Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Back off Herm Haters!

Default Back off Herm Haters!

So this has been bugging me for awhile. And I'm sure I am going to speared for this thread. But here goes.

If you had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, why in the heck would you try to run a passing offense? Especially with a rookie QB? It just doesn't make sense.

One of the major reasons that Herm was trying to run the ball this year, especially early on, was because our best every down threat was Larry Johnson. If you put a rookie QB in a pass happy offense behind a line that can't pass block, what good can possibly come of it?

Besides the fact, that he is trying to help give the defense some confidence. Our defense would have finished last in the league if Herm would have tried to pass as often as most people on these boards would have liked. The defense would have been on the field constantly.

Oh by the way.....It isn't like we have a boatload of prolific receivers to throw the ball to. A rookie WR is our best WR threat. When your best passing threat is a TE, you better be able to run the ball.

I'm not Herm Edwards' #1 fan for other reasons. But, I think he is taking far too much negative criticism because of the situation he was put in. The O-line has been neglected for years while the Dick Vermiel era tried to make a run at a championship.

All I'm saying is that if I were a head coach that inherited a team that had a poor offensive line, a rookie QB, poor WR's, a struggling defense, and my best offensive threat was a LJ.......Well then, I'd be running the damn ball too.

This just in Herm Still sucks, he ruined the Jets and is now working on the Chiefs. You want proof here you go:

Regular Season 52-60-0
    Postseason 2-4
    Career Record 54-64-0
    Wait until next year

Quote Originally Posted by cf2112 View Post
    This just in Herm Still sucks, he ruined the Jets and is now working on the Chiefs. You want proof here you go:

Regular Season 52-60-0
    Postseason 2-4
    Career Record 54-64-0
    I like your style!

Fire Herm!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I like your style!

Fire Herm!

I forgot to mention Carl swallows
    Wait until next year

Quote Originally Posted by cf2112 View Post
    I forgot to mention Carl swallows

Yep!

Wish he would swallow his pride and do the right thing for the team. Get the hell out of KC!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I agree that passing on 2nd and 1 is a good idea. At least occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I tried to stay away from this thread but this post just flat out pissed me off. I've heard this before not just from fans on this site, but in general football talk as well. On ANY down and 1 yard to go, if getting a first down is the primary objective, YOU RUN THE BALL!!!

I don't care how awful the offensive line is, they ARE athletes that weigh 300+ lbs. and are getting paid millions of dollars!!! Put those athletes in front of ANY NFL running back and those players should be able to get AT LEAST one yard. These players have the advantage of knowing the snap count, thus being able to get the jump on the defense.

We're only talking about 36 inches here. With running backs like Larry Johnson, Kolby Smith and Priest Holmes, you'd be an idiot NOT to call a running play.

ONE FREAKIN YARD!!!!!! When you only need ONE YARD, it's not the play calling, it's the players at that point.

I do agree there should be more diversity in the play calling, but when you need just one yard, you run the ball.
    Most good offenses find 2nd and short to be a "free" play that opens up the entire playbook. Calling a playaction pass is perfect in this situation. The defense suspects and has to defend the run, as 1 yard is a first down, but if you have an incomplete pass you have a very convertible 3rd and 1 to follow. Heck I'm not saying that video games are the answer, but if you've ever played Madden (any year), the consistent and rather annoying quote from Madden's commentary when you are in 2nd and short is, "Coaches love this situation, when you have 2nd and short it opens up the entire playbook...the other team doesn't know if you're going to run or pass. And if it doesn't work out, its not a big deal. You just huddle back up and go for the 1 yard next down."

Madden is far from a genius, but he is light years beyond Herm Edwards on this one...but since Herm doesn't have the Internet, he probably hasn't heard of video games either...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

How many times did we actually have a 2nd and 1 this past season?

I'll get back to you on that shortly HH...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I agree that passing on 2nd and 1 is a good idea. At least occasionally.
    ...So is passing occasionally on first down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...So is passing occasionally on first down.
    Agreed!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast