Thread: Alan Faneca

Default Alan Faneca

I've seen a lot of posts on here saying that we should try to pick up Faneca as a FA. I found a little article in ESPN magazine about free agents and I thought I'd share it.

He still ranks among the top interior linemen, but his pass protection may be eroding at a time when Pittsburgh's offense is pass-happy. The Steelers have a knack for knowing when to cut ties with aging players.

I'm not arguing for or against him, but all that I keep thinking is the good players that left the Steelers and went elsewhere and kind of sucked it up. Joey Porter or Kendrell Bell, anyone?
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    I've seen a lot of posts on here saying that we should try to pick up Faneca as a FA. I found a little article in ESPN magazine about free agents and I thought I'd share it.

He still ranks among the top interior linemen, but his pass protection may be eroding at a time when Pittsburgh's offense is pass-happy. The Steelers have a knack for knowing when to cut ties with aging players.

I'm not arguing for or against him, but all that I keep thinking is the good players that left the Steelers and went elsewhere and kind of sucked it up. Joey Porter or Kendrell Bell, anyone?
    I would agree with the defensive players of the Steelers. I think many of the players benefited from the defensive scheme and many other talented players they have on defense that eliminate double teams.

I don't think the same would be said about Pittsburgh offense. At least it wouldn't be said by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I would agree with the defensive players of the Steelers. I think many of the players benefited from the defensive scheme and many other talented players they have on defense that eliminate double teams.

I don't think the same would be said about Pittsburgh offense. At least it wouldn't be said by me.
    I will definitely not argue anyone on this one. I am definitely no where near an expert on offensive linemen. I'm assuming by the article that he's still good at run blocking and that is fine with me!
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I think that Big Ben is pretty elusive (because he is so friggin' huge) and they have been doing pretty well on offense.

It just so happens other divisions have races at the top of their divisions.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

He couldn't possibly be worse then what we line up in front of the QB.

Faneca never has been known for his "pass blocking". In Pittsburgh that hasn't been an issue until this year. A good run-blocking interior lineman is huge for an offense. Even if he is less capable in pass-protection that can be covered up in scheme. You can't cover up an inability to move the defender back in the running game.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat