Thread: Petrino Resigns

Default Petrino Resigns

Hmmm...starting from scratch, and Petrino would rather do it elsewhere.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Bobby Petrino resigns as Atlanta Falcons coach after 13 games
    By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- Bobby Petrino resigned as Atlanta Falcons coach on Tuesday, the team said. He lasted only 13 games after moving from college to the NFL.
    Petrino left Louisville to become Falcons coach in January for a five-year, $24 million contract, largely because Atlanta felt he could help star quarterback Michael Vick reach his full potential.
    A few months later, Vick came under investigation for a grisly dogfighting operation that eventually led him to plead guilty to federal charges. He was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison without ever taking a snap for Petrino.
    The Falcons said they would have no further comment on Petrino's decision until a Wednesday news conference with owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay. There was immediate speculation Petrino quit to take a college job, with Arkansas among the schools seeking a coach. The Razorbacks have been looking for a coach for two weeks to replace Houston Nutt, who resigned after a tumultuous season and took the Mississippi job.
    After losing Vick, Petrino tried three starting quarterbacks without success. The Falcons are 3-10 and assured of the 32nd losing season in their 42-year history.

The resignation of Petrino was another jarring blow to the Falcons, who dealt with Vick's legal troubles since the first day of training camp, when a plane flew overhead pulling a sign that said: "New Team Name? Dog Killers?"
    Petrino assembled one of college football's highest-scoring offenses at Louisville, but the Falcons were anemic without Vick. They also were plagued by injuries on the offensive line, which forced them to start two players who weren't even drafted out of college.
    Just hours after Vick's sentencing in Richmond, Va., Atlanta took its fourth straight double-digit loss, 34-14 to the New Orleans Saints.
    "Not a good day," Petrino said afterward.
    The resignation had to be a major surprise to Blank, who fired Jim Mora just two seasons after he led the Falcons to the NFC championship game, and lured Petrino with a lucrative contract.
    Before Monday's game, Blank said he felt better than ever about his decision to hire Petrino given all the adversity the team faced this season.
    "I feel real fortunate we have a terrific guy leading our team, our CEO, in Bobby Petrino," Blank said. "I think he's proven to me he's a better head coach than we thought he was going to be, dealing with a set of cards we didn't see unfold this year, which probably never in the history of the NFL has anything like this happened. Bobby has done a wonderful job dealing with all of these issues. He's kept the players focused." But there were signs of dissension, especially in the way Petrino dealt with his players.
    He ran the team with an aloof style, feeling no reason to share his decisions on personnel with the affected players. He could walk through the locker room without speaking to anyone and was openly criticized by two of the team's stars, Pro Bowlers Alge Crumpler and DeAngelo Hall.

Petrino drew the ire of the veterans with his decision to cut nose tackle Grady Jackson, one of the team's most productive defensive linemen, during the bye week. Quarterback Joey Harrington was clearly perturbed a few weeks ago when, after leading the Falcons to two straight wins, he heard from the media that Petrino still considered injury prone Byron Leftwich the starter.
    Against the Saints, the Falcons made another change at the most crucial offensive position, giving Chris Reedman his first start since 2002. While Redman threw for 298 yards and two touchdowns, the Falcons lost again.
    They have been outscored by an average of 18.5 points in their last four defeats.
    After the latest loss, Petrino sounded as though he was still committed to getting the Falcons turned around.
    "We'll come back on Wednesday to take a look at it, and then we'll get back to work," he said. "We have to find something to rally around." But clearly, Petrino already had decided to abandon the sinking ship.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I'll take the guy if he turns down Arkansas!!!!

Anything to get Herm out of here!

Gawd!!!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I think he resigned as he has the Arkansas job. He's much better suited to the college game. You guys should go after Pete Carroll. (He actually did decent in the NFL before departing)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Who's this Pete Carroll?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Who's this Pete Carroll?
    He coaches some little school in California somewhere. USC or something. University of South Central or something. Atleast that's what it looks like around their stadium!!!!!

QUITTER. When the going gets tough.....
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.