense B-/B When the offense was clicking it was the Chiefs offense that we have come to know and love. But they weren't for a good chunk of the season. They were off. Part of that IMO Is the above 2 issues I mentioned. We saw so many passes bounce off our WRs hand into the defenders arms for INTs. We saw fumbles we saw just about everything. I go back to the rainy night I was at the game against the Bills. Our guys were the ones having presnap penalties. They just were never able to put everything together for a long stretch of time. They left a lot of points off the board this season and it really hurt them at the end.

Defense c/C+ At the start of the year if someone were to tell me that the grade would be anything more than an F I probably would have laughed. But during the win streak they carried us for a number of those games. We won games scoring less than 20 points. Something I didn't think was going to happen. So they had quite the rebound from one of the worst starts in the history of the NFL. But the grade can't go to high because of that said start and the fact they never really kept a lead much of the last part of the season.

Overall this season was a rollercoaster some lows for sure but a lot of highs. Just leaves such a bitter taste in your mouth to see yet another double digit postsesaon lead get blown. This team isn't going to fall apart. They have a core that will very much be in the thick of things again next season. But right now I can't say as long as the coaches remain in place that we will not be back here with a bitter taste. And that is what sucks the most about how the season ended.

Interesting. I agree there were mistakes butwWhat do you think they should do? Get rid of Andy? Or just new coordinators?

Quote Originally Posted by C Louie View Post
    Interesting. I agree there were mistakes butwWhat do you think they should do? Get rid of Andy? Or just new coordinators?
    Getting Rid of Andy isn't going to happen. As much as I believe that a change could be good for the Chiefs I don't think ownership is going to be willing to take the risk of making the move. We will just have to keep living with the frustrations. I expect that the coaching staff will be about the same maybe a change here or there at position coaches.

The attention that was put last year on the O line is going to have to be spent this year on the other side of the ball. Our pass rush was lackluster and that really hurt in the pass defense. Need to move on from Sorenson. The guy isn't as horrible as some think but he is an issue and was a major issue for much of the season. He made some good impact as well but not enough to overcome the problems he was.

And we need a #2 WR. Hardman really was strong at the end of the season But he didn't show up enough that you can expect him to be the guy by Hill. So they need to find another threat that the Defenses have to gameplan for so they can put as many guys on Hill,Kelce.

Team has a strong core still. They will be contenders again next season .
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Season thoughts...

Overall, was really proud of this team and how it fought it's way out of it's problems. At the start of the season, the big question was "Are we going to fix the O-line?" after the previous lineup got destroyed in SB 55. Front office did an excellent job of fixing that in a major way. Everyone was looking forward to seeing Chis Jones at DE, instead of being inside. Preseason we looked unstoppable.

Then the regular season began and we learned the hard way that other teams had been hard at work unraveling our offense. Why didn't we see this coming ?!? The front office completely missed on finding a replacement for Sammy Watkins. Defensive coordinators aren't going to sit still and let Mahomes shred them year after year, and now are dropping more guys into coverage against a roster that doesn't have a really big target WR. And when our passing game didn't work, why didn't we utilize our run game more? All of our RB's were fighting hard every time. Is this a situation where Reid or Mahomes are getting greedy and feel like they're missing out if they're not going for a risky 30 yard gain as opposed to a sure 7 yard run or field goal? This falls on Reid, but also on Mahomes to an extent as well. If we want to consistently open up those 30+ yard spectacular plays we need to get the other teams to respect the fact we will happily take the 5-7 yards right in front of us as well.

Defensively, our first big blunder was moving Chris Jones to DE. Part of our turnaround was moving him back to the interior. Once that happened, and Melvin Ingram was added to the roster, we really began to put together a defense that gave us a shot at some three and outs or some turnovers. Our corners did a much better job this year. With this being said...It'd be great to see Spags get some help from the front office this year. Everyone wants to jump up and down about Sorenson or Neiman, but the bottom line in football is draft or sign someone better. Roster-wise, Spags gets the leftovers and that needs to change if we're expecting to have a worthwhile D. It will also put guys like Clark (at times it seemed like he completely disappeared from the game) on notice that he's paid to play.

Quote Originally Posted by C Louie View Post
    Interesting. I agree there were mistakes but what do you think they should do? Get rid of Andy? Or just new coordinators?
    That's the elephant in the room. Think that Reid isn't going anywhere, but the coordinators will be likely to take jobs elsewhere if the money & situation is right.

Getting Rid of Andy isn't going to happen. As much as I believe that a change could be good for the Chiefs I don't think ownership is going to be willing to take the risk of making the move. We will just have to keep living with the frustrations. I expect that the coaching staff will be about the same maybe a change here or there at position coaches.

The attention that was put last year on the O line is going to have to be spent this year on the other side of the ball. Our pass rush was lackluster and that really hurt in the pass defense. Need to move on from Sorenson. The guy isn't as horrible as some think but he is an issue and was a major issue for much of the season. He made some good impact as well but not enough to overcome the problems he was.

And we need a #2 WR. Hardman really was strong at the end of the season But he didn't show up enough that you can expect him to be the guy by Hill. So they need to find another threat that the Defenses have to gameplan for so they can put as many guys on Hill,Kelce.

Team has a strong core still. They will be contenders again next season .
    Agreed on many points. Would really like to see what Spags could do if gave some serious help to him in the draft. Would really like to see us draft serious help at safety and D-line.

Offensively we need to find a big target WR, or big running back that can handle a passing style offense. Would like to see us move away from the small speedsters that can't win jump ball battles.