Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Back off Herm Haters!

Default Back off Herm Haters!

So this has been bugging me for awhile. And I'm sure I am going to speared for this thread. But here goes.

If you had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, why in the heck would you try to run a passing offense? Especially with a rookie QB? It just doesn't make sense.

One of the major reasons that Herm was trying to run the ball this year, especially early on, was because our best every down threat was Larry Johnson. If you put a rookie QB in a pass happy offense behind a line that can't pass block, what good can possibly come of it?

Besides the fact, that he is trying to help give the defense some confidence. Our defense would have finished last in the league if Herm would have tried to pass as often as most people on these boards would have liked. The defense would have been on the field constantly.

Oh by the way.....It isn't like we have a boatload of prolific receivers to throw the ball to. A rookie WR is our best WR threat. When your best passing threat is a TE, you better be able to run the ball.

I'm not Herm Edwards' #1 fan for other reasons. But, I think he is taking far too much negative criticism because of the situation he was put in. The O-line has been neglected for years while the Dick Vermiel era tried to make a run at a championship.

All I'm saying is that if I were a head coach that inherited a team that had a poor offensive line, a rookie QB, poor WR's, a struggling defense, and my best offensive threat was a LJ.......Well then, I'd be running the damn ball too.

Okay the numbers are in...the Chiefs had 14 2nd and 1 situations this last season.

They ran the ball 10 of these plays for a whopping 15 yards. The longest play running was 5 yards by LJ in week 1, and 4 of the 10 plays resulted in a 3rd down (to no gains, and 2 loss of yardage runs)

However they did pass the ball 4 times, going 3-4 for 58 yards and a TD, by the way none of the runs were for a TD, not even the 2nd and 1 from the 1...(LJ tackled for a loss, followed by a 3rd down TD pass to TG)

The point being passing on 2nd and 1 is very succesful, that is why many teams do it. The defense has to respect the run, which gives the QB a better chance to complete the pass and possibly gain big yardage.

Even if the Chiefs had stuck with their normal ratio, they passed the ball 335 times to 383 rushes...that's 46.6% of the time on normal plays, yet in this situation where the success rate of completion is higher they only passed 28.5% of the time. Balance and keeping your opponent off balance are major keys in the NFL, and whoever was calling the plays and making the decisions for both your team and mine (49ers) last year doesn't seem to understand that concept.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Okay the numbers are in...the Chiefs had 14 2nd and 1 situations this last season.

They ran the ball 10 of these plays for a whopping 15 yards. The longest play running was 5 yards by LJ in week 1, and 4 of the 10 plays resulted in a 3rd down (to no gains, and 2 loss of yardage runs)

However they did pass the ball 4 times, going 3-4 for 58 yards and a TD, by the way none of the runs were for a TD, not even the 2nd and 1 from the 1...(LJ tackled for a loss, followed by a 3rd down TD pass to TG)

The point being passing on 2nd and 1 is very succesful, that is why many teams do it. The defense has to respect the run, which gives the QB a better chance to complete the pass and possibly gain big yardage.

Even if the Chiefs had stuck with their normal ratio, they passed the ball 335 times to 383 rushes...that's 46.6% of the time on normal plays, yet in this situation where the success rate of completion is higher they only passed 28.5% of the time. Balance and keeping your opponent off balance are major keys in the NFL, and whoever was calling the plays and making the decisions for both your team and mine (49ers) last year doesn't seem to understand that concept.
    why don't you put a little thought and research into your posts. You are starting to sound like chiefster!! Hopefully Chan can explain that to Herm!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post

Wow those stats are even worse than I expected.

Gailey surely can't do worse than that, so I am guardedly optimistic about our new OC.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678