Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travis "Dumba$$" Henry gets away with one...

Default Travis "Dumba$$" Henry gets away with one...

Not to start an argument on the validity or not of including marijuana in the drug policy, but the fact that it is included it should be enforced consistently. I think Henry's victory in this case will weaken the leagues position in the future.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Broncos running back Travis Henry wins appeal, avoids suspension for drug test

DENVER (AP) -- Broncos running back Travis Henry won his appeal of a one-year suspension over a failed drug test Tuesday. The NFL informed Henry in September he had failed a test for marijuana. He disputed the results and sued the NFL to avoid a suspension. He contended the league violated its substance abuse policy by not allowing an expert of Henry's choosing to be present for the testing.
    Henry's lawyer Harvey Steinberg told The Associated Press that he wasn't surprised by the decision.

"I'm thrilled," Steinberg said. "I always thought we should prevail. I knew that if we got a fair shake, based on the evidence, we'd win. Travis knows and he's absolutely thrilled and relieved and very happy."
    The Broncos issued a statement that said they were "pleased with this outcome and happy that Travis has been absolved of any wrongdoing with respect to this matter."
    Henry appealed his suspension in early November. He earned the full support of Broncos coach Mike Shanahan after he passed a polygraph test and had a hair sample come back negative for marijuana.
    League spokesman Greg Aiello said that had no bearing on the decision.
    "The defense of hair samples and lie detector tests was irrelevant and unconvincing," Aiello said in a statement. "But our substance abuse program is based on meeting the highest standards and respecting player rights in all phases of its administration."
    Aiello said in a release that Henry will remain in the league's substance abuse program. Henry served a four-game drug-related suspension while with the Tennessee Titans in 2005.
    But Steinberg wasn't sure if Henry would remain in the program or cycle out.
    "That's going to be interesting," Steinberg said. "I think he was due to be let out."
    The Broncos signed Henry to a five-year, $22.5 million free agent contract that included $12 million in guarantees this offseason after the Titans released him in a cost-cutting move.
    Henry had missed the last three games with a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. However, he returned to the backfield in a loss to Oakland on Sunday, carrying the ball 15 times for 49 yards and two touchdowns. He also had the ball stripped away on a hit, and had another bound away when he and Jay Cutler messed up a handoff exchange.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKUquO6p5t4"]YouTube - Really? wth Seth & Amy[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Exactly, you'd think that with the money he makes he could pay someone to urinate for him.
    I was more suggesting he could remove himself from the situation where he was going to be exposed to the substance in question. I work for a company that has the right to drug test. I drive a company vehicle...therefore I haven't been to a concert in about 8-10 years. Would I have loved to have gone to Van Halen a few weeks back, or go to the reggae festival with my buddy last summer...YEAH, but I know I could lose my job, so I don't.

Oh, p.s. Travis Henry makes enough money and has 8 more kids than I do...he should care more than me...not LESS.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

To sum it all up Henry has basically used his money to buy a lawyer that the NFL couldn't afford?

Highly unlikely. There must have been mitigating circumstances.

If we are supposed to trust the legal system, which I don't, then how does one not accept their verdict?

Michael Vick was convicted and condemned. Why shouldn't Henry have the same luxury of the law?
    Last edited by hermhater; 12-05-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I don't hate the Broncos the way you guys do...I just don't like that the rules aren't applied the same for everyone. He pissed in a cup, and tested positive for Marijuana. His "story" is that it was "secondhand". When I was in high school I was smart enough to know that secondhand marijuana smoke must get in your system if it can get you "high". Seems to me that a 27 year old man should be able to figure that out also.

He is already on the drug program from a previously failed test a couple years ago...he knew he'd be tested. I feel that he should be suspended, secondhand or not.

Merriman should've said he got his steroids "secondhand"!!!! Maybe he could've avoided his punishment too!!!

Not to start an argument on the validity or not of including marijuana in the drug policy, but the fact that it is included it should be enforced consistently. I think Henry's victory in this case will weaken the leagues position in the future.
    Quote:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Broncos running back Travis Henry wins appeal, avoids suspension for drug test

DENVER (AP) -- Broncos running back Travis Henry won his appeal of a one-year suspension over a failed drug test Tuesday. The NFL informed Henry in September he had failed a test for marijuana. He disputed the results and sued the NFL to avoid a suspension. He contended the league violated its substance abuse policy by not allowing an expert of Henry's choosing to be present for the testing.
    Henry's lawyer Harvey Steinberg told The Associated Press that he wasn't surprised by the decision.

"I'm thrilled," Steinberg said. "I always thought we should prevail. I knew that if we got a fair shake, based on the evidence, we'd win. Travis knows and he's absolutely thrilled and relieved and very happy."
    The Broncos issued a statement that said they were "pleased with this outcome and happy that Travis has been absolved of any wrongdoing with respect to this matter."
    Henry appealed his suspension in early November. He earned the full support of Broncos coach Mike Shanahan after he passed a polygraph test and had a hair sample come back negative for marijuana.
    League spokesman Greg Aiello said that had no bearing on the decision.
    "The defense of hair samples and lie detector tests was irrelevant and unconvincing," Aiello said in a statement. "But our substance abuse program is based on meeting the highest standards and respecting player rights in all phases of its administration."
    Aiello said in a release that Henry will remain in the league's substance abuse program. Henry served a four-game drug-related suspension while with the Tennessee Titans in 2005.
    But Steinberg wasn't sure if Henry would remain in the program or cycle out.
    "That's going to be interesting," Steinberg said. "I think he was due to be let out."
    The Broncos signed Henry to a five-year, $22.5 million free agent contract that included $12 million in guarantees this offseason after the Titans released him in a cost-cutting move.
    Henry had missed the last three games with a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. However, he returned to the backfield in a loss to Oakland on Sunday, carrying the ball 15 times for 49 yards and two touchdowns. He also had the ball stripped away on a hit, and had another bound away when he and Jay Cutler messed up a handoff exchange.

This sounds like he won the appeal for sound reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I don't hate the Broncos the way you guys do...I just don't like that the rules aren't applied the same for everyone. He pissed in a cup, and tested positive for Marijuana. His "story" is that it was "secondhand". When I was in high school I was smart enough to know that secondhand marijuana smoke must get in your system if it can get you "high". Seems to me that a 27 year old man should be able to figure that out also.

He is already on the drug program from a previously failed test a couple years ago...he knew he'd be tested. I feel that he should be suspended, secondhand or not.

Merriman should've said he got his steroids "secondhand"!!!! Maybe he could've avoided his punishment too!!!
    Since he is using the second hand smoke excuse and got away with it, I would assume he either didn't smoke and it was second hand, or he got drunk and smoked by habit but it was only a hit or two.

Either way, if he was exonerated it should be accepted.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I was more suggesting he could remove himself from the situation where he was going to be exposed to the substance in question. I work for a company that has the right to drug test. I drive a company vehicle...therefore I haven't been to a concert in about 8-10 years. Would I have loved to have gone to Van Halen a few weeks back, or go to the reggae festival with my buddy last summer...YEAH, but I know I could lose my job, so I don't.

Oh, p.s. Travis Henry makes enough money and has 8 more kids than I do...he should care more than me...not LESS.
    I know; I was just making my usual off color humor.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Since he is using the second hand smoke excuse and got away with it, I would assume he either didn't smoke and it was second hand, or he got drunk and smoked by habit but it was only a hit or two.

Either way, if he was exonerated it should be accepted.
    You are kidding about this right??? Seriously, boss I only did the drugs because I was drunk and didn't know better....

You are kidding about this right??? Seriously, boss I only did the drugs because I was drunk and didn't know better....
    ...And didn't inhale!

"it depends on what the meaning of "is" IS...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIP_KDQmXs&feature=related"]YouTube - Clinton, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...[/ame]

"it depends on what the meaning of "is" IS...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast