Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: so...2008

Default so...2008

The following are players the Chiefs should be looking at during the offseason.
    Free Agents:

Max Starks, OT UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Starks is young and massive. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Alan Faneca, OG UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Travelle Wharton, OT UFA Carolina Panthers
    A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence last season was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Jared Allen, DE UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
    Allen’s sack total dropped in ’06, but he still posted 7.5 and raised his tackle total a good deal. He’ll be back in Kansas City for the upcoming season, but there’s a good chance that he’ll try the market out come next offseason. He’s just 25 years of age, and has shown that he is among the league’s best at his position. He’ll be a high priority for several teams once the signing period opens.

Asante Samuel, CB UFA, New England Patriots
    Samuel is quickly becoming known as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, having posted a league-best ten interceptions last season. His interception total was impressive, but so was his ability to stick to receivers on a regular basis. In the first six games of the current season, he has three picks, and has kept up his strong play, continuing to shutdown receivers and helping the Patriots to an undefeated record to this point. If Samuel is not signed to an extension, he’ll command big dollars on the market, especially if he keeps the pace up.

descriptions found at http://footballsfuture.com

2008 DRAFT: These are the players the Chiefs could be lookin at in the draft.

1st RD-
    Jake Long, OT Michigan-The best OT in the draft
    Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.-The next best OT in the draft
    Matt Ryan, QB Boston College-Could be too good to pass on
    Sam Baker, OT USC-3rd best OT in the draft
    Malcom Jenkins, CB Ohio St.-Best CB in the draft
    Glenn Dorsey, DT Miami-Probably the best player in the draft.
    Brian Brohm, QB Louisville-could be too good to pass on
    Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas-could be too good to pass on

2nd RD-
    Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
    Limus Sweed, WR Texas
    Mario Manningham, WR Michigan
    Quentin Groves, DE Auburn
    Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

3rd RD-
    Cheevis Jackson, CB LSU
    Chad Henne, QB Michigan
    Drew Radovich, G USC
    Tashard Choice, RB GT
    Eric Young, G Tennessee
    Tracy Porter, CB Indiana

These are the players I as the GM for the Chiefs would be looking at, assuming they are still on the board when we pick (which, most will be).

Now that you've seen some of the "important" FA players and a few of the players who will be available in the draft, here's what i think the Chiefs could/should do.

Fire Carl Peterson as GM, keep him as the President of the organization.

Demote Mike Solari back to the O-line.

Free agents signees:

Jared Allen- I don't care if we have to use the franchise tag, you don't let a top tier DE go to free agency.

Asante Samuel- The Patriots have shown a reluctance to sign FAs to big contracts and would've probably already signed him to an extension if it was going to happen. The Chiefs need to bring in a CB at the top of his game at some point. Law and Surtain are too old to keep up THIS year, let alone NEXT year.

Alan Faneca- Could be a huge sign for the Chiefs' O-line. With the money we could save with Holmes leaving and the extra cap money we already have, these 4 FAs could be signed.

Max Starks- One of the best OTs in this year's FA class and he's only 25. His upside is huge and he'll keep getting better.

DRAFT-

1ST Rd- I'd love Jake Long, but Ryan Clady out of Boise St. is probably the one that will be on the board when the Chiefs pick. Also, don't be shocked if the Chiefs take a QB here if Brodie doesn't get back on the field and perform the rest of this season.

2nd Rd- Limus Sweed from Texas would be awesome if he fell this far because of his injury his Sr. year, but if it's WR the Chiefs are looking for at this point, Mario Manningham will probably have to be their guy. Personally, I think the Chiefs should take their second OL with Jeff Otah, the tackle from Pitt. (only if they can't sign Starks).

3rd Rd- Cheevis Jackson, CB from LSU would be a popular pick in KC but if we're bringing in 2 OTs with our first 2 picks, we might as well finish off our O-line with another young player in Drew Radovich, G USC. (only if we can't sign Faneca) But, CB would be great here. Another interesting name could be Chad Henne considering how Brodie does from here on out.

in a recap, the Chiefs would add:

Asante Samuel, CB
    Max Starks, OT
    Alan Faneca, OG
    Ryan Clady, OT
    Mario Manningham, WR
    Cheevis Jackson, CB

So, the new O-line would be:

TE-Gonzo
    OT-Starks
    OG-Waters
    C-Wiegman
    OG-Faneca
    OT-Clady
    TE-Dunn

i think with adding another WR, 2 new CBs and i rebuilt O-line, our offense could take a big step forward next season, not to mention turn our defense from good to dominant.

Ok....rip it apart.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

That post showed a lot of research and some real good ideas, I would love to see all the free agents come here although I think that their are too many other teams that would love to have those guys, think we keep JA and get one of the other FA's maybe although it would be sweet with that lineup.

Overall good job REP added.

Would be nice if Herm gave a sh!t about the Offense.

We will probably keep building the D side and keep the crappy O players we have now. Which is the best, because I would hate to come to the Chiefs and ruin my career as an O player.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Would be nice if Herm gave a sh!t about the Offense.

We will probably keep building the D side and keep the crappy O players we have now. Which is the best, because I would hate to come to the Chiefs and ruin my career as an O player.
    Frankly, i thought we would still be trying to rebuild this defense after Herm's second season, but i think it's obvious where our first draft pick HAS to go. Not to mention where our offseason priorities should be.

There aren't too many positions on defense that you could justify drafting in the first round with the exception of CB. I honestly believe the Chiefs will put a strong effort toward their offense this next off season.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

like i said before training camp,,,TRADE LJ!!! we could get some top draft picks.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

With the foot injury trading LJ for good value may or may not be in the realm of possibilities currently.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    With the foot injury trading LJ for good value may or may not be in the realm of possibilities currently.
    Which is why you trade a 27 year old super stud RB before you pay him an enormous contract and then gets hurt...RBs ARE NOT "franchise players." If you need any proof of this, just look at LJ before Priest; now look at Kolby before LJ. RBs are replaceable pieces.

1st RD draft picks are hard to come by and LJ would've brought in a HUGE bounty.

...But, just another in a long line of horrid mistakes and misteps by Carl Peterson. you think he would've learned his lesson with RBs after Priest. But, he's the one who drafte LJ, so he wanted to keep him.

I still believe that LJ will come through when he is healthy..... See what happens next yr with him and you can save this post. I will bank all of my arrowcash on the fact that he will make a huge difference. Right along side with kolby, I think the will come up with a master plan to use both. Maybe I am just dreamin, but I hope the Hunt family is too.

It is hard to say what LJ will or won't do if his injury can't be discussed. If he has the same injury that Shaun Alexander had a couple years ago, figure on recurring foot and ankle injuries...if it is a less serious injury then he may return to form next year. Especially if the team goes out and pursues one of the 4-5 stud O-linemen that are scheduled for free agency.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

The way Herm uses his running backs they need 3 0r 4 good one,just to get through the year.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast