Thread: Bonds in court

Default Bonds in court

I'm a Giants fan (baseball), but I'm not an idiot. Bonds did steroids and it seems he lied about it. What idiot really believes he didn't "know" what he was putting into his 15 milllion dollar a year body. Anyhow, it appears the perjury trial process is about to start.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds arrived at federal court Friday, waving to a crowd of onlookers, before his arraignment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges.
    The home run king went through the metal detectors in the lobby of the federal district courthouse and took the elevator to the 19th floor, where the hearing was scheduled.
    It marks Bonds' first public appearance since he was indicted Nov. 15. He is expected to plead not guilty to four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction after being charged with lying to a grand jury about using performance-enhancing drugs. If he's convicted, the five charges could mean more than two years of prison time.
    Television satellite trucks lined the streets around the courthouse -- some having staked out a spot more than 20 hours before. San Francisco Giants fans joined reporters and other spectators, who presumably hoped to catch a glimpse of Bonds upon his arrival.
    A 43-year-old travel agent from Sacramento was holding a broomstick with a witch costume hanging from it. He carried a sign welcoming the crowd to what he called a George Mitchell "witchhunt," referring to the baseball steroids investigator. Across from the courthouse, a giant marquee reading "Say it ain't so, Barry," hung from a tire store.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I could really care less if Bonds did steroids or not, he's just a royal prick.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Actually, I've met the guy. The media portrays him as a prick, but he's pretty personable. He is a prick to the media guys, and had issues with Jeff Kent. But he's really never had issues with any other teammate or coach in 20 years in MLB...that says something. The only issue he has is with media members.

I met him by chance as I was in the US Airways Club in Phoenix. I am a frequent flyer, and spend a lot of time at the airport. I walked into the US Airways Club that particularly day in March and handed them my card to check in. As they handed me my card back, I looked to my left and stood there in shock. The utterance that came out of my mouth was pretty classic and completely off the cuff. It went..."Holy sh--, you're Barry Bonds". Of course it worked out for me that I had my Giants golf shirt on, and it was friggin' pouring in Phoenix so both of our flights were delayed. I was the only person in the club other than his family. We talked for about 20 minutes, about baseball, life, etc. He was pretty cool. He didn't just want to talk baseball, he wanted to know about my life, what I did, my family. Asked to see a picture of my kid...(had just put one on my computer of my son and I in Giants garb).

I always assumed that he was a prick, based on the media reports and such. I still think he is a lousy role model, mostly because of the dishonesty about steroids and such. But he isn't the hard-a$$ that the media makes him out to be.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

While researching steroids last night, I found out that heavy steroid users can be on a high while their on their steroid cycle. Maybe he was high.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Actually, I've met the guy. The media portrays him as a prick, but he's pretty personable. He is a prick to the media guys, and had issues with Jeff Kent. But he's really never had issues with any other teammate or coach in 20 years in MLB...that says something. The only issue he has is with media members.

I met him by chance as I was in the US Airways Club in Phoenix. I am a frequent flyer, and spend a lot of time at the airport. I walked into the US Airways Club that particularly day in March and handed them my card to check in. As they handed me my card back, I looked to my left and stood there in shock. The utterance that came out of my mouth was pretty classic and completely off the cuff. It went..."Holy sh--, you're Barry Bonds". Of course it worked out for me that I had my Giants golf shirt on, and it was friggin' pouring in Phoenix so both of our flights were delayed. I was the only person in the club other than his family. We talked for about 20 minutes, about baseball, life, etc. He was pretty cool. He didn't just want to talk baseball, he wanted to know about my life, what I did, my family. Asked to see a picture of my kid...(had just put one on my computer of my son and I in Giants garb).

I always assumed that he was a prick, based on the media reports and such. I still think he is a lousy role model, mostly because of the dishonesty about steroids and such. But he isn't the hard-a$$ that the media makes him out to be.
    For every one of these stories, there are 20 on the other side of the coin. I am an ASU grad and could give you several. Ask me how much money he has donated to the college( baseball program ) he supposedly loves so much. $0.00!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't even look like he will have to show up in court Feb 7, his lawyers are gonna take care of it for him.

The guy has money and will probably beat the rap.

Batters have been hitting against pitchers who are on steroids, so it kind of evened the playing field in my opinion.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    It doesn't even look like he will have to show up in court Feb 7, his lawyers are gonna take care of it for him.

The guy has money and will probably beat the rap.

Batters have been hitting against pitchers who are on steroids, so it kind of evened the playing field in my opinion.
    Even? So far 10 pitchers have been suspended, and only 7 "field players". The list of "speculated offenders" who haven't been caught is sufficiently stacked with both pitchers and hitters. So I'd continue to believe that more pitchers were offenders than hitters. Sure HRs increased, but how many guys are throwing mid-90s heat in the last decade compared to the 80s and before.

While we are on the Bonds issue, and talking 'roids in another thread, I would like to express my views on the "asterisk" debate.

For me, the idea of an asterisk is just silly. Many want one by every player of this era.

The fact is that while the "'roids era" has gven player many advantages, thus altering the stats, every era has had different advantages.

How many split-finger fastballs did Babe Ruth hit out of the park? How many black atheletes did he have to play against? How many Sliders did Henry Aaron send out of the park? How many years of preparation for the slider, and split-finger fastball did Mike Schmitt have, before joining the major leagues?

There are decisive advantages, and disadvantages to each "era" of baseball, and there will be more as new eras arrive.

As for the notion that steroids do not help a hitter to hit the baseball... BULL****!!!!! They do help with exactly that. They often intensify your every action. If unnatural intensity doesn't help you to hit a baseball, then natural intensity wouldn't either. So lazy people should do just as well then. (<Obvious exaggeration.)

And for Bonds' personallity? He is a putz to the media. Well, the media is his only rescource for reaching me. Therefore, he has been a putz to me. But I don't really care about that. I certainly don't take any offense from it. So, I really don't care what kind of person he is.