Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents and Draft Prospects

Default Free Agents and Draft Prospects

I wanted to start this thread for players we would like to or should look at this offseason. The Chiefs will be putting an enormous effort toward the offense this season and will be adding big contracts this year. They also have 10 draft picks and desperately need to have a solid draft.

So, submit names and reasons for those names if you like. I'll be putting a few names out there.

Previously posted, but relevant to this thread:

Free Agents:

Max Starks, OT UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Starks is young and massive. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field. The Chiefs could get him on the cheap due to a late season ending knee injury.

Alan Faneca, OG UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Travelle Wharton, OT UFA Carolina Panthers
    A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence last season was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Jared Allen, DE UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
    Allen’s sack total dropped in ’06, but he still posted 7.5 and raised his tackle total a good deal. He’ll be back in Kansas City for the upcoming season, but there’s a good chance that he’ll try the market out come next offseason. He’s just 25 years of age, and has shown that he is among the league’s best at his position. He’ll be a high priority for several teams once the signing period opens.

Asante Samuel, CB UFA, New England Patriots
    Samuel is quickly becoming known as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, having posted a league-best ten interceptions last season. His interception total was impressive, but so was his ability to stick to receivers on a regular basis. In the first six games of the current season, he has three picks, and has kept up his strong play, continuing to shutdown receivers and helping the Patriots to an undefeated record to this point. If Samuel is not signed to an extension, he’ll command big dollars on the market, especially if he keeps the pace up.

descriptions found at http://footballsfuture.com

2008 DRAFT: These are the players the Chiefs could be lookin at in the draft.

1st RD-
    Jake Long, OT Michigan-The best OT in the draft
    Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.-The next best OT in the draft
    Sam Baker, OT USC-3rd best OT in the draft
    Malcom Jenkins, CB Ohio St.-Best CB in the draft
    Glenn Dorsey, DT Miami-Probably the best player in the draft.
    Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas-could be too good to pass on

2nd RD-
    Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
    Limus Sweed, WR Texas
    Mario Manningham, WR Michigan
    Quentin Groves, DE Auburn
    Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

3rd RD-
    Cheevis Jackson, CB LSU
    Chad Henne, QB Michigan
    Drew Radovich, G USC
    Tashard Choice, RB GT
    Eric Young, G Tennessee
    Tracy Porter, CB Indiana

Quinn Gray, 6'3, 254, 28yrs, QB, JAX- is an UFA this season and should be looked at carefully. Every time I've seen this guy play, he's impressed me.

Patrick Crayton, 6'0, 208, 28yrs WR, DALLAS- We still need more help at WR. The Chiefs shouldn't stop at Dwayne Bowe.

Andre` Davis, 6'1, 195, 28yrs WR, HOUSTON- Not only a decent WR, but he would also solve the problem at KOR/PR.

WRs in the draft that could be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds include Limus Sweed (TEXAS), Mario Manningham (MICHIGAN), Davone Bess (HAWAII), Adarius Bowman (OK. St.), Early Doucet (LSU).

Jordan Gross, 6-4, 300, 27, OT UFA, Carolina Panthers
    With Gross’ contract voiding at season’s end, the Panthers will need to increase his salary in order to keep him around. The ownership seems to agree that he deserves a pay raise, and the team appears to want to keep him around as their starting right tackle. A former first-round selection who has played well, Gross will be looking for a considerably larger check come next season.

Ryan Lilja, 6'2, 290, 26, OG UFA, Indianapolis Colts
    A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but there’s a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he gets to protect Peyton Manning, so he could easily stay.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
    Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

I'll wager that they don't spend any money on an impact offensive or defensive player in FA. Herm and Carl have said it time and time again, that they will "rebuild" through the draft. They've also said the "rebuilding process" will take 2-3 years. That just reinforces that statement about using the draft and not FA.

I just don't see the Chiefs spending tons of cap money to bring in top players who are going to be on the tail end of their careers when that 3 years finally roles around. I believe they will get almost all of thier players through the draft and also undrafted players.

The Chiefs have been burned repeatedly by a lot of these so called impact players. Ty Law, Patrick Surtain, Dave Rayner, Kendrell Bell, Donnie Edwards and Eddie Drummond to name a few. Throw in the big contract LJ scored and the Chiefs are definately having buyers remorse.

All speculation of course, but there has been a lot of hints by management that the draft is where they will rebuild. We'll see.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

I don't think Peterson would come out and say he "errored by letting the O-line get old" and then not do everything possible to rectify the problem thru whatever means necessary. I think we'll bring in AT LEAST 2 FA O-linemen. I think they'll also make a run at Briggs although i think it's one season later than they should have.

I think they're also going to try to find a CB in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    I'll wager that they don't spend any money on an impact offensive or defensive player in FA. Herm and Carl have said it time and time again, that they will "rebuild" through the draft. They've also said the "rebuilding process" will take 2-3 years. That just reinforces that statement about using the draft and not FA.

I just don't see the Chiefs spending tons of cap money to bring in top players who are going to be on the tail end of their careers when that 3 years finally roles around. I believe they will get almost all of thier players through the draft and also undrafted players.

The Chiefs have been burned repeatedly by a lot of these so called impact players. Ty Law, Patrick Surtain, Dave Rayner, Kendrell Bell, Donnie Edwards and Eddie Drummond to name a few. Throw in the big contract LJ scored and the Chiefs are definately having buyers remorse.

All speculation of course, but there has been a lot of hints by management that the draft is where they will rebuild. We'll see.
    How were we burned by Donnie Edwards? He was pretty solid for us last season imo. Unlike Law or Surtain.

Even though, Herm says we're gonna rebuild through the draft, it doesn't mean that we won't get any FAs at all. I heard him in an interview on 810 WHB radio show, and he said they would get FAs as well. Just, not guys that are already past their prime.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    How were we burned by Donnie Edwards? He was pretty solid for us last season imo. Unlike Law or Surtain.

Even though, Herm says we're gonna rebuild through the draft, it doesn't mean that we won't get any FAs at all. I heard him in an interview on 810 WHB radio show, and he said they would get FAs as well. Just, not guys that are already past their prime.
    He was solid in the first half of the season. The second half his production went down and he battled injuries. I like Donnie Edwards and felt we should have never let him go in the first place. But his signing goes against everything Carl and Herm keep telling us about needing the team to get younger. He's 34 and was signed to a 3 year $13 million dollar contract.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    He was solid in the first half of the season. The second half his production went down and he battled injuries. I like Donnie Edwards and felt we should have never let him go in the first place. But his signing goes against everything Carl and Herm keep telling us about needing the team to get younger. He's 34 and was signed to a 3 year $13 million dollar contract.
    Briggs will be a nice aquisition, but i think he's already in his prime. I don't think he'll contribute much to the long-term success of this team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast