Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kolby Smith,another coaching screw up

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Default Kolby Smith,another coaching screw up

Smith seems like he hardly ever loses yardage. i know he has but not like LJ did. why didn`t they try him earlier in the year? to me its poor coaching by our hermmie. this is the same coach at the beginning said our "o-line" woulbe fine. this guy cant judge talent if it smacked him across the head. thank you for reading my 2 cents worth.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    In seven years, Herm has yet to reach so much as an 11-5 record. 10-6 is the best that he has done. The consistent QB is his own fault.
    says you...almighty 31.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Sure Carl has to draft players that Herm wants
    I think it's pretty obvious that Schottenheimer and Vermeil held a lot of sway with Peterson on who he would draft, but I wonder if Herm has the same amount of pull as they did. For some reason, and this is just a gut feeling, I think Herm is just kind of Peterson's lap dog.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Well said 31...comparing Cowher and Edwards is not fair. It's like comparing the intelligence of Einstein and Gump (Forrest that is)

Life is like a box of choc-o-lates...

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Herm has inherited two teams and ground them both into the ground, one offensive (and now defensive) player at a time.

So you agree with Herm it is just bad luck when you lose 5 QB's in one year?
    I've posted it before, but that "horrid" O-line in New York that kept getting their QBs hurt was the same line that allowed Curtis to record setting rushing performances. So, with a line like that, yeah, i'd say luck had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I've posted it before, but that "horrid" O-line in New York that kept getting their QBs hurt was the same line that allowed Curtis to record setting rushing performances. So, with a line like that, yeah, i'd say luck had something to do with it.
    And now Curtis is gone with injuries.

That equals Herm's style off offense. Kill the Offense to let the defense look good.

Why don't you just post an entire thread to praising Herm? Obviously you can't see past Carl and see our current threat.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

...the difference between Carl Peterson and the GMs that have perrennial contending teams is that it is the GMs job to have a 2-5 year plan,.
    Please elaborate.

This is interesting.

Well take for example the Colts. They've been a successful team for years. They have most definitely one of the best offenses in the league...anyone know who their top pick in the last draft was...

oh a WR? Why is that their most pressing need. No they needed more help on defense...but they have an aging star at WR in Marvin Harrison, who has by the way met father time this year, and struggled with injury...Insert Anthony Gonzalez.

Aging Left Tackle in Tariq Glenn...oh he retires...guess what, they drafted one this year because they knew their guy was getting older.

RB getting old (Edgerrin James), we'll draft Addai, and platoon him with Rhodes until he's NFL-ready

Aging DT (McFarland), lets draft Johnson, just in case he can't stay healthy.

The only place they don't have a quality backup plan is QB, and that's because you can't replace the elder Manning brother anyhow.

Looking at their roster, I'd expect that Indy will draft another WR this year in the first 3 rounds (Harrison is 35 and Wayne is almost 30), they'll also likely draft a Center (Saturday is over 30), and possibly another DT.

Why, because winning teams draft what they'll need in 2-3 years, not what they need NOW. Sure they may end up playing a rookie if they have to, or if the guy is a stud (Addai last year)...but they'd rather sit the rookie for a year or two and let him come in and play as a veteran (Marlin Jackson or Ben Utecht)...

Unfortunately my team (49ers) and your team (KC) are in a position where they need to draft for now, because the management in place won't have jobs in 2-3 years if things don't get better, but as you can see that approach doesn't fix things as it takes 4+ years to build a team that way, and most of those rookies will leave in free agency before you improve.

Here is a list of KC's potential free agents

Boomer Grigsby RFA
    Travis Wilson RFA
    Sammie Parker UFA
    Kris Wilson UFA
    Chris Terry UFA
    Kyle Turley UFA
    Casey Wiegmann UFA
    Jared Allen UFA
    Jimmy Wilkerson UFA
    Keyaron Fox UFA
    William Bartee UFA

That being said, Jared Allen first and foremost needs to be signed, even if that means using the franchise tag. Weigman should likely be signed as Centers are hard to come by. A few others on this list could be quality contributors as role players and or special teams guys...I'd let Turley, and Parker go (unless they accept roles as backups, and get paid as backups)

The first priority outside Allen, should be getting a quality Offensive Tackle. Faneca and Starks are the known names that might be available...but others that should be considered and may be better values (allowing for other acquisitions) are:

Flozell Adams (DAL)
    Jordan Gross (CAR)
    Adrian Jones (NYJ) (could come cheap, has big potential)

I'd look for a solid OL or two in the draft also (preferrable a Tackle early and a Guard in the 3rd or 4th round.)

Secondly 1 or 2 quality DBs...Samuel is the name on this years list, but Drayton Florence (SD) and Marcus Trufant (Sea) will likely both be available and would be better values (based on $$$ they'll command)

Finally I'd draft a big DT in the first or 2nd round next year. Guessing that the Chiefs will pick around 9th or 10th, Sedrick Ellis (USC) should be around still, if not the first round pick of an OT would be a great addition. Chris Williams (Vanderbilt) may move up before draft day, but I'm guessing he'll be there around 10...and I like him better than some of the guys Kiper ranks higher.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I think most of the crowd has been calling for Carl's head as well. I see it everywhere. However as for the comment about his QBs getting injured, I'd call it a fluke except your point about his lack of emphasis (draft or free agent) on the O-line is a huge contributing factor both in NY and KC when it comes to the health of his QB. Huard got a year older but he didn't change that much from one season to the next...the difference is the loss of the final cog to that dominant KC O-line. It is unfortunate that Roaf and Shields both retired in the last couple years, but the difference between Carl Peterson and the GMs that have perrennial contending teams is that it is the GMs job to have a 2-5 year plan, and the coaches job to have a focus and plan for the next game. Sure Carl has to draft players that Herm wants, and fit his system, but he also has to say, umm Herm, we have two All-pro linemen in their mid 30s...we might want to grab that Winston Justice kid from USC, (or someone similar) here in the 2nd or 3rd round.

BOTH guys are culpable in the makeup of the team...only Herm is responsible for the lousy scheme considering his personnel.
    We're in about year twenty of Carl's five year plan.

And now Curtis is gone with injuries.

That equals Herm's style off offense. Kill the Offense to let the defense look good.

Why don't you just post an entire thread to praising Herm? Obviously you can't see past Carl and see our current threat.
    The O-line was being mentioned before and during the draft but nobody anticipated our line being THIS BAD. On paper, the line didn't look as bad as they are performing. We got a better OT to replace Black, kept Waters and Wiegman and moved another OT to his natural position at Guard to replace a VERY OLD Shields. The only REAL question mark was at the other OT spot.

Now that management realized these players couldn't perform either to their usual standard or to their potential, i think the problem will be addressed this offseason. Even if Carl Peterson is still here for the next draft (which i doubt), even he isn't stupid enough NOT to fix the line this year.

This crap just needs to be dropped. I'm not going to change y'alls mind because y'all see losses and want to fire people with no reguard to the progress being made on this team. Seems like y'all got spoiled with a good offense and all you ppl want are points...not titles.

If winning titles is all about offense, how come we didn't get at least ONE with Vermiel?...anyone?

Exactly...you can't run out a JV high school defense on the field and expect to compete. Now that we have an NFL defense on the field we should be patient enough to allow him to fix the offense. 3-4 more years at the minimum.

The O-line was being mentioned before and during the draft but nobody anticipated our line being THIS BAD. On paper, the line didn't look as bad as they are performing. We got a better OT to replace Black, kept Waters and Wiegman and moved another OT to his natural position at Guard to replace a VERY OLD Shields. The only REAL question mark was at the other OT spot.

Now that management realized these players couldn't perform either to their usual standard or to their potential, i think the problem will be addressed this offseason. Even if Carl Peterson is still here for the next draft (which i doubt), even he isn't stupid enough NOT to fix the line this year.

This crap just needs to be dropped. I'm not going to change y'alls mind because y'all see losses and want to fire people with no reguard to the progress being made on this team. Seems like y'all got spoiled with a good offense and all you ppl want are points...not titles.

If winning titles is all about offense, how come we didn't get at least ONE with Vermiel?...anyone?

Exactly...you can't run out a JV high school defense on the field and expect to compete. Now that we have an NFL defense on the field we should be patient enough to allow him to fix the offense. 3-4 more years at the minimum.
    The defense has given up everything in the last 4 games and you are defending them?

So you still believe, like Herm, that we should win a lot of games with 10 points?

How has that worked out this year?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

how does this post address the fact Herm has yet to have a real QB?

Did Cower have to come in and COMPLETELY rebuild his defense while his offense retired? I would argue that his first season with an 11-5 record would say otherwise.
    The fact that Herm has never had a "real" Qb is Herm Edwards' fault.

Seems to me that Herm did have a very steady quarterback in '06. Trent Green had some kind of 80-90 start streak going, with a couple of recent Pro Bowls and 4000 yard seasons.

Cowher took over an average team, at 7-9. It took him seven years to return them to a losing record...7-9.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast