Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Show me the money!" Allen said.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Default "Show me the money!" Allen said.

Allen bags sacks title, now wants big contract
    By KENT BABB
    The Kansas City Star

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. | Less than an hour after the Chiefs lost their ninth consecutive game, Jared Allen stood at his stall in the Giants Stadium visitors’ locker room and pumped his fist.

Another goal had been checked off Allen’s list, this time the distinction of NFL sacks champion. His two sacks in Sunday’s 13-10 loss at the New York Jets gave him 15 1/2 sacks this season and sealed his spot atop the sexiest of all defensive statistics.

Now, Allen wants a contract to match. The first step toward achieving that goal is for the Chiefs’ front office and the defensive end’s agent to agree on how much he is worth.

Allen said Sunday he has some idea.

“A hundred million?” he said. “I want to be a billionaire.”

That was a joke. This part was not: Allen said he proved this season his play is on par with the league’s top defenders, such as Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney. Freeney, the 2004 sacks champion and a three-time Pro Bowler, signed a contract in June that included $30 million in guarantees. Freeney is the NFL’s highest-paid defender.

Allen, whose contract this past season was worth $2.35 million, was asked Sunday if he thought he was as valuable as Freeney.

“Oh, definitely,” Allen said.

That does not mean he will be paid like Freeney. Allen said contract discussions this season between his agent and Chiefs management were “silent,” a sign, Allen said, he believes a rich extension is not on the horizon. He said that translates into uncertainty he will return to the Chiefs next season.

“I have no clue, to be honest with you,” he said. “I love Kansas City. I really do. A lot needs to happen. We need to get a lot done.”

Allen, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, said he expects the team to designate him the Chiefs’ franchise player instead of signing him to an extension. Such a designation would allow the Chiefs to retain Allen and pay him the average salary of the league’s top-five defensive ends.

Allen was selected a Pro Bowl starter two weeks ago, which he said was another of his personal goals. He has said those accomplishments have eased the disappointment of losing nine in a row, although Allen said he would trade the impressive notches on his resume for a playoff berth.

But after Sunday, more than two months since the Chiefs’ losing streak began, players will have eight more months before they have their next chance to win. Allen said Sunday’s loss was the latest in a long line of team disappointments, lowered expectations and failure.

“This sucks. I don’t even know how else to describe it,” he said. “This is absolutely horrible. It’s the Jets.

“The frustration just keeps building. It’s at the point sometimes that you just sit back and laugh at it.” __________________
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    Allen bags sacks title, now wants big contract
    By KENT BABB
    The Kansas City Star

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. | Less than an hour after the Chiefs lost their ninth consecutive game, Jared Allen stood at his stall in the Giants Stadium visitors’ locker room and pumped his fist.

Another goal had been checked off Allen’s list, this time the distinction of NFL sacks champion. His two sacks in Sunday’s 13-10 loss at the New York Jets gave him 15 1/2 sacks this season and sealed his spot atop the sexiest of all defensive statistics.

Now, Allen wants a contract to match. The first step toward achieving that goal is for the Chiefs’ front office and the defensive end’s agent to agree on how much he is worth.

Allen said Sunday he has some idea.

“A hundred million?” he said. “I want to be a billionaire.”

That was a joke. This part was not: Allen said he proved this season his play is on par with the league’s top defenders, such as Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney. Freeney, the 2004 sacks champion and a three-time Pro Bowler, signed a contract in June that included $30 million in guarantees. Freeney is the NFL’s highest-paid defender.

Allen, whose contract this past season was worth $2.35 million, was asked Sunday if he thought he was as valuable as Freeney.

“Oh, definitely,” Allen said.

That does not mean he will be paid like Freeney. Allen said contract discussions this season between his agent and Chiefs management were “silent,” a sign, Allen said, he believes a rich extension is not on the horizon. He said that translates into uncertainty he will return to the Chiefs next season.

“I have no clue, to be honest with you,” he said. “I love Kansas City. I really do. A lot needs to happen. We need to get a lot done.”

Allen, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, said he expects the team to designate him the Chiefs’ franchise player instead of signing him to an extension. Such a designation would allow the Chiefs to retain Allen and pay him the average salary of the league’s top-five defensive ends.

Allen was selected a Pro Bowl starter two weeks ago, which he said was another of his personal goals. He has said those accomplishments have eased the disappointment of losing nine in a row, although Allen said he would trade the impressive notches on his resume for a playoff berth.

But after Sunday, more than two months since the Chiefs’ losing streak began, players will have eight more months before they have their next chance to win. Allen said Sunday’s loss was the latest in a long line of team disappointments, lowered expectations and failure.

“This sucks. I don’t even know how else to describe it,” he said. “This is absolutely horrible. It’s the Jets.

“The frustration just keeps building. It’s at the point sometimes that you just sit back and laugh at it.”

If you go and look at the game thread today you will see that I was laughing all day long with Jared!

Thank God, again, our best player agrees with me!

This team is a joke, Jared just won't call out names...

Instead he uses jokes (good job Jared) to prove his point!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

A bigger question through all of this is whether or not Peterson and Edwards have the guts and the money to lock him up for a few more seasons. Franchise player tag can be used I guess, what does that do to Gonzo's contract then? Wasn't he named franchise player a few seasons back?

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    A bigger question through all of this is whether or not Peterson and Edwards have the guts and the money to lock him up for a few more seasons. Franchise player tag can be used I guess, what does that do to Gonzo's contract then? Wasn't he named franchise player a few seasons back?
    TG has signed a contract since then. Look it up the franchise tag on wikipedia it was pretty informational and easy to understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    TG has signed a contract since then. Look it up the franchise tag on wikipedia it was pretty informational and easy to understand.

So you're gonna be an ***, and make people look stuff up for themselves?

Where will this end?

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    So you're gonna be an ***, and make people look stuff up for themselves?

Where will this end?

He would not have understood it if I had tried to paraphrase it, trust me. I was going to, but I wasn't even making sense to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post

It is easy to understand and I would clearly see the Chiefs throwing that tag on him. The question is whether you do it exclusively or non-exclusive. Either way, since Allen was only getting 2.35 million this year, then he will likely only cost the teacn 6.6 million if they use the Franchise tag on him. Which is still less than the 8.6 million Defensive ends are averaging this year.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

we are alittle over $10 mil UNDER the cap. Why wasn`t this money used to sign him. cant carry it over for next year.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    we are alittle over $10 mil UNDER the cap. Why wasn`t this money used to sign him. cant carry it over for next year.
    Maybe Carl gets a percentage of the money that he stays under the salary cap.

You can bank on Allen getting tagged. He knows it and we know it. Question is whether he'll hold out like a baby just like Lance Briggs did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast