Thread: The mess in Miami...

Default The mess in Miami...

Wow, Parcells is taking over at all levels...he must have a head coach in mind, because hiring assistants without giving the head coach some say would create some tension...

http://fantasysource.sportingnews.co...08/986386.html

Reports: 'Phins hiring assistants before coach
    Jan. 8, 2008

By Sporting News staff reports

The Miami Dolphins aren't waiting to get a head coach in place before assembling a coaching staff. Several Florida newspapers report that new vice president of football operations Bill Parcells has tapped David Lee, a former Dallas assistant, to be Miami's new quarterbacks coach and is interviewing other candidates for the staff.
    Lee was quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator at Arkansas in 2007 but worked under Parcells with the Cowboys from 2003-06. Lee also played for Vanderbilt when Parcells was defensive coordinator there. The Dolphins have interviewed Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano, but no team can hire him until Dallas is eliminated from the playoffs. Sparano also has interviewed with the Falcons and Ravens about their open head coaching jobs. The Dolphins also continue to interview other head coach candidates. Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was in Florida on Monday to begin interviewing for the head coaching job. Next up for an interview is Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Who will win more games next year?

Chiefs
    Raiders
    Dolphins

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Who will win more games next year?

Chiefs
    Raiders
    Dolphins
    Hmmm, a part of me wants to wait until after the draft and free agency to answer that question...but that would be weak...

At this point the Chiefs have the best talent of the three, and the most upside with players returning from injury. Also with Kendrell Bell and a few other contracts expiring, they should have some cap room to work with. However they have the worst management, IMO.

I'll still go with the Chiefs, but that is assuming they address the O-line. I'll guess 7-8 wins

Otherwise I'll take the Dolphins and Parcells for 6 wins...I figure on the Raiders for 5 wins next year.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Hmmm, a part of me wants to wait until after the draft and free agency to answer that question...but that would be weak...

At this point the Chiefs have the best talent of the three, and the most upside with players returning from injury. Also with Kendrell Bell and a few other contracts expiring, they should have some cap room to work with. However they have the worst management, IMO.

I'll still go with the Chiefs, but that is assuming they address the O-line. I'll guess 7-8 wins

Otherwise I'll take the Dolphins and Parcells for 6 wins...I figure on the Raiders for 5 wins next year.
    Agreed. I however think they will ALL be under .500 unfortunatley for us.

I think if the Chiefs use their draft picks and cap room wisely (I know a stretch with Carl and Herm running the show)...they are the type of team that could recover quickly. They have some solid veterans on both offense and defense, a couple rookies and young players showed signs this year (Bowe, Kolby Smith, Derrick Johnson and Page all had moments).

I've probably beat this into the ground, but it keeps coming up...so for consistency

1st Round---Target J Long...(2-3 other tackles would be suitable as top 10 picks, trade down if JLong isn't available)

2nd Round---Target top Offensive Guard or Center on the board (sign a top free agent at the other position)

(if a second pick in this round, target a DT...if not look for one in Free Agency)

3rd round---Top WR on the board, or the FB out of Big East (can't remember which school) but he's a blocking/receiving machine and is projected as 3rd round because of footspeed...you need a lead blocker, not a fast guy

4th round---WR or physical corner

5th round---OLine project (grab a raw player for 2-3 years out, when Waters could retire)

6th-7th round...who knows what's there, but DON'T waste a pick on a kicker...possibly a TE prospect or big WR who didn't score well on the 40 at the combine...(possession type)

This would give them 3-4 rookie linemen (2 of which who should be able to help next year. You need 3 so at least 1 Free agent must be signed. You also should have a good possession receiver to work underneath as Bowe spreads the field, and a good blocking Fullback who can catch the ball (sounds like the guy who they let go to Minnesota, right?)

That would fix the offensive woes....now for defense I suggested a DTackle. If you have cap room or used a draft pick for a CB then you can keep your current defensive scheme....if not you have to go to a 3-4 style defense which allows the scheme to cover for the lack of speed in the KC secondary and buys you another year to fix that weakness.

If all this happens, KC could win 9-10 games. But again, that's if all the dominoes fall this offseason. I'm guessing it takes the imbeciles upstairs at Arrowhead at least 2 years to figure all this out.

Oh and in case I haven't mentioned it enough, resigning Allen is the only option. You can't let him get away.

Back to the OP... Parcells will be running the show in Miami.

That is the biggest reason I didn't want him coming to KC.

I agree that he is awesome at finding talent, but I don't like the way he runs teams.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

For that matter, Martz will not be coming to KC either. San Fran just hired him as the OC.

Hillbilly...I'm not sure I'm thrilled about Martz for the 49ers. Sure he puts up points, but his offensive system is built for a team with a good QB, versatile running back and fast wideouts. The 49ers have the versatile running back, but our QB sucks, and our wideouts are pretty slow. The best threat the 49ers have in the passing game is the TE Vernon Davis. Martz has never shown any inclination to include the TE in his offense.