Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Bush to lose Heisman?!

Default Reggie Bush to lose Heisman?!

Personally, the amount of money these college players generate for their schools to me they should get paid. But as they have all agreed to the NCAA rules they should abide by them. I just wonder does this mean Matt Leinart gets the 2005 Heisman (didn't he finish second, or did Vince Young)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...yhoo&type=lgns

Bush Hit With Book

Nearly two years after Reggie Bush won the Heisman Trophy, a book detailing improper benefits he allegedly received while playing for the University of Southern California and his relationship with the financiers of a fledgling sports marketing company could further damage his chances of keeping the most prestigious award in college sports.
    The book, "Tarnished Heisman" by Don Yaeger and Jim Henry, published by Simon & Schuster, will include transcripts of recorded conversations that contain Bush acknowledging he owed money to the financiers of New Era Sports & Entertainment. Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels of New Era planned to feature Bush as their marquee client to launch their marketing agency. The business failed after Bush sought representation elsewhere.
    The book will be released in mid-January.
    Meanwhile, the NCAA interviewed three people this week who claim knowledge of the approximately $300,000 in cash and other benefits allegedly given to Bush by Lake and Michaels. The benefits included Bush's family living rent-free in a new home in a San Diego suburb for one year. Bush also allegedly received money for a car, spending money and had hotel stays paid for. Other allegations include furniture being purchased for the Bush family, travel expenses paid and free dinners provided.
    Barbara Gunner and Lisa Lake met with the NCAA on Tuesday and the organization met with Lemuel Campbell on Wednesday. Gunner is the mother of Lloyd Lake. Lisa Lake is Lloyd Lake's sister. Campbell is Lisa Lake's ex-husband, who was expected to be an officer in New Era.
    Gunner and Lisa Lake spoke to the NCAA about how they helped Lloyd Lake by lending him money to get New Era started. They also discussed their encounters with Bush and his family, including stepfather LaMar Griffin and mother Denise Griffin.
    In November, the NCAA interviewed Lloyd Lake, listening to a portion of the recordings he made of conversations between himself, Bush and LaMar Griffin.
    Yahoo! Sports, which in April 2006 broke the story of Bush receiving benefits, has also heard a portion of the recorded conversations.
    Yaeger is a former writer and editor for Sports Illustrated who has written 14 books. Henry is a sportswriting veteran of more than 20 years with The St. Petersburg Times, The Tampa Tribune and The Tallahassee Democrat.
    Beyond the transcripts of the recorded conversations, the book will include extensive interviews with Lloyd Lake, Gunner, Lisa Lake and others.
    Yaeger said he believes the book could prove significant in pushing forward the NCAA investigation and ultimately lead to Bush losing the Heisman. No player has ever been stripped of the award. The Heisman Trust would decide Bush's fate. This year's Heisman will be presented Saturday in New York.
    "My belief is that Heisman voters will have another decision to make in the near future," Yaeger said.
    Henry said after he listened to the recorded conversations and examined documents, he was convinced Bush and his family received the improper benefits.
    "At the end of the day I asked myself did I believe Lloyd Lake and his family. The answer was yes," Henry said.
    Lloyd Lake filed suit against Bush in San Diego County Court in October, alleging Bush, his stepfather and mother promised to repay money that was advanced to them.
    According to sources and documents obtained by Yahoo! Sports, Bush agreed to join New Era in exchange for the benefits and partial ownership of the company. But he reneged on that agreement and then never repaid what he was advanced, sources said. Bush reached a settlement with Michaels in March 2007, paying Michaels between $200,000 and $300,000.
    In the book, Lloyd Lake discusses how he first met Bush when the running back was a star at Helix High in San Diego. They maintained a relationship over the years and allegedly agreed late in 2004 to start the sports marketing company.
    Their relationship would coincide with the end of the 2004 season, when USC went undefeated and won the national championship against Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. Thus, the investigation could jeopardize the Trojans' title.
    It could also impact victories from the 2005 season, when Bush helped USC return to the national championship game, which the Trojans lost to Texas.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

LOL @ Reggie Bush, USC, and every other college in the country. This crap happens everywhere. College football is a joke anyway. The COTTON BOWL!?!?!?!?

F**K KU, OU, the BCS and the hell they all spawned from!
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

IMO, the team that got screwed the most was undefeated Hawaii. They are 12-0 and have no chance at a National Title. I could understand if there were multiple undefeated teams...but there's not. In fact they are the only ones. There should be a playoff (at least 8 teams, if not 16). But at the very least if not, Hawaii should be in the title game.

I'm a Cal fan, my team jobbed itself by losing 4 in a row in the middle of the season, all of which should've been winnable games. However just a couple years ago a 5th ranked Cal team got screwed out of a BCS-berth. So we know about getting BCS(crewed).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Missouri should have got the BCS bid instead of Kansas.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    Missouri should have got the BCS bid instead of Kansas.
    What he said!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    LOL @ Reggie Bush, USC, and every other college in the country. This crap happens everywhere. College football is a joke anyway. The COTTON BOWL!?!?!?!?

F**K KU, OU, the BCS and the hell they all spawned from!

The blame goes solely on the BCS and Orange Bowl committee. It was actually a blessing in disguise for MU and put all the pressure on KU. KU has to win this game to obtain ANY respect for their season.

MU got the better match up and really, the better bowl for recruiting with in TEXAS.

The BCS did screw MU but in the long run, I really think it works out well for MU.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    The blame goes solely on the BCS and Orange Bowl committee. It was actually a blessing in disguise for MU and put all the pressure on KU. KU has to win this game to obtain ANY respect for their season.

MU got the better match up and really, the better bowl for recruiting with in TEXAS.

The BCS did screw MU but in the long run, I really think it works out well for MU.
    That's a good point, and KU is going to be absolutely killed. My ex-wife is a KU fan, so I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    That's a good point, and KU is going to be absolutely killed. My ex-wife is a KU fan, so I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.
    Where the hell did you go?

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post

Good point. I wasn't thinking of it that way.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Yeah, it looks good on paper.

Hearing KU say "ORANGE" is still hard to take....

BTW - Mangini said "some people are critical of our record because we didn't play teams like OK & TX. Well they are on the schedule next year".

DUH - I think he just guaranteed KU to not make a BCS game.

KU's opponents combined record was WELL below 500. Three of their wins were against 2A schools. Record against teams finishing in top 20 was 0-1. No division championship. Didn't play in conference championship.

Just ridiculous.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast