Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Irvin?!?!?!?!?!

Default Irvin?!?!?!?!?!

What the He77 is wrong with the people who vote for the H.O.F.? Someone please tell me, in what universe does Michael Irvin get in before guys like Richard Dent, our own D.T., and for the love of absolutely anything, Art Monk?!?!?!?!?!?!

Art was the all-time leading reciever, when he retired. Michael Irvin was a drug dealer. That's exactly the kind of message we want to send to the players, fans, and everyone involved with the game. Run your fat mouth and be a trouble making show-off, get into the hall of fame, right away. Shut up and be the best, never get any recognition. This should tell us who gets in first, when it comes to Marvin Harrison vs. Terrell Owens.

The Hall of Fame has decided to become a trash can. I thought it was a bad enough joke, that Art has been over-looked for the past several years. But this is a humiliating slap in the face to Art Monk and players who played with any form of class, whatsoever. Here is the new formula to get in - Make alot of noise, break as many laws as you can, and make sure that you hold the game of football in, clammoring, contempt.

Today the N.F.L. should be ashamed of themselves. I am humiliated by this and have lost all respect for the H.O.F. voting committee.

DT is tied with Paul Tagliabue

Irvin, Thomas are crowd-pleasers in 2007 Hall of Fame class

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

CANTON, Ohio | They combined for seven Super Bowls appearances, three NFL championships, 28,442 yards of offense and 153 touchdowns.
    And former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin and Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas accounted for a majority of the blue-and-white clad crowd attending the first prime-time Pro Football Hall of Fame inductions on Saturday night.
    “The heart and soul of those championship teams was Michael Irvin,” said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, whose clubs won three Super Bowls during 1992-95.
    Irvin spread credit among his teammates and coaches for the Cowboys’ success.
    “We won three Super Bowls in four years, and I can’t tell you what that feels like,” Irvin said. “We did that with guys we loved to play with and guys we loved. That’s the essence of a football family. That’s what we are. Not was, but are.”
    Irvin also touched on the personal issues in his life. He had several run-ins with police, including arrests involving drugs.
    “I had my problems, and I made some bad decisions,” he said, while addressing his two sons. “Whatever you do, don’t let me mess this (fatherhood) up.”
    Thomas was introduced by former Bills coach Marv Levy, who said, “I don’t believe there has ever been a more complete player at his position than Thurman.”
    Thomas, who scored 87 touchdowns in his career, recalled his first one in the 1982 opener against Minnesota.
    “I spiked the ball,” he said, addressing Levy. “When I came over to the sidelines, you had this look in your eye like you were very upset at me. You grabbed my jersey and said, ‘Why did you spike the ball?’ I said, ‘Coach, every little kid that ever watches football wants to do that at least one time in his career.’
    “He said, ‘Well, that’s great, don’t do it again. Act like you’ve been there before.’ After that, I never spiked the ball again.”
    Bruce Matthews, who played every position on the line during his 19-season career, cited his father, Clay, who played four years for San Francisco, and older brother, Clay Jr., who spent 16 seasons with Cleveland and three for Atlanta.
    “Since the Browns were a division rival, I got to play against him 23 times,” Matthews said of his brother, “and getting to play against your idol twice a year was one of the highlights of my career.”
    Charlie Sanders, elected by the Seniors Committee, concluded his remarks by thanking his mother, who died when he was 2.
    “Of all the things I’ve done in football, there’s one thing I really regretted,” Sanders said. “Many times, I’ve seen athletes, college and professional, often look into a television, and say, ‘Hi, Mom.’ I always thought that was special, and always something I wanted to do but couldn’t.
    “So I take this time, right here, right now in Canton, Ohio, at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, to say, ‘Hi, Mom.’ Thank you for the ultimate sacrifice.”
    Gene Hickerson, also selected by the Seniors Committee, was represented by his son, Bob. Hickerson, 72, is battling the effects of Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia and did not address the crowd.

Sweets Guest

Irvin sucked, his "trying to be humble" speech was pathetic, boring and totally not believable. I f*ing hate him. (can you tell?)

Actually I really enjoyed Bruce Matthews and Thurman Thomas' speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
    Irvin sucked, his "trying to be humble" speech was pathetic, boring and totally not believable. I f*ing hate him. (can you tell?)

Actually I really enjoyed Bruce Matthews and Thurman Thomas' speech.
    You have plenty of company around here. Not too many Irvin fans.

“I had my problems, and I made some bad decisions,” he said, while addressing his two sons. “Whatever you do, don’t let me mess this (fatherhood) up.”
    WHAT??? How about this: ACT LIKE A FREAKIN RESPONSIBLE ADULT! This guy is a real piece of work.

where would he be in Mr. Goodell's NFL? Yeah it truly is a sad day when they let that garbage in the hall. It was on my list to do, visit the hall-but that was always to be a hall of honor?? must have cost Jerry a pretty penny to get them all to vote him in!!!!!!!!!IMO

Obviously not many here like him too much for obvious reasons but the dude could play some football huh!!??!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Obviously not many here like him too much for obvious reasons but the dude could play some football huh!!??!!
    No two ways about that!!! He was an incredible football player. I believe that he earned the HOF with his play, eventhough I dislike him and he is a creep.

My big problem with him getting in is that Art Monk has been overlooked, for him. Monk was a quiet prformer, who was the all-time leader in recieving yards, when he retired. While Irnin was a "bad boy" with lesser stats.

Sweets Guest

I hate him, but I don't agree with most of the people here, he does deserve to be in the HOF for his football efforts but I don't think he should have gotten in before Art Monk and a few others. He was a hell of a HOF football player.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

My big problem with him getting in is that Art Monk has been overlooked, for him. Monk was a quiet prformer, who was the all-time leader in recieving yards, when he retired. While Irnin was a "bad boy" with lesser stats.
    I have to agree chief31, Monk should have been in the Hall a long time ago. I think it's sad when we vote people in the Hall by popularity. Maybe Art should get pulled over for speeding to get some recognition. That seems like the only way to get noticed these days. Hands down, Art was a way better receiver. I vote for Art anyday.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast