Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DT Gets snubbed!

Default DT Gets snubbed!

DT was my favorite player. It pisses me off when he gets snubbed like this:

GRETZ: Disappointment for D.T.
    Feb 03, 2007, 8:50:52 PM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

MIAMI – It seemed the perfect way to close the circle on the football career of Derrick Thomas.

The former Chiefs linebacker was born and raised in Miami. Tragically, he died in Miami seven years ago this coming week. Miami seemed the perfect place to close the circle.

But the Pro Football Hall of Fame Board of Selectors did not go for that script ending and passed on the opportunity to induct Thomas.

In what was a sometimes contentious 6½-hour meeting at the Miami Beach Convention Center, the group of 40 voters inducted six new members into the Hall of Fame: guard Gene Hickerson, tight end Charley Sanders, wide receiver Michael Irvin, guard Bruce Matthews, running back Thurman Thomas and cornerback Roger Wehrli.

A group of 17 finalists went into the conference room. After lengthy discussions, there were three votes held, chopping the list from 17 to 10 (actually 11 because of a tie) and then to six. Finally, the committee voted on each of those six in a yes-no vote.

Eliminated in the first round of voting were guard Russ Grimm, punter Ray Guy, guard Bob Kuchenberg, wide receiver Andre Reed, tackle Gary Zimmerman and former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

In the cut from 11 to six, eliminated were Thomas, defensive end Fred Dean, defensive end Richard Dent, wide receiver Art Monk and linebacker Andre Tippett.

All six of the remaining players earned induction.

The discussion that goes on in the meeting room is confidential. But hereÂ’s what I can reveal:

There was no negativity concerning D.T. Nary was heard a critical word about his play or career. In fact, more selectors stood up and spoke in his favor than in any of the previous meetings where he was a finalist.
    There appeared to be a logjam among the pass rushers, yet none of the four – DT, Dent, Dean or Tippett – made the last six. Ultimately, they may have cut the vote so much between the four that it eliminated all of them.
    The most boisterous discussion involved Tagliabue, which lasted just under an hour for him alone. There were passionate opinions both for and against, and plenty of voters were in the middle, taking the stand that his accomplishments deserve enshrinement, but not in his first year as a finalist.
    Both of the seniors candidates were inducted (Hickerson and Sanders) and Wehrli earned induction in what was his last year of eligibility before going into the seniors pool.
    WhatÂ’s next for D.T.? HeÂ’ll go back into the pool of potential candidates that will be discussed for the class of 2008. At some point, the selection committee must address a growing inequity in the induction of defensive players. Six new members this year and just one comes from the defensive side of the ball. It continued a trend in recent seasons thatÂ’s left the defense in the dust.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/02/03/gretz_disappointment_for_dt/

Default Re: DT Gets snubbed!

kenny1937 wrote:
    admin wrote:
    Guru wrote:
    GEt used to this treatment. I believe DT will get in the HOF about the same time that the Chiefs play in a superbowl.
    Next year???? Sweet!
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
    Wow Coach, do you have some inside info, come on now share,(grin), DT and the Super Bowl next year, sounds great to me.

8-) :pint:
    ...Won't happen.

Awww!! It could happen, we have four sumo wrestlers coming over to play guards and tackles, along with a 500 pound center, and they will form a v wedge and open up huge holes for LJ to run through, can't you see it now, grin!!

Besides when they select DT for HOF next year, my DT game worn jersey card will be worth more.

Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

kenny1937 wrote:
    Awww!! It could happen, we have four sumo wrestlers coming over to play guards and tackles, along with a 500 pound center, and they will form a v wedge and open up huge holes for LJ to run through, can't you see it now, grin!!

Besides when they select DT for HOF next year, my DT game worn jersey card will be worth more.

[Larry the cable guy]Now there's real love for DT right there![/Larry the cable guy] :roll:

Larry the cable guy? I don't know the gentleman, but he better stay out of my Chief card collection, grin, besides I would not part with my card that has a piece of DT's jersey that he wore in a game. Let Larry get his own card!!

Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

kenny1937 wrote:
    Larry the cable guy? I don't know the gentleman, but he better stay out of my Chief card collection, grin, besides I would not part with my card that has a piece of DT's jersey that he wore in a game. Let Larry get his own card!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12