Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Back off Herm Haters!

Default Back off Herm Haters!

So this has been bugging me for awhile. And I'm sure I am going to speared for this thread. But here goes.

If you had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, why in the heck would you try to run a passing offense? Especially with a rookie QB? It just doesn't make sense.

One of the major reasons that Herm was trying to run the ball this year, especially early on, was because our best every down threat was Larry Johnson. If you put a rookie QB in a pass happy offense behind a line that can't pass block, what good can possibly come of it?

Besides the fact, that he is trying to help give the defense some confidence. Our defense would have finished last in the league if Herm would have tried to pass as often as most people on these boards would have liked. The defense would have been on the field constantly.

Oh by the way.....It isn't like we have a boatload of prolific receivers to throw the ball to. A rookie WR is our best WR threat. When your best passing threat is a TE, you better be able to run the ball.

I'm not Herm Edwards' #1 fan for other reasons. But, I think he is taking far too much negative criticism because of the situation he was put in. The O-line has been neglected for years while the Dick Vermiel era tried to make a run at a championship.

All I'm saying is that if I were a head coach that inherited a team that had a poor offensive line, a rookie QB, poor WR's, a struggling defense, and my best offensive threat was a LJ.......Well then, I'd be running the damn ball too.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

hermanator the offensive terminator dosnt even have a winning record,but wait he "has a plan". wonder if it is the same plan that got him run out of new york.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Can you tell me what team picked up these budding o-line stars that you speak of? Only Sampson plays in the NFL anymore and he never saw the field. I think he may be a practive squad guy. If you can't make the depth chart on the KC O-line, you probably aren't that good to begin with.

Herm did ignore the o-line in the draft. And I think he would admit that he should have given it more attention. They(Herm and Carl) overestimated the talent they had at that position. But remember, the offense was still scoring points up until this year. It was the defense that was the laughing stock of the league. He addressed the defensive concerns and I think the defense will continue to improve. I think in this year's draft you will see the o-line addressed along with some help at CB.
    I agreed with the draft of a WR in the 1st rd last year. And I still do. I think we got the 2nd best WR in the draft and we sorely needed a good WR. It needed to be done. And in my opinion, they need to get another WR threat because Bowe is the only one that is worth a damn.

Herm deserves some criticism. He did coach a 4-12 team. He did make some bad decisions. And I'm probably most disappointed about how Herm let the defense just give up towards the end of the year. I also hate all of the bonehead comments that Herm makes to the media. His comments and demeanor make him look unintelligent. I just think people are jumping on the "I hate Herm" bandwagon too quickly and for the wrong reasons.

Every post in this thread is about O-line and playcalling. Herm puts together the offensive playbook and scheme. But Solari called the plays down to the QB on 1st down. Herm inherited an old O-line that needed to be rebuilt. He inherited a QB that was on borrowed time. Give this team a chance to rebuild. Rome wasn't built in 1 year and the Chiefs couldn't have possibly rebuilt the entire o-line, QB, and defense in one off-season.
    His track-record for neglecting offensive line is seven years long. How many QBs did he go through with the Jets, never to realize that a QB needs protection? That is what starts him on my bad side. Then he comes here and neglects the situation in two drafts.

As far as where those other O-line players are, there are plenty of unemployed O-linemen who would be better than what Herm decided to go with for the season. Those that he cut are only a few.

Then, for Rome not being built in one year... A.) this isn't Rome we are building, it's a whole lot smaller. B.) he has already had two seasons. C.) Aside from a young promising, not great yet, WR and a backup RB, I have not been impressed with his draft picks.

Hali...nothing. Pollard....Meh. Page...I don't think so. Tyler...Not yet. McBride....Squat. I want these guys to be great, but so far there is nothing there. Add in a Medlock and "OUCH" comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Hali...nothing. Pollard....Meh.
    c'mon....at least these two deserve a bit more than a 'nothing' and a 'meh'....at least I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    His track-record for neglecting offensive line is seven years long. How many QBs did he go through with the Jets, never to realize that a QB needs protection? That is what starts him on my bad side. Then he comes here and neglects the situation in two drafts.

As far as where those other O-line players are, there are plenty of unemployed O-linemen who would be better than what Herm decided to go with for the season. Those that he cut are only a few.

Then, for Rome not being built in one year... A.) this isn't Rome we are building, it's a whole lot smaller. B.) he has already had two seasons. C.) Aside from a young promising, not great yet, WR and a backup RB, I have not been impressed with his draft picks.

Hali...nothing. Pollard....Meh. Page...I don't think so. Tyler...Not yet. McBride....Squat. I want these guys to be great, but so far there is nothing there. Add in a Medlock and "OUCH" comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    c'mon....at least these two deserve a bit more than a 'nothing' and a 'meh'....at least I think so.
    I'd say Hali...average, and Pollard...ugh
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    Do you have any proof of that? Or is it just your opinion? I know Roaf was quoted in the Star as saying Shields talked him into coming back for one more year and that's what he did, played one more year.
    I don't remember which Espn segment it was but they were all saying that it's highly unusual, especialy linemen, to notify the press first and that's what Roaf did, and thought that Will Shields did it to. This is fact, google it, In may he said he felt fine and wanted to be part of a subrerbowl push with the Chiefs, in July he retires....maybe Carl kept a secret from us but to the fans he retired before the coaches announced it.

Actually, how I remember it was, Shields was thinking about retiring for the 06 season, but Roaf told him not to, so Shields decided he wouldn't for one more year, but in the end Roaf retired before the 06 season started. Shields decided to stay for the 06 season, then retired. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Actually, how I remember it was, Shields was thinking about retiring for the 06 season, but Roaf told him not to, so Shields decided he wouldn't for one more year, but in the end Roaf retired before the 06 season started. Shields decided to stay for the 06 season, then retired. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    That's true, too, but the year before that, Shields talked Roaf into playing one more year. It shouldn't have come to anybody's surprise when they retired. Also, I don't think it was so much to do with Herm, but they knew it would take a while for a new coaching philosophy to take hold and they knew they were going to be too old before it was actualized.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    That's true, too, but the year before that, Shields talked Roaf into playing one more year. It shouldn't have come to anybody's surprise when they retired. Also, I don't think it was so much to do with Herm, but they knew it would take a while for a new coaching philosophy to take hold and they knew they were going to be too old before it was actualized.
    Yeah, it really had nothing to do with Herm, they were getting old, and that's that. I just hope Herm has learned from his past mistakes and gets some O-linemen.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

If you don't think they left because of Herm, why didn't they tell him?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    If you don't think they left because of Herm, why didn't they tell him?
    Back off HermHater!!!
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast