Page 189 of 258 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2571

Thread: The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Default The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Clinton, McCain emerge as comeback winners in New Hampshire primary

WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Clinton pulled off an unexpected narrow victory in New Hampshire on Tuesday, dramatically rescuing her bid for the White House in a tense battle with Barack Obama.
    Clinton, who's fighting to become the first woman in the Oval Office, mounted a surprisingly strong showing after bracing for a second defeat following her devastating third-place showing in Iowa.
    Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y. greets a familiar face. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/Elise Amendola
    Republican John McCain also nabbed a major comeback victory, putting him solidly back in his party's nomination race.
    While Obama, vying to make history as the first black U.S. president, scored big among independents and voters between 18 and 24, Clinton attracted lower-income voters and seniors and did best among voters citing the economy as their top concern.
    But a big factor for Clinton was women voters, who had gone over to Obama in large numbers in Iowa. Nearly half in New Hampshire were once again supporting her, while Obama got only a third.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/080108/w0108115A.html

Crap.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

How many people actually spend the whole year without health insurance? It's difficult to say, and recent data is hard to come by. But in 2003, the Congressional Budget Office took a stab at answering the question, and looked at two studies from 1998 that conducted interviews multiple times over the course of the survey period. One study pegged the number of people who were uninsured for the entire year at 31 million, while another put it even lower, at 21 million. In either case, the number was significantly lower than it was in 1998's Current Population Survey, which found 43.9 million uninsured.

Another problem with citing the 46-million figure is that many of those who are identified as uninsured are actually eligible for existing government programs but simply never bothered to enroll. In 2003, a BlueCross BlueShield Association study estimated that about 14 million of the uninsured were eligible for Medicaid and SCHIP. These people would be signed up for government insurance if they ever made it to the emergency room.

In addition, some of the 46 million could theoretically afford health coverage, but chose not to purchase any. In 2007, 17.6 million of the uninsured had annual incomes of more than $50,000 and 9.1 million earned more than $75,000. In fact, as Sally Pipes notes in the Top Ten Myths of American Health Care: A Citizen's Guide, those making more than $75,000 per year are part of the fastest growing segment of the uninsured population.

The Census figures also show that 18.3 million of the uninsured were under 34. Some in this age group may have simply determined that they are young and healthy and thus can do without coverage.

When all of these factors are put together, the 2003 BlueCross BlueShield study determined that 8.2 million Americans are actually without coverage for the long haul, because they are too poor to purchase health care but earn too much to qualify for government assistance. Even being without insurance still doesn't mean they won't have access to care, because federal law forbids hospitals from denying treatment to patients who show up at the emergency rooms.

This exercise isn't about downplaying the problems facing the American health care system, but a necessary part of devising the proper remedies. Under current state laws, mandates force insurers to provide certain benefits, meaning that young and healthy Americans must choose between paying exorbitant premiums to cover treatments that they don't need or going without health insurance. Many of these so-called "young invincibles" who are included in the ranks of the uninsured could be wooed into the market were they allowed to purchase catastrophic insurance with lower monthly premiums.

Right now, the tax code exempts people from paying taxes on health care benefits purchased through their employer, while denying the same tax advantages to individuals. Ending this discrimination would make health care more affordable to those who are self-employed or not covered through their workplace. In addition, this would allow Americans to have health care policies that are portable, so it would reduce the gaps in coverage people can face when they quit or lose a job.

Those pushing for a major government intervention in health care are distorting the 46-million statistic to boost their cause, and by disseminating it so widely without further elaboration, the media is rigging the game in their favor.

- Phillip Klein

The Government on its own has enough money stacked behind it (where the hell has all the F****** TARP Money/Stimulus bill gone?) to warrant the coverage of the 8-10 million chronically uninsured without passing through some ill conceived bill that will cripple a US economy who has by no means an ability to pay for such a massive overhaul of a system that doesn't need to be touched.

Tell me this...name one Government run program that's actually worked and thrived or at least shown decent progress in the past 10 even 20 years?
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 10-22-2009 at 02:09 AM.

One thing that seems to evade the democrats in this country is one simple concept.

When you increase the cost to a company to produce goods, then the cost of those goods increase.

That has always been the case and it will not change now because Obama says it will. No, the only thing left is for Government to come in and regulate the industry to keep costs down, this leads to shortages in supply.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    One thing that seems to evade the democrats in this country is one simple concept.

When you increase the cost to a company to produce goods, then the cost of those goods increase.

That has always been the case and it will not change now because Obama says it will. No, the only thing left is for Government to come in and regulate the industry to keep costs down, this leads to shortages in supply.
    Well the Government/Obama did make ~1 Trillion dollars disappear when the Stimulus bill was passed in the name of 'stemming the tide of the economic depression and create over 300 million new jobs' we all see how that went.

Saying that you're going to create an entirely new Health Care system that is bigger, better, and covers everyone and not add a single cent to the national deficit is just plain arrogant and a downright lie to the faces of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Well the Government/Obama did make ~1 Trillion dollars disappear when the Stimulus bill was passed in the name of 'stemming the tide of the economic depression and create over 300 million new jobs' we all see how that went.

Saying that you're going to create an entirely new Health Care system that is bigger, better, and covers everyone and not add a single cent to the national deficit is just plain arrogant and a downright lie to the faces of the public.
    Politics as usual. All politicians will say anything they feel the populous wants to hear in order to get elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Why should my tax dollars pay health insurance for some fat slob stuffing tacos and cigarettes down his throat all day long? Health insurance is not a right. Should the government provide your homeowners insurance also? How 'bout life insurance? Auto insurance? Heres a thought. Lets just do away with currency and credit. Just walk into your favorite store, grab what you need, and take it home - free!
    I'm not sayin' the health insurance industry isn't screwed up - it is and needs overhauled. But a gov't takeover? Buy the insurance your lifestyle deems necessary. Its called personal responsibility. Its truely unfortunate so many people need the gov't to take care of them...
    As far as I'm concerned, health insurance shouldn't be needed. Just a luxury for those that can afford the better healthcare.

I am not suggesting free health insurance. I am suggesting free healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    What about a kid whose parents work for min wage and cant afford insurance. That kid dosent deserve help?
    Not on Bike's dollar. But I will gladly pay the higher tax to ensure that that kid gets the healthcare he needs, and yes HAS A RIGHT TO!

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    almost forgot. we do have free heathcare here in the states. in Oregon and either Vermont or Mass.

its all about $$$$ its cheaper to kill you than save you. this is what we are facing if its passed.
    Riiiiiiiight, because, currently, if you don't have health insurance in the other states, this kind of thing doesn't happen.

maybe its there for your cause your a paramedic. some problems??? waiting for days or weeks to get help??? and just how is it misused by the people - isn't for them ??? their coming down here in droves to get faster and better treatment.

Waiting for days or weeks? How about waiting until it's too late, because you faer the bill?

Jesus H Christ WTF is an ER for??? ever hear of H1N1???
    selfish??? my tax $$$ have to pay for this to. we all pay for it. just like the failed stim pack. which our childrens children will be paying for.

the people that have insur will be unaffected by these new laws. You will still be able to keep your insur.
    after all his broken promise's you believe this ????
    A.) I gladly volunteer you, me, as well as my grandchildren, and even your grandchildren, to pay the tax increases involved, if we were to get a real government healthcare plan in place.

B.) Oh, you don't believe that particular part, but you believe all the negative parts that you heard?

I think that the current bill on the table is garbage. It isn't even a step in the right direction.

I think that the Dems are too right-wing to even consider a real healthcare system, like Canada has.

As much as conservatives hate the left, they should be absolutely thrilled with them for this lame excuse for healthcare reform, as it still doesn't solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Well the Government/Obama did make ~1 Trillion dollars disappear when the Stimulus bill was passed in the name of 'stemming the tide of the economic depression and create over 3 million new jobs' we all see how that went.

Edited for mistype.

the democraps tried to force this deathcare bill thru without even reading it and no discussion !!!! obviously their hiding something(s) from us. Reid and Pelosi want a nuke it thru so the Gop can't read it. so much for transparency in gov.
    here's the bill. all 1700 pages of it. you may need a lawyer for interpretation. in PDF HR3200

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=f:h3200ih.pdf

clear as mud !!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVyTGo2WP2g"]YouTube - Congressman Kevin Brady Explains the Obama Health Care Bill - part 1[/ame]
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, health insurance shouldn't be needed. Just a luxury for those that can afford the better healthcare.

I am not suggesting free health insurance. I am suggesting free healthcare.

Not on Bike's dollar. But I will gladly pay the higher tax to ensure that that kid gets the healthcare he needs, and yes HAS A RIGHT TO!
    At one point I was working 3 jobs and my wife worked full time so that we could take care of our family. Its called working your a$$ off to support your family. Its sad that we have become so lazy in this country that we need the gov't to take care of us.
    You reap what you sow.
    SHUT IT

I recently asked a friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?'
    She replied, 'I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people.'

Her parents beamed.
    'Wow...what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.'
    She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, 'Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'
    I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'
    Her parents still aren't speaking to me.
    SHUT IT

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-C_FZ8wj4g"]YouTube - Democrats Stuck on an Escalator[/ame]
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]