Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New England Patriots

Default New England Patriots

16-0? Who will beat them? How far will this thing go?
    Last edited by chief31; 12-04-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Yeah, but almost any team from today would destroy the 1972 Dolphins...the game has changed, nutrition & training have a much larger role, and the caliber of athletes at all positions has increased logarithmically.
    Depends on which rule book you are using. I would imagine if you played by 1972 standards there weren't all that many penalties, especially in regards to protecting the quarterback, they played ruthless back then, not that they don't now, but they couldn't do those things now.

As the old saying goes, any given sunday....

Cliched, but true. The Pats almost lost to the 6-8 Eagles, the 4-10 Ravens, and beat the 3-11 Jets 20-10. And were losing to the Colts 20-10 in the 4th quarter. They can be had.

I'd love to see Miami take em' this Sunday but wouldn't predict that. I have a feeling the Pats will go 16-0, make it to the Super Bowl (but that's no given by any means) and then lose to Green Bay. Brett Favre is having the kind of year where I can see him and his team taking it all.

Can't stand that arrogant Belichick. Hope his team goes down. Besides, they've won enough this decade!

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Depends on which rule book you are using. I would imagine if you played by 1972 standards there weren't all that many penalties, especially in regards to protecting the quarterback, they played ruthless back then, not that they don't now, but they couldn't do those things now.
    I agree to a certain extent, but look at the average weight of the offensive line men now compared to then, that right there would give a team, IMO, a huge advantage.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Nigeriannightmare,

The rulebook issue is a point, beyond the QB, more important would be pass interference and holding calls (or lack thereof), additionally chop blocks, horsecollar tackles, facemasks and other penalties either didn't exist or were virtually never called in the 70s.

However beyond the weight issue that is mentioned, also to be considered should be the speed, height and general athleticism of the players not only at the skill positions, but on both lines and on special teams.

I'm sorry, but I'd put up this years struggling Chiefs against the 72 Dolphins and expect the current players to outperform the previous era.

What the Dolphins did was special...VERY SPEciAL...but to suggest that their players who didn't train year around, didn't have the advantage of sports nutrition, and the technology of today, and didn't have coaching staffs and trainers of today's standards to keep up with todays athlete is just absurd.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    I agree to a certain extent, but look at the average weight of the offensive line men now compared to then, that right there would give a team, IMO, a huge advantage.
    True, true...but highlight reals from that era are insane. They weren't called the purple people eater for nothing...

True, true...but highlight reals from that era are insane. They weren't called the purple people eater for nothing...

Hence the need for the massive O linemen we see today!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Nigeriannightmare,

The rulebook issue is a point, beyond the QB, more important would be pass interference and holding calls (or lack thereof), additionally chop blocks, horsecollar tackles, facemasks and other penalties either didn't exist or were virtually never called in the 70s.

However beyond the weight issue that is mentioned, also to be considered should be the speed, height and general athleticism of the players not only at the skill positions, but on both lines and on special teams.

I'm sorry, but I'd put up this years struggling Chiefs against the 72 Dolphins and expect the current players to outperform the previous era.

What the Dolphins did was special...VERY SPEciAL...but to suggest that their players who didn't train year around, didn't have the advantage of sports nutrition, and the technology of today, and didn't have coaching staffs and trainers of today's standards to keep up with todays athlete is just absurd.
    When Madden 2008 comes out i will simulate a game between the 07 Pats and the 72 Dolphins and we'll have to see who wins....

Rbedgood,

I keep forgetting to tell you that I also am a huge niners fan. Dolphins/niners superbowl in 84 was the first one I remembered watching and a fan ever since. I was fortunate to receive a birthday card and football signed by Joe in 1993. Those of you wondering my dad was the GM at Trader Vic's at the Westin from 1992-1996. All visiting teams stayed there and a lot Chief players dined there. Talk about being a luck kid!!!!

Rbedgood,

I keep forgetting to tell you that I also am a huge niners fan. Dolphins/niners superbowl in 84 was the first one I remembered watching and a fan ever since. I was fortunate to receive a birthday card and football signed by Joe in 1993. Those of you wondering my dad was the GM at Trader Vic's at the Westin from 1992-1996. All visiting teams stayed there and a lot Chief players dined there. Talk about being a luck kid!!!!
    thats pretty cool....except for the part about you being a niners fan!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Rbedgood,

That sounds awesome man!

The Dolphins are my second fav team, and everyone loves Joe.

Being a huge 49'er fan is a little over the top though...

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast