Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: Why you became a Chiefs fan...

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Why you became a Chiefs fan...


    0 Not allowed!
    Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

    I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

    I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.
    Although it seems we have more, and more local Chiefs fans on this site, you would be surprised at how many Chiefs fans don't even live in KC.

    I, personally, have always been a Chiefs fan.

    No one else in my family could give a hoot about football, I just always loved the team.

    Sorry I don't have an interesting story to tell about how I became a Chiefs fan, but I can tell you that the first Chiefs game I went to was when I was about 13 or 14.

    Since my family are not football fans, I wasn't able to go to a game until our church youth group was allowed to sell programs outside Arrowhead starting about 3 hours before the game.

    Let me tell you it was the coldest I have ever been.

    After we sold our share of programs we were allowed to get tickets for free concessions in the stadium.

    It was freezing cold and the only hot chocolate size they had was a small in a styrofoam cup. Well in my youth, exuberance, and inexperience I requested a large hot chocolate that came in one of those waxed paper cups that soft drinks come in.

    Needless to say, I spent all my tickets on the one drink and couldn't drink it because the wax melted and ruined the hot chocolate.


    Good times man, good times!




    (By the way if you are really doing this for a college paper, you might ask for a little grammatical help as well! )
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,880
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I never lived in Kansas City or close to it. I first started seriously following football in the 1975 season when I was 8. But in '73 and '74 watched a handful of games. In '73 one Monday Night Football game I watched some of was the Chiefs and Bills. I was 6 and my dad let me stay up later that night for some reason. The Chiefs just had charisma for me. I always loved the colors and the logo and the name Chiefs. And when I bought the mini helmets from those quarter machines I loved the Chiefs helmet. And when I bought football cards I loved their cards.
    Some people were (and still are, of course) bandwagon fans and liked the Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders, Vikings, Steelers, because they were the winning teams at the time. But not the case with me. The Chiefs were 5-9 in '74 and '75 but I absolutely loved them.
    I've always been a Chiefs fan, no matter what their record, and always will be.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    2,049
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

    I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.
    Boy, are you asking about fandom at a bad time...lol.

    My dad invited me to go to a game a few years back to be his designated driver. I went, since he was paying for my ticket. I really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere.

    A few months later, I decided to learn about a topic that I could talk to guys about. My dad had turned me on to a Chiefs BB, so I started going there and annoying them with questions. The Chiefs were pretty much the only team I could even pretend to know anything about.

    THe more I learned about football, the more I fell in love with the sport. I have a very analytical mind, and I can be very opinionated. What better sport for someone like me?!? I stayed with the Chiefs in order to have a team to apply my football knowledge to and, more importantly, a team to root for!

    So, my fandom stemmed from a combination of my dad, my taking an interest in a "man" topic, and my first experience at Arrowhead.
    Everything happens for a reason.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO
    Posts
    2,417
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I am one of those that was not from KC originally. I moved into KC in 1990 and was at the time not a football fan. One night I went into a bar to play darts and ended up getting kicked out of the bar because I was between the Chiefs fans and the TV. A few days later I was eating at a local restaurant and met Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas, they were both very very nice and approachable. I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team, I then started watching football and from then I was a hooked Chiefs fan. I have found though that since leaving KC my being a Chiefs fan has grown much stronger. For me it seems that not being able to watch the Chiefs on a weekly basis has made my love of the Chiefs that much stronger.

    I think of the Chiefs as kind of a little brother kinda thing, I feel it is ok for me as a fan to find fault and question decisions about the team, but if a fan of another team does it I am right their to defend my Chiefs.




  6. #6
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    I am one of those that was not from KC originally. I moved into KC in 1990 and was at the time not a football fan. One night I went into a bar to play darts and ended up getting kicked out of the bar because I was between the Chiefs fans and the TV. A few days later I was eating at a local restaurant and met Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas, they were both very very nice and approachable. I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team, I then started watching football and from then I was a hooked Chiefs fan. I have found though that since leaving KC my being a Chiefs fan has grown much stronger. For me it seems that not being able to watch the Chiefs on a weekly basis has made my love of the Chiefs that much stronger.

    I think of the Chiefs as kind of a little brother kinda thing, I feel it is ok for me as a fan to find fault and question decisions about the team, but if a fan of another team does it I am right their to defend my Chiefs.
    Nice!

    Rep added!

    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team." Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

    Also, In response to luv's post: You say that now is a bad time to ask about fandom. What is the reason for this? I have always felt that Chiefs fans were loyal to their team, even after 10+ years without a playoff victory. Why now, after 13 years with no playoff wins, are Chiefs fans losing faith in the team (and refusing to remain loyal)? What has changed?

    (anyone please feel free to reply to these questions).

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team." Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

    Also, In response to luv's post: You say that now is a bad time to ask about fandom. What is the reason for this? I have always felt that Chiefs fans were loyal to their team, even after 10+ years without a playoff victory. Why now, after 13 years with no playoff wins, are Chiefs fans losing faith in the team (and refusing to remain loyal)? What has changed?

    (anyone please feel free to reply to these questions).
    Nothing has changed. This happens every year. I see it all the time around KC.

    Next year it will be the same thing.

    Are you sure you are not me in disguise guy?

    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    2,049
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentoftheGame View Post
    ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team." Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

    Also, In response to luv's post: You say that now is a bad time to ask about fandom. What is the reason for this? I have always felt that Chiefs fans were loyal to their team, even after 10+ years without a playoff victory. Why now, after 13 years with no playoff wins, are Chiefs fans losing faith in the team (and refusing to remain loyal)? What has changed?

    (anyone please feel free to reply to these questions).
    I've been a fan for about three years. This is the first time I've experienced the "don't go to games and stop buying merchandise" crowd. The thought of that attitude makes my blood boil. If you're a fan, you're a fan. Win or lose.

    Anyway. THis line of questions just has me wondering, and please excuse me if I'm wrong.....Chargers fan?
    Everything happens for a reason.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    I've been a fan for about three years. This is the first time I've experienced the "don't go to games and stop buying merchandise" crowd. The thought of that attitude makes my blood boil. If you're a fan, you're a fan. Win or lose.

    Anyway. THis line of questions just has me wondering, and please excuse me if I'm wrong.....Chargers fan?
    Well the guy is moderately articulate, so he is not a Raiders fan...

    He is not trying to pretend like he is still the dominant force in the AFC West, so not a Broncos fan...

    He says he is not a Chiefs fan...

    Hmmmm...

    Is luv onto something?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •