Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Schottenheimer coach the Falcons?

Default Will Schottenheimer coach the Falcons?

While the Chiefs sit around and let all of the unsigned coaches get gobbled up by other teams the Falcons are doing something to try and get better...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...21chnotes.html

Falcons have Schottenheimer, Nix in sights
    By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    December 21, 2007
    In the Atlanta Falcons' attempt to rebuild their football operations, they apparently are considering becoming a sort of Chargers Southeast. League sources said yesterday the Falcons have made overtures to former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer about being their next head coach and are considering hiring Chargers Assistant General Manager Buddy Nix to be their general manager.
    Atlanta lost coach Bobby Petrino to the University of Arkansas last week, and according to a statement from the Falcons, Rich McKay will be replaced as general manager.
    Falcons owner Arthur Blank first talked with Bill Cowher about running the team, but Cowher reportedly told him he was sitting out from coaching at least one more season. Atlanta then made a well-publicized run at Bill Parcells to head its football operations, but Parcells yesterday took the same job with the Dolphins.
    Atlanta's next fallback as coach is evidently Schottenheimer, who was fired by the Chargers in February after a 14-2 season but a second playoff loss in two tries. The hirings of Schottenheimer and Nix would be in concert, sources said.
    Asked about the possibility of his right-hand personnel man leaving, Chargers GM A.J. Smith professed to know nothing about it.
    “I have not heard about Buddy Nix, but I have heard the Coach Schottenheimer rumors,” he said. “If true, I believe a Buddy Nix-Marty Schottenheimer team in Atlanta would be a perfect fit. . . . Buddy got along well with Coach Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time.”
    Nix came to San Diego in 2001 along with Smith and former GM John Butler. Nix was director of player personnel in 2001-02 and ascended to assistant GM when Smith became general manager in 2003 after Butler's death. The three also worked together in Buffalo before coming to the Chargers.
    “I'd hate to lose him,” Smith said. “But it's something he's told me in the past he'd like to do – or explore it. If this situation should work out, I'd wish him the best.”
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

No, but he will be GM
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Where did you hear that?

I thought the assistant GM Nix was mentioned as the new GM?

I don't know if Marty learned to use the pass in SD because of luck, or talent, but he never did here.

It would be an improvement in Atlanta no doubt.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Just a hunch.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Carl will woo him back to the Chiefs and it will be the 90's again! :p

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Oh god no!

I can't take anymore running it up the middle!!!

On second thought... maybe he learned how to utilize talent in SD...

Hmmmm...

Something to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    As Jim Carrey said in "Liar, Liar", after hearing an offer that his client had already passed on.

SETTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Settle, settle, settle!!!!!!!!

I'd be fine with bringing in Marty. Just as long as he brings Cam Cameron with him.

In case some of you may have failed to notice, the Chargers had a pretty potent offense last season.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    As Jim Carrey said in "Liar, Liar", after hearing an offer that his client had already passed on.

SETTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Settle, settle, settle!!!!!!!!

I'd be fine with bringing in Marty. Just as long as he brings Cam Cameron with him.

In case some of you may have failed to notice, the Chargers had a pretty potent offense last season.

I'm down with ANYBODY taking over for Herm at this point.

And yes, gulp, that includes Marty.

Yes he take the job

Quote Originally Posted by for ever red View Post
    Yes he take the job

I can't find any news that he took the job.

Where did you read this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast