Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking bans

Been missin' ya 'round these parts guy!

Did you have a good Christmas and New Years?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Shall we look up some stats??

Tap Water related deaths last year 0
    Soda related deaths 0
    Coffee related deaths 0

Smoking related deaths in Canada 45 000

I read earlier that there is no direct link between smoking and cancer...

Show me where you read that.

I can no longer discuss this topic with you if you truly believe that. My whole point is that you have done nothing but spout off about business owners not being able to have a smoking business and that is a violation of their rights. Its kinda like breathing fresh air and feeling safe. Its NOT your right.

You are right. It no longer is my right to choose how to run my business. That is where I have the problem. This isn't Canada. We are supposed to be able to choose what to do with our own property.

You are upset because someone is forcing you to do something yet you have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about making a non smoker breath second hand smoke

WHEN DID I SUGGEST THAT??????????????? You keep telling me what I think and what I am saying, but I haven't said that, and I don't think that.

so I offer you this advice. Quit smoking or smoke outside. that is your right!

You are absolutely right. I am free to do what other people decide is cool for me to do. So, come on over to the house, and call the police when you smell smoke, because it is the exact same thing. If I can't smoke in my own privately owned business, then where is that different from smoking in my privately owned home?
    You started by saying that you are for banning smoking in restaraunts. Then you said that it is wrong to take that choice from the store owner.

I never sadi that it is my right to smoke in restaraunts. You continue to tell me that I am saying that, but I still haven't said that.

Nowhere have I said that smoking doesn't cause cancer. I said there is no proof that second-hand smoke does.

0 deaths caused by tap water. How many were chalked-up to natural causes? Those are the ones. I thought drowning was real, but obviously that is just some fairy-tail stuff then?

Are you telling me that noone has ever died from stress-related diseases? Or that coffee doesn't cause stress? As-in caffine... Soda...

Noone has heart-attacks? I know for a fact that caffine can help bring on a heart attack. Oh, wait. Canada says that ain't so, so it must be wrong.

How many non-smokers don't die?

Where are the alcohol-related death numbers?

You know as well as anybody that everybody dies. And rather you want to admit it or not, not everybody dies from cigarette smoke.

But, just in case, maybe you should start working on taking away everybodys cars, because we all know what a killer those are.

This isn't Canada. We are supposed to be able to choose what to do with our own property.

What the **** is that supposed to mean. gimme an infraction if you want but that is bull****
    Last edited by chief31; 02-10-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    So many valid points...

First of all, I agree with the concept of a business owner having the right to own and operate his business within certain freedoms. I do have a problem when a city or county tries to enforce a smoking ban, as it hurts the commercial interests in their boundaries. However when a ban is statewide or most likely it will eventually be nationwide, you'll then see all businesses on a level playing field. Right or wrong, my interest as an owner would be in being allowed to compete equally with businesses in my area.

As for the company policy that many companies are adopting wherein no one can smoke inside or outside the building, there is a reason for that and it is quite logical. Healthcare costs. Many health insurance companies will give a discount to the company for creating such "healthy environments" with the thought being that long-term costs will be lowered. There will be a percentage (albeit small) of smokers who will quit based on the inconvenience, or at least lower the quantity of cigarettes that they smoke. Additionally those that continue to smoke, won't have to just walk outside, but rather also walk across the parking lot, thus burning a couple more calories.

Oh and my final point...Canada, when you say no soda related deaths...you may want to rethink that. Check under diabetes related deaths, and realize the amount of sugar in a regular soda. Just to be the devils advocate...(HH...queue picture of Al Pacino)
    You know me too well...

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    This isn't Canada. We are supposed to be able to choose what to do with our own property.

What the **** is that supposed to mean. gimme an infraction if you want but that is bull****

It is supposed to mean that I don't know what Canadian government is all about, but that America was founded on individual freedoms.

If you wanna get bent out of shape about it, then I can't do alot about it, aside from explain it.

I gotta go with Canada on this one. Chief31 keeps bringing up private property and compared it to his own personal home. The key here is your home isn't considered a "public" building and that is what the law is. Meaning bars, restaurants, hardware stores, Joe's plumbing shop or a highrise downtown. The law caters to non smokers because of the fact that people do in fact die from second hand smoke. The statistics are overwhelming! The law started in the state of California when a group of people in the industry started a petition to outlaw smoking saying it wasn't fair for them to have to be exposed to the dangers of second hand smoke.
    Last edited by DrunkHillbilly; 02-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.

:smoke: Welcome to Calif. on the smoking bans. What took U guys sooo long? Get this/ Calif considering a ban on smoking in your own car! Da Ya think smoking might B bad for you? I guess I should quit that stuff-or legalize it.
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by spiman View Post
    :smoke: Welcome to Calif. on the smoking bans. What took U guys sooo long? Get this/ Calif considering a ban on smoking in your own car! Da Ya think smoking might B bad for you? I guess I should quit that stuff-or legalize it.
    That is just asinine, banning smoking in your car.

If that goes through I will be shocked!

They want a law in Canada that you can not smoke in your car if you have children in the car and I totally agree with it!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

They R thinking of the kiddies.. Food 4 thought-Do not smoke in front of the kids, period!
    Last edited by spiman; 02-10-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: CANADA Beat me 2 it! Ouch
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

Post #98 in this thread

I read earlier that there is no direct link between smoking and cancer...

Show me where you read that.

I can no longer discuss this topic with you if you truly believe that

Post #59

However....if someone farts a lot in a restaurant it smells, but it does not cause lung cancer, emphysema and brochitis. You are comparing a bad smell with messing with my health.

No, I am not. First off, there is no real evidence to support the theory of second-hand smoke causing any of that, and, there is no evidence to support that flatulence does/doesn't cause those, or other health problems.

This was quoted inside a quote but it sounded to me like you are arguing that there is no link between second hand smoke and cancer.

I would like to know however as a business owner, should you be allowed to make people work in an unsafe work environment? (ie asbestos, poison gases etc...) Afterall it is YOUR business and you should be allowed to do whatever you want there no matter how it affects other people?

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast