Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Which thread will timssat1 screw up next????

Default Which thread will timssat1 screw up next????

Get a clue bud!! Two things you should never talk about at the bar or in a public forum....Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by timsatt1 View Post
    food water clothing and shelter ...plus a loving family is all you need in life. Us Americans, yes me included, have trouble comprehending this. I know we feel like we need more than that. But you dont. People on minimum wage survive. No they dont live in the nicest places. But had they put more effort in school and throughout life, in most cases, they would probably be better off.

You have to earn your job and your wage. nothing should be handed to you. I wish they would quit teaching people that they need to rely on government in order to survive. But that is the way it is. So be it. Life was never meant to be perfect.
    How about electricity? Automobile? Car insurance? Don't forget Uncle Sams cut, tax and title, Furniture? Phone? Garbage pickup? College tuition?

You have the mentallity of someone who thinks that prison is a pretty good life, for everyone else. You are just a total humanitarian, aren't you? Try living it, before you reccomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    How about electricity? Automobile? Car insurance? Don't forget Uncle Sams cut, tax and title, Furniture? Phone? Garbage pickup? College tuition?

You have the mentallity of someone who thinks that prison is a pretty good life, for everyone else. You are just a total humanitarian, aren't you? Try living it, before you reccomend it.
    It's easy to live like tim when you work and live with daddy.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    I try to stay away from political commentary in public, so I won't weigh in on one side or the other, but minimum wage is hard. You can survive, but timsatt1, start doing the math. Assume you work 50 hrs a week @ minimum wage. Now assume you are married with 2 young kids (pre-school age).

Now look around in a big city and see where you can live. How much do you have left over for groceries / car / bills? Now -- how much is left over for clothes / toys / books / etc. for the kids.

It doesn't work. And guess what, you now live in a bad-education part of town (that's what you could afford). So your kids won't get a good education. But maybe you will spend hours with them a day supplementing? Nope - you are working more than one job if you make minimum wage and have a family. Looks like the kids will have a hard time "just doing better in school" as you said their parents should have done.

Poverty (and yes minimum wage for a family of 4 is poverty) breeds poverty. It is a viscous cycle.

Talk politics if you want. But don't talk about things that you don't know about and act like it's not a big deal -- people live it every day and it is a big deal, and there is no easy solution like "well, you should have just avoided it".
    well then lets give them government handouts so that they will go to college and not work hard like their parents didnt and drop out and still be in the same position as their parents were only a lot of tax payers are out of money now.

i realize it is hard. The answer is Church, not government.

government is not the solution. I would rather churches help out needy families before government.

excuse me, what i mean is they can find help in the right church.

but the real answer is for their parents to find a time machine and do things right the next time. You know, dont party, get addicted to drugs, overspend on your credit card......work hard, be the best worker at your company always show up on time always do the right thing. The real problem is with the individual, not the government.
    Last edited by timsatt1; 12-11-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Minimum wage is just that, a minimum. If you need more (and I'd argue you do to support a family of 4) then get a job with more responsibilities or skills required. As for the role of government/church, I won't get into my full opinion on this.

Rather I'll state that I can see some argument on both sides of the scale. From the pure "Economics" side (against minimum wage) our economy is based on capitalism, which means supply and demand in the market drive prices. Not only the price of goods, but also the price-value of your services. Minimum wage is a hinderance to a free-market system. Additionally creating a minimum wage simply drives up prices of goods correcting whatever if any relief the minimum wage hike creates.

Although from a humanitarian side obviously very few if any of us want to see anyone particularly children suffer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

so if anyone is truly concerned about the humanitary side of things....what are you personally doing to help? nothing? well there lies the problem. There is more than enough opportunities out there to go and help.

THat is the answer more so than giving government more tax dollars that they can waiste. More government is never the right answer. More social programs is not good.

so if anyone is truly concerned about the humanitary side of things....what are you personally doing to help? nothing? well there lies the problem. There is more than enough opportunities out there to go and help.

THat is the answer more so than giving government more tax dollars that they can waiste. More government is never the right answer. More social programs is not good.
    Personally, I do volunteer work for a few organizations, including but not limited to my local church. I have paid my fair share of taxes over the years for sure, just to see that money go down the drain for the most part.

I do feel that it is important for us to be well rounded individuals, but I am here in large part to feed the sports-crazed football addicted part of my well-rounded self. So back to football.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Personally, I do volunteer work for a few organizations, including but not limited to my local church. I have paid my fair share of taxes over the years for sure, just to see that money go down the drain for the most part.

I do feel that it is important for us to be well rounded individuals, but I am here in large part to feed the sports-crazed football addicted part of my well-rounded self. So back to football.
    most of the time, the people that are for more taxes on the "rich", against tax cuts because they think the rich already have too much, and feel sorry for the poor although they dont do anything for them...just feel sorry for em, are liberals.

liberals are good at feeling sorry for people, just bad about doing something for them. they dont have any problem taking other peoples money to help them, but cant do anything on their own. Liberals are sad sad people.

most of the time, the people that are for more taxes on the "rich", against tax cuts because they think the rich already have too much, and feel sorry for the poor although they dont do anything for them...just feel sorry for em, are liberals.

liberals are good at feeling sorry for people, just bad about doing something for them. they dont have any problem taking other peoples money to help them, but cant do anything on their own. Liberals are sad sad people.
    For the people by the people. Yet, no one wants to spend the money to take care of anyone else. Tell me, when you're volunteering at the soup kitchen, do you ask if someone is a liberal before offering them soup?
    Everything happens for a reason.

What are you doing to help besides spewing a bunch of hot air into the room?

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    What are you doing to help besides spewing a bunch of hot air into the room?
    ok so i sort of set myself up for this question...but i volunteer 10 hours during monday through friday (6pm-8pm now (was 7-9pm 2 weeks ago and prior) with an autistic 4 year old. then i also watch him at the church he goes to while his parents attend the service.

this isnt to brag. this is to show that there are people out there, many people in fact that really dont just live for themselves.

everyone should find some way to help out the needy. That is the solution but it isnt taxing the rich so that part of that tax money goes to the needy and most of it gets waisted.

you never hear about these people or the impact of the American churches that help the poor because there is a liberal media out there that doesnt want you to know this. you are all brainwashed. simple as that. I know i will never convince you of anything, but i will never stop speaking the truth.

if you want to help the "problem", there are problems all around you, you just have to actually do something about it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast