Thread: To agree or disagree...

Default To agree or disagree...

Why couldnt Chiefs take risk with young, hungry coordinator?

By JASON WHITLOCK

Chan Gailey has been offensive coordinator for the Broncos, Steelers and Dolphins and head coach of the Cowboys and Georgia Tech.

Well, at least we didn’t expect an inspired hire. Under King Carl’s rulership, we’ve grown accustomed to stale, predictable, safe and retread hires.

Chan Gailey, the Chiefs’ new offensive coordinator, will fit in at Arrowhead Stadium. Give him an office next to Gunther, not far from Bill Kuharich, a short walk from Lynn Stiles and within earshot of the King.

When the housecleaning comes, Gailey will be just another 50-something football millionaire with a spotty resume who padded his 401(k) at the expense of the Hunts.

Man, I’m trying my damndest to support Herm Edwards. He’s a good man with a forceful personality, a natural-born leader of men. But he’s just not a risk-taker, and the Chiefs won’t get fixed until someone in charge dares to think outside the box and backs the logic with action.

Chan Gailey? He squeezes comfortably inside any box. He’s coordinated solid offenses at Pittsburgh and Miami, led decent teams in Dallas and at Georgia Tech, and never in more than 30 years of coaching been labeled an innovator.

Herm Edwards on Wednesday said in the press release announcing Gailey that “the best compliment (he) could pay Chan Gailey is that he’s tough.”

That’s mighty high praise for a pit bull raised by Michael Vick or a defensive tackle drafted by King Carl. But for an offensive coordinator competing in the same conference as the New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers, well, it’s the equivalent of calling a 12-ounce filet tough.

Hell, maybe Herm orders his steaks well-done. I don’t know. I hope it works out. I’m rooting for Herm.
    But today I’m wondering when the Chiefs are going to try something different. When are they going to try to discover their Jason Garrett, the Dallas Boy Wonder being wooed by Baltimore and Atlanta?

The Chiefs love to shop on used car lots, don’t they? And they prefer late-model cars with low playoff miles.
    Look, it can get done with old, retread coaches. Norv Turner has the Chargers deep into the playoffs. But the Chiefs — obviously in my mind — are in need of an injection of youthful, hungry energy, guys who have yet to taste a seven-figure salary.

As best I can remember, the last time the Chiefs had a young coach of any consequence is when my favorite whipping boy Mike McCarthy was quarterbacks coach in the late 1990s. (Yeah, I was dead wrong about the former Baker University tight end turned head coach of the Green Bay Packers. McCarthy was regrettable collateral damage in my holy and justifiable war against Paul “Can’t” Hackett.)

McCarthy went on to become a successful offensive coordinator at New Orleans before landing the Packers job.

Why can’t the Chiefs unearth some more young coaching talent? Beats me. Other teams are doing it.

There’s a kid, Josh McDaniels, calling plays for the Patriots. I’ve already mentioned Garrett. He’s on the same track that made Sean Payton a young head coach in New Orleans. The Raiders discovered Jon Gruden and nearly won a Super Bowl. Years ago, the Rams forced Dick Vermeil to hire Washington’s quarterbacks coach, Mike Martz, as offensive coordinator. That worked out quite well. Some NFL experts are high on Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, the son of Ernie.

Young coaches or coaches given their first chance to coordinate have chips on their shoulders, incredible work ethics and an unquenchable desire to move up. They’re risk-takers by nature.

Ever since the Chiefs’ despicable offensive performance against Indianapolis in the 2007 playoffs, Carl Peterson should’ve been preparing for the possible firing of Mike Solari, who, although a first-time coordinator, was a status-quo hire when Herm arrived.

By the end of the 2007 season, Peterson should’ve had three or four exciting, young candidates for Edwards to consider. Peterson came up with 58-year-old Jim Fossil, oops, Jim Fassel, the man who couldn’t repair the Ravens’ offense, the man Peterson contemplated hiring instead of Edwards.

The best thing about Chan Gailey’s hiring is that he has something in common with Chiefs fans. As a former assistant to Bill Cowher, Gailey probably agrees Cowher is the perfect person to lead Arrowhead’s 2009 housecleaning.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/448076.html
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Is the world ending?? Why do I find myself agreeing with Whitlock more often than not lately?

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Is the world ending?? Why do I find myself agreeing with Whitlock more often than not lately?
    Oh I know, I know!!!

Herm Edwards has turned the team upside down!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I know it's a big if, but I hope he's right when it comes to Cowher being here in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Why couldnt Chiefs take risk with young, hungry coordinator?

By JASON WHITLOCK

Chan Gailey has been offensive coordinator for the Broncos, Steelers and Dolphins and head coach of the Cowboys and Georgia Tech.

Well, at least we didn’t expect an inspired hire. Under King Carl’s rulership, we’ve grown accustomed to stale, predictable, safe and retread hires.

Chan Gailey, the Chiefs’ new offensive coordinator, will fit in at Arrowhead Stadium. Give him an office next to Gunther, not far from Bill Kuharich, a short walk from Lynn Stiles and within earshot of the King.

When the housecleaning comes, Gailey will be just another 50-something football millionaire with a spotty resume who padded his 401(k) at the expense of the Hunts.

Man, I’m trying my damndest to support Herm Edwards. He’s a good man with a forceful personality, a natural-born leader of men. But he’s just not a risk-taker, and the Chiefs won’t get fixed until someone in charge dares to think outside the box and backs the logic with action.

Chan Gailey? He squeezes comfortably inside any box. He’s coordinated solid offenses at Pittsburgh and Miami, led decent teams in Dallas and at Georgia Tech, and never in more than 30 years of coaching been labeled an innovator.

Herm Edwards on Wednesday said in the press release announcing Gailey that “the best compliment (he) could pay Chan Gailey is that he’s tough.”

That’s mighty high praise for a pit bull raised by Michael Vick or a defensive tackle drafted by King Carl. But for an offensive coordinator competing in the same conference as the New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers, well, it’s the equivalent of calling a 12-ounce filet tough.

Hell, maybe Herm orders his steaks well-done. I don’t know. I hope it works out. I’m rooting for Herm.
    But today I’m wondering when the Chiefs are going to try something different. When are they going to try to discover their Jason Garrett, the Dallas Boy Wonder being wooed by Baltimore and Atlanta?

The Chiefs love to shop on used car lots, don’t they? And they prefer late-model cars with low playoff miles.
    Look, it can get done with old, retread coaches. Norv Turner has the Chargers deep into the playoffs. But the Chiefs — obviously in my mind — are in need of an injection of youthful, hungry energy, guys who have yet to taste a seven-figure salary.

As best I can remember, the last time the Chiefs had a young coach of any consequence is when my favorite whipping boy Mike McCarthy was quarterbacks coach in the late 1990s. (Yeah, I was dead wrong about the former Baker University tight end turned head coach of the Green Bay Packers. McCarthy was regrettable collateral damage in my holy and justifiable war against Paul “Can’t” Hackett.)

McCarthy went on to become a successful offensive coordinator at New Orleans before landing the Packers job.

Why can’t the Chiefs unearth some more young coaching talent? Beats me. Other teams are doing it.

There’s a kid, Josh McDaniels, calling plays for the Patriots. I’ve already mentioned Garrett. He’s on the same track that made Sean Payton a young head coach in New Orleans. The Raiders discovered Jon Gruden and nearly won a Super Bowl. Years ago, the Rams forced Dick Vermeil to hire Washington’s quarterbacks coach, Mike Martz, as offensive coordinator. That worked out quite well. Some NFL experts are high on Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, the son of Ernie.

Young coaches or coaches given their first chance to coordinate have chips on their shoulders, incredible work ethics and an unquenchable desire to move up. They’re risk-takers by nature.

Ever since the Chiefs’ despicable offensive performance against Indianapolis in the 2007 playoffs, Carl Peterson should’ve been preparing for the possible firing of Mike Solari, who, although a first-time coordinator, was a status-quo hire when Herm arrived.

By the end of the 2007 season, Peterson should’ve had three or four exciting, young candidates for Edwards to consider. Peterson came up with 58-year-old Jim Fossil, oops, Jim Fassel, the man who couldn’t repair the Ravens’ offense, the man Peterson contemplated hiring instead of Edwards.

The best thing about Chan Gailey’s hiring is that he has something in common with Chiefs fans. As a former assistant to Bill Cowher, Gailey probably agrees Cowher is the perfect person to lead Arrowhead’s 2009 housecleaning.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/448076.html
    learned himself how to think...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat