Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kolby Smith,another coaching screw up

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Default Kolby Smith,another coaching screw up

Smith seems like he hardly ever loses yardage. i know he has but not like LJ did. why didn`t they try him earlier in the year? to me its poor coaching by our hermmie. this is the same coach at the beginning said our "o-line" woulbe fine. this guy cant judge talent if it smacked him across the head. thank you for reading my 2 cents worth.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    exactly. of course, i was talking about the Patriot defense, but whatever. lol
    Well in that case McGhahee(23?) and that other guy (32?) ran all over the Pats line.

No penalties that I can remember from the Pats D, but the Ravens did pretty good on offense against them.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i agree with Hermhater,the day defense`s win championships is gone. they help win them but not by theirselfs. Peterson dug the hole for our offense,Hermmie nailed the coffin and filled in the hole. Dungy and cowher both realized this and kept their noises out of the offensive side of the ball. thats when the steelers opened up more of a pasasing attack. and dungy was smart enough to let p
    manning do his thing.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Herm, Dungy and Lovie are defensive coordinators, IMO. None of them has ever assembled much of an offense. And Herm had five years with the Jets, dropping them to a 4-12 record, when he left.

Five years...4-12. I call that a failure, in building a championship team.

Not that I would classify his stint with the Chiefs a failure, yet. But that I have no faith in his abilty to create a championship-caliber team.

I don't want him fired, right now, unless Cowher becomes available. But, I don't like him, as the head coach of my Chiefs.

The biggest reason I dislike him as a head coach is his history of underappreciation for the offensive line. I know that you already know this, (texaschief) because we have had this discussion before. And hopefully, he actually sees the need to take that area of his team seriously, now.

The offensive line often gets looked at with a "Just plug someone in there" attitude, and that tends to lead to a revolving door for quarterbacks. Or, in Herm case, a revolving hospital door.

Playing quarterback means learning to disregard your natural instict to protect yourself. Meaning that you will take some hits, without bracing for the impact, or doing anything to protect yourself. Therefore, if the guys whos job it is to protect you are not very good at doing so, then you will have to take alot more of those unprotected hits.

No matter how tough you may be, a certain number of those kind of hits will injure you. One can do it, but we try to avoid alowing them, as much as we can.

Once a person has a bone/muscular injury, an entire region of the body loses strength of structure. Get injured a couple of times, and suddenly, you are injury-prone.

Chad Pennington is a prime example. Trent Green is another good one. Hopefully, Herm is starting to realize this. Damon Huard and Brodie Croye could also be used here.

Bad luck is a small player in the game that continually gets his quarterbacks injured. You can limit the likelihood of that kind of bad luck, by avoiding the number of times that your quarterback gets hit.

No, not by never choosing to pass the ball. By assembling a group of offensive linemen and blocking backs/tight ends that are capable of minnimizing the number of defenders that get to your quarterback.

Yes, there are other things that can be done to assist in protecting a quarterback, but they are just that, help. The base of your protection has to be the quality of talent amongst your pass protectors.

I don't intend to say that Herm totally sucks. I have alot of hope for him to take a very serious aproach to assembling a great offensive line this offseason.

I just wanted to distance myself from the "Fire Herm Now" party. I may be extremely upset with his failure to draft offensive linemen, to this point, but I have to believe that he will get the job done this time.

Other than that one, single aspect, I really like Herm. I like that he creates successful defenses. I even like his personality. (Much better when his team is winning.)

It is really just the one major issue, (Some smaller ones too.) and he can fix that with me.

I DO like Herm. He coaches and builds his team the correct way.

Herm has a plan for this team and he's done a great job in his first two offseasons in building toward that plan. Just because this team isn't complete RIGHT NOW doesn't mean it wont be completed ever.

The problems this year are 85% Carl Peterson, 10% Mike Solari and 5% Herm Edwards.

We decided on Herm and his philosophy 2 seasons ago. We need to stick with him for AT LEAST 5 or 5 seasons. I would prefer giving him at least 7 seasons but in this day and age, nobody is patient anymore. Hell, most of the ppl here want to fire him already. It's just ridiculous. He knows where he wants to go and the GM should give him the tools to get there.
    Herm Edwards has NO business as a head coach. The numbers don't lie. His regular season record is 52 - 56 - 0 (0.481). He's not even a .500 coach.

+--------------+----------+
    | Reg. Season | Playoffs |
    +----------+--------------+----------+
    | Year TM | W L T | W L |
    | 2001 nyj | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
    | 2002 nyj | 9 7 0 | 1 1 |
    | 2003 nyj | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |
    | 2004 nyj | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |
    | 2005 nyj | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |
    | 2006 kan | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |
    | 2007 kan | 4 8 0 | 0 0 |
    | TOTALS | 52 56 0 | 2 4 |

No consistency at all. So far he's 13-15 with the Chiefs. And you want to give him another 7 years? Hell no! He was 39-41 in 5 season with the Jets.

Drafting blame mostly lies with Peterson, although the head coach has some say in who gets picked too. But the coaching has been dismal at best this year. Terrible clock management(which Herm is well known for), even worse call playing and the most conservative football I've ever seen. I'm not sure where it's okay to have your record go backwards, even if a team is rebuilding. I didn't expect to more that 9-7. But a 4(if we're lucky maybe 5) win season is grounds for termination.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Herm, Dungy and Lovie are defensive coordinators, IMO. None of them has ever assembled much of an offense. And Herm had five years with the Jets, dropping them to a 4-12 record, when he left...
    Herm's on track for that very record here in just his second year with the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    You really think Cowher was an offensive minded coach? Come on, he was a Schottenheimer disciple.
    Wait, just because Cowher didn't run 5 WRs out there (ala Mike Martz) or invent the West-Coast offense (a la Bill Walsh) doesn't mean he wasn't an offensive genius. Yeah, his teams didn't lead the league year in and year out in scoring or yards...but they did something that matters. They won 62% of the time. They consistently rushed the ball successfully, controlled the clock and did score, (both TDs and FGs). The year they finally won the SuperBowl, they had the 5th best rushing offense in the league, and averaged 24.3 points per game. Bill Cowher may be "defense-first" but don't kid yourself, he led a great offense in 2005 also...they were 9th in total offensive scoring, hey had 21 passing touchdowns and 21 rushing touchdowns. They had what you might call a "balanced offense".

Defense is still important, all you have to do is look at the Rams to know that....however without a great offense, only 1 defense has one a SuperBowl in the last 15 years (Baltimore)...the previous team that won with almost defense only was either the 1991 NY Giants (Phil Simms was so over-rated), or you'd have to go back to the 1970s.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I like Lovie Smith...I think if/when he gets a genuine QB to run his offense he'll be fine. I also like Tony Dungy, but he doesn't pretend to be what he isn't. He allows his two offensive coordinators (Moore & Manning) to run the offense.

I think Herm Edwards biggest flaw isn't his coaching, but his inability to grasp the simple concept of managing the game clock. C'mon guys that has cost you 2-3 games this year. Getting beat on the field can happen to most teams...but getting beat on the sidelines shouldn't happen more than once every year or two.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    Herm Edwards has NO business as a head coach. The numbers don't lie. His regular season record is 52 - 56 - 0 (0.481). He's not even a .500 coach.

+--------------+----------+
    | Reg. Season | Playoffs |
    | Year TM | W L T | W L |
    | 2001 nyj | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
    | 2002 nyj | 9 7 0 | 1 1 |
    | 2003 nyj | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |
    | 2004 nyj | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |
    | 2005 nyj | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |
    | 2006 kan | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |
    | 2007 kan | 4 8 0 | 0 0 |
    | TOTALS | 52 56 0 | 2 4 |

No consistency at all. So far he's 13-15 with the Chiefs. And you want to give him another 7 years? Hell no! He was 39-41 in 5 season with the Jets.

Drafting blame mostly lies with Peterson, although the head coach has some say in who gets picked too. But the coaching has been dismal at best this year. Terrible clock management(which Herm is well known for), even worse call playing and the most conservative football I've ever seen. I'm not sure where it's okay to have your record go backwards, even if a team is rebuilding. I didn't expect to more that 9-7. But a 4(if we're lucky maybe 5) win season is grounds for termination.
    You post that record...great...now post his record when he has a consistent QB the whole season. You can blame him all you want for not drafting O-linemen, but his record is inconsitent because he's never had a truly consistent QB.

When you don't have a leader of the offense, you're not gonna score a whole lot of points. It's just ridiculous that people don't see that he's never had a real shot at building a team. 5 years with the Jets isn't exactly a long tenure. How long did it take Cower to win a Super Bowl again....and HE'S the guy y'all want? lmao

2 years here without a real QB or offensive line isn't exactly a fair shot. Take a breath, a step back, and relax for a bit. If you want to beat the drum to get someone fired, start fighting for Carl's head as hard as you're fighting for Herm's.

This is just ridiculous.

You post that record...great...now post his record when he has a consistent QB the whole season. You can blame him all you want for not drafting O-linemen, but his record is inconsitent because he's never had a truly consistent QB.

When you don't have a leader of the offense, you're not gonna score a whole lot of points. It's just ridiculous that people don't see that he's never had a real shot at building a team. 5 years with the Jets isn't exactly a long tenure. How long did it take Cower to win a Super Bowl again....and HE'S the guy y'all want? lmao

2 years here without a real QB or offensive line isn't exactly a fair shot. Take a breath, a step back, and relax for a bit. If you want to beat the drum to get someone fired, start fighting for Carl's head as hard as you're fighting for Herm's.

This is just ridiculous.
    I think most of the crowd has been calling for Carl's head as well. I see it everywhere. However as for the comment about his QBs getting injured, I'd call it a fluke except your point about his lack of emphasis (draft or free agent) on the O-line is a huge contributing factor both in NY and KC when it comes to the health of his QB. Huard got a year older but he didn't change that much from one season to the next...the difference is the loss of the final cog to that dominant KC O-line. It is unfortunate that Roaf and Shields both retired in the last couple years, but the difference between Carl Peterson and the GMs that have perrennial contending teams is that it is the GMs job to have a 2-5 year plan, and the coaches job to have a focus and plan for the next game. Sure Carl has to draft players that Herm wants, and fit his system, but he also has to say, umm Herm, we have two All-pro linemen in their mid 30s...we might want to grab that Winston Justice kid from USC, (or someone similar) here in the 2nd or 3rd round.

BOTH guys are culpable in the makeup of the team...only Herm is responsible for the lousy scheme considering his personnel.

This is just ridiculous.
    you are the only man i know....ON EARTH...that will defend Herm Edwards. Not even his grandmother will defend him anymore. But...you da man!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast