Page 218 of 244 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2438

Thread: The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd


    0 Not allowed!
    Clinton, McCain emerge as comeback winners in New Hampshire primary



    WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Clinton pulled off an unexpected narrow victory in New Hampshire on Tuesday, dramatically rescuing her bid for the White House in a tense battle with Barack Obama.
    Clinton, who's fighting to become the first woman in the Oval Office, mounted a surprisingly strong showing after bracing for a second defeat following her devastating third-place showing in Iowa.
    Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y. greets a familiar face. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/Elise Amendola
    Republican John McCain also nabbed a major comeback victory, putting him solidly back in his party's nomination race.
    While Obama, vying to make history as the first black U.S. president, scored big among independents and voters between 18 and 24, Clinton attracted lower-income voters and seniors and did best among voters citing the economy as their top concern.
    But a big factor for Clinton was women voters, who had gone over to Obama in large numbers in Iowa. Nearly half in New Hampshire were once again supporting her, while Obama got only a third.






    http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/080108/w0108115A.html







    Crap.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  2. #2171
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,768
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Before I fly off the handle I'm curious on your thoughts about the Republican party and more specifically Bush?

    Historically there are two types of people in any govt. Those that want to expand the borders of the country be it borders, influence, ideology, or just plain look at me. Primarily this is done through tough talk and up to war. The other side builds upon the countries gains or puts the country first. They improve infrastructure and what not. I'm not saying one party is one or another. Each person per party tends to lean one way.

    Bush obviously was in the camp that might was right. I agree that Sept. 11th started off everything but somewhere in that regime of Bush things went astray. The war in Afghanistan became diluted and we lost purpose. Then came Iraq which we had no business getting into. No Weapons of Mass Destruction were ever found and if we had they'd have been paraded all over the news. This along with other horrible decisions and the housing crisis put us into the worst recession I've ever known.

    Now, several people have said that Obama is some how going to magically steal this election. Does this suprize you really? Bush did it in 2004 with the state that got him the election (Florida) and the now famous term "hanging chad". Politicians will be politicians. The problem I have with people talking about secession is that it's guaranteed to be forced and will end in violence.

    People love complaining but don't do anything about it. If you have a problem with the government then fix it! If you truly believe that all government starts at the local level then you have every power to go out there and start fixing things.

    I hate to tell you this but no matter where you go you're going to get worked over. Here's a prime example. I recently refinanced my house to a fifteen year loan. I'm going to save over one hundred THOUSAND dollars in interest over the life of the loan. But because of that I'm going to have less interest to write off my taxes at the end of the year. So it comes down to am I going to pay the bank or the government.

    I figure I'm on a rant now so here's one of my biggest pet peeves. Republicans seem to rant about entitlements and how people are lazy and live off the government. These are usually the same people that tend to live in nicer houses or have a second house, lake house or whatever. If you truly believe everything I just said then don't claim the interest on your home loan. That's an entitlement any way you slice it. Entitlements exist at all levels of government and at all tax levels. Be sure you can live without them before you go preaching about removing them from someone else. And if you're curious yes I do claim the interest on my home and yes I'd be willing to not pay that if they removed the entitlements. This country is living a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget.
    I love that liberal talking point... "no weapons of mass destruction." What a load of BS. This is just one of the many reasons you can't talk with libs... because they don't know **** about history because they think it's irrelevant. The reason we knew Iraq had WMDs is because we gave them to them in the mid 80s. For 20 years, G.H. Bush, Clinton, and W. Bush along with the UN told Hussein to disclose what he did with those weapons or face an attack... and for 20 years, he jerked everyone around. Hussein USED these weapons on his own people. If you HONESTLY believe Hussein didn't help finance attacks and wasn't prepared to weaponize Bin Laden, then you're even more naive than most libs I've talked to. You're talking about a country roughly the same size as California... think there's no way to hide weapons in that kind of space? Hell, we gave Hussein 20 years to get them out of the country... think that couldn't have happened either? Get real. Look how long it took to get to Hussein and Bin Laden... AND THEY HAD TO COME ABOVE GROUND TO STAY ALIVE.... weapons don't need the same treatment.

    I don't have 2 houses. My family sits below the poverty line and I can't write off anything. I believe in hard work... not hand outs.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Spend-a-holic Dems...I've really heard it all now.

    No I'm not claiming that they haven't spent a butt load of money. But to assume that only Dems are spend-a-holics is naive at best or do we not count the trillions spent on war by the Repubs? It doesn't matter where it was spent or who spent it Repubs or Dems we're spending to much money!!! Stop blaming one side because it just isn't true.
    Because libs don't play war? Y'all have gotten us into more wars than Bush did. LMAO. Just because Obama reallocated troops doesn't mean he's ending wars. The largest CIA headquarters in the world is in Iraq. You really think that war is over? Now, we've got Libya, Syria, and Afgan continuation, and a standoff with a potentially nuclear Iran to worry about... I'd get off that high horse if I were you.

    I'd much rather spend money on protecting the country than giving $500 million to faux energy companies like Solyndra who go bankrupt just a couple years after getting the money. That stimulus those idiots passed should go down as one of the most disastrous pieces of ineptitude this country has ever seen. The corruption in this administration is absolutely unfathomable.

    It's funny that we always blame spending on presidents when in fact, it's actually congress that decides how we allocate money. ALL government spending originates in the House of Representatives. Since Pelosi took over as majority leader in 06, she has spent 3.66 BILLION PER DAY. She has added 5.343 TRILLION to our national debt. She has spent more money than the previous 49 speakers before her COMBINED.

    So yes, I believe the term "spend-a-holic" fits nicely here relative to her predecessors. Isn't it just like a liberal to say one thing and do the exact opposite?

    When Pelosi became speaker in January 2007 she was emphatic that there would be no new deficit spending.

    “After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: Pay as you go, no new deficit spending,” she said in her inaugural address from the speaker’s podium. “Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt.”

    Quick.... when was the last time a budget was passed? (hint: it's been over 1000 days)
    Last edited by texaschief; 06-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.

  3. #2172
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I love that liberal talking point... "no weapons of mass destruction." What a load of BS. This is just one of the many reasons you can't talk with libs... because they don't know **** about history because they think it's irrelevant. The reason we knew Iraq had WMDs is because we gave them to them in the mid 80s. For 20 years, G.H. Bush, Clinton, and W. Bush along with the UN told Hussein to disclose what he did with those weapons or face an attack... and for 20 years, he jerked everyone around. Hussein USED these weapons on his own people. If you HONESTLY believe Hussein didn't help finance attacks and wasn't prepared to weaponize Bin Laden, then you're even more naive than most libs I've talked to. You're talking about a country roughly the same size as California... think there's no way to hide weapons in that kind of space? Hell, we gave Hussein 20 years to get them out of the country... think that couldn't have happened either? Get real. Look how long it took to get to Hussein and Bin Laden... AND THEY HAD TO COME ABOVE GROUND TO STAY ALIVE.... weapons don't need the same treatment.

    I don't have 2 houses. My family sits below the poverty line and I can't write off anything. I believe in hard work... not hand outs.
    Saddam used gas against Iranian and Kurds back in the 1980's and we removed as much of it as we could find in the first Gulf War. Did Hussein have more poisoned gas absolutely but if you want to call invading a country because of that I'm going to call BS on your BS. Do you really think that was the reason we invaded? If so why haven't we invaded North Korea or Iran or any of a host of other countries with proven WMD? If you seriously think that Iran and North Korea aren't supplying Al Qaeda as well wow! But by all means Iraq was bad! We must attack! If anything we made Iran the sole power player in the Mid-East! The war was about oil and only about oil or worse yet and I hope I'm wrong that Bush Jr wanted to finish what Sr didn't.

    I have to say I get a chuckle out of labeling me a lib. I'm independent, I've voted for Repub's AND Dem's. If they're a good leader then I'll vote for them. I never said you have 2 houses, I used that as a prime example of what Repub's usually back down on getting rid of entitlements. If you sit below the poverty line then your standard deduction is writing something off and that's an "entitlement" in the strictest sense of the Republican word.

    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Because libs don't play war? Y'all have gotten us into more wars than Bush did. LMAO. Just because Obama reallocated troops doesn't mean he's ending wars. The largest CIA headquarters in the world is in Iraq. You really think that war is over? Now, we've got Libya, Syria, and Afgan continuation, and a standoff with a potentially nuclear Iran to worry about... I'd get off that high horse if I were you.

    I'd much rather spend money on protecting the country than giving $500 million to faux energy companies like Solyndra who go bankrupt just a couple years after getting the money. That stimulus those idiots passed should go down as one of the most disastrous pieces of ineptitude this country has ever seen. The corruption in this administration is absolutely unfathomable.

    It's funny that we always blame spending on presidents when in fact, it's actually congress that decides how we allocate money. ALL government spending originates in the House of Representatives. Since Pelosi took over as majority leader in 06, she has spent 3.66 BILLION PER DAY. She has added 5.343 TRILLION to our national debt. She has spent more money than the previous 49 speakers before her COMBINED.

    So yes, I believe the term "spend-a-holic" fits nicely here relative to her predecessors. Isn't it just like a liberal to say one thing and do the exact opposite?

    When Pelosi became speaker in January 2007 she was emphatic that there would be no new deficit spending.

    “After years of historic deficits, this 110th Congress will commit itself to a higher standard: Pay as you go, no new deficit spending,” she said in her inaugural address from the speaker’s podium. “Our new America will provide unlimited opportunity for future generations, not burden them with mountains of debt.”

    Quick.... when was the last time a budget was passed? (hint: it's been over 1000 days)
    Again, you're labeling me as a lib because I don't fall in line with the Republican selling points. War..? That's odd I only remember the first and second Gulf wars and then the war in Afghanistan. If you can point out any other wars since the first Gulf war I'd be interested. We've had incidents and we've sent people in and flown air support/attacks (insert Libya here) but no wars. As far as the CIA goes they seem to do as they please and if you truly believe that the govt is always in control I'd bet you think you can control a 17 yr old too. So no, I'm not on a high horse which means I have nothing to get off of.

    Since you like asking questions about budgets...do you know that the US spends more money on "protecting the country" than the next 14 countries COMBINED?!?! [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures"]List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] Now I'll give you that it's wikipedia but even then add up the 14 countries listed under the US and you still have 207 BILLION to play with. I don't know about you but giving $500 million to a fake energy company is laughable. Who cares!! Fine 206.5 BILLION left over when compared about the next 14 countries after the US.

    Now I'll give you that it's funny how presidents get blamed. I'm well aware that congress puts a budget together but who signs it? The President. Someone in this very same thread said that they think that Obama will veto this next budget and we won't have the support to override his veto. So we all know that the buck stops with the President. I'm sure that Bush was sitting there going MAN! I hate this budget but what the heck I'll sign it anyway. C'mon. You either missed or ignored the part where I said both Republicans AND Democrats need to stop spending money. Who cares who spent what or what party they were with. There are enough checks and balances in this government that they're ALL to blame.

    Not only that but does a budget really even matter anymore? Honestly? For the entire 21st century we've been like a family charging stuff on credit cards so they can continue living the lifestyle they've become accustom too. That's what the deficit ceiling raise is for all intensive purposes and that's been raised historically by both sides. It's just been this last one that was the most visible.

  4. #2173
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Topeka< KS
    Posts
    2,489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 61

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    TexasChief already said most of what I would have replied, but I will respond anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Before I fly off the handle I'm curious on your thoughts about the Republican party and more specifically Bush?
    I agree with the Republican party platform, for the most part, but they don't always stick to that platform. This is the greatest form of government in the world, but one of it's drawbacks is that "you have to give to get." The compromises water down Republican objectives and force them to spend money on things they probably shouldn't for the "greater good."

    I thought Bush did a very good job, overall, although I didn't agree with everything he did. He made the right decision, based on information he had at the time to go into Iraq .

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Historically there are two types of people in any govt. Those that want to expand the borders of the country be it borders, influence, ideology, or just plain look at me. Primarily this is done through tough talk and up to war. The other side builds upon the countries gains or puts the country first. They improve infrastructure and what not. I'm not saying one party is one or another. Each person per party tends to lean one way.

    Bush obviously was in the camp that might was right. I agree that Sept. 11th started off everything but somewhere in that regime of Bush things went astray. The war in Afghanistan became diluted and we lost purpose. Then came Iraq which we had no business getting into. No Weapons of Mass Destruction were ever found and if we had they'd have been paraded all over the news. This along with other horrible decisions and the housing crisis put us into the worst recession I've ever known.
    I'm not clear on the first part of what you said, but going into Iraq was absolutely the right decision. We had credible evidence that he had WMDs. He even used them for genocide against the Kurds in Northern Iraq. They could have easily buried them or moved them out of the country (probably into Syria). The fact that we haven't found any WMDs (yet) doesn't mean they aren't there now or weren't there at one time.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Now, several people have said that Obama is some how going to magically steal this election. Does this suprize you really? Bush did it in 2004 with the state that got him the election (Florida) and the now famous term "hanging chad". Politicians will be politicians.
    I have never said that Obama will steal the election and I don't hink he will. Bush didn't steal the last election. The democrats tried to steal it but failed. After the ballots were hand counted, overseen by the courts, an accurate count declared Bush the winner. I don't like the "Electoral College" voting process. It favors democrats because the largest states (except for Texas) are barely liberal and the Democrat candidate gets all of the votes from those states. But that is the system we have to live with until they change it to a popular (majority) vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    The problem I have with people talking about secession is that it's guaranteed to be forced and will end in violence.
    I agree. Violence is bad. But living in a socialist country without many of the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for is worse. Was the American Revolution bad because it was "violent?" Would you rather that we were still a part of the British Empire so we didn't have to deal with the violence? If so, then you represent nothing of what this country was founded on. you are the kind of person that totalitarian dictators love.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    People love complaining but don't do anything about it. If you have a problem with the government then fix it! If you truly believe that all government starts at the local level then you have every power to go out there and start fixing things.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I hate to tell you this but no matter where you go you're going to get worked over.
    What a depressing pessimistic thing to say! I guess we should just give up then. I think I'll kill myself now!

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Here's a prime example. I recently refinanced my house to a fifteen year loan. I'm going to save over one hundred THOUSAND dollars in interest over the life of the loan. But because of that I'm going to have less interest to write off my taxes at the end of the year. So it comes down to am I going to pay the bank or the government.
    Wait. The generous government allows you to write off the interest on your taxes to encourage you to own a home and you are mad because you can't write off as much because you aren't paying as much interest? Why should the government allow you to write off any interest payments? Are you going to pay over 100,000 dollars more in taxes with the refinancing? If not then you should be happy you can make the higher monthly payments and save all that money.

    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I figure I'm on a rant now so here's one of my biggest pet peeves. Republicans seem to rant about entitlements and how people are lazy and live off the government. These are usually the same people that tend to live in nicer houses or have a second house, lake house or whatever. If you truly believe everything I just said then don't claim the interest on your home loan. That's an entitlement any way you slice it.
    I pay $300/month rent to a friend and I'm way behind on that. It doesn't change my republican views.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Entitlements exist at all levels of government and at all tax levels. Be sure you can live without them before you go preaching about removing them from someone else. And if you're curious yes I do claim the interest on my home and yes I'd be willing to not pay that if they removed the entitlements. This country is living a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget.
    Yep.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 06-10-2012 at 03:31 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    MatthewsChiefs can't stand MatthewsChiefs

  5. #2174
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    kansas city
    Posts
    2,166
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 46

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I swear to God if I live to be a 100 ill NEVER understand him

    Obama: “The Private Sector is Doing Fine” he's totally off the planet. On Mars maybe. The Martian private sector is doing fine. People, be fair, he meant Mars. All over Mars, Martians are going back to work. The flying saucer industry in particular has really taken off, with Martian engineers constructing the next generation of clean-fuel flying saucers to lead the way toward a new kind of interplanetary travel for the 21st century.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qevbhsmKFOQ"]Obama To 23 Million Struggling Americans: &quot;The Private Sector Is Doing Fine&quot; - YouTube[/ame]


    Romney wasted no time with a counter punch

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL4YcCft5f4"]Romney: President Obama is out of touch for saying the private sector is doing fine - YouTube[/ame]
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

  6. #2175
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,768
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    I swear to God if I live to be a 100 ill NEVER understand him

    Obama: “The Private Sector is Doing Fine” he's totally off the planet. On Mars maybe. The Martian private sector is doing fine. People, be fair, he meant Mars. All over Mars, Martians are going back to work. The flying saucer industry in particular has really taken off, with Martian engineers constructing the next generation of clean-fuel flying saucers to lead the way toward a new kind of interplanetary travel for the 21st century.




    Romney wasted no time with a counter punch

    I see what you did there.

  7. #2176
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,768
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Obama wants the US to be a socialist welfare state like those in Europe. Members of his staff have said they are in favor of food stamps being a source of currency. Now it comes out that he was a member of a socialist party in Illinois.

    Long-time democrats are so proud that they don't want to admit that the democratic party is no longer the party of their fathers and grandfathers. It is now home to the most radical, socialist, communist, and racist organizations in the world. How can those people be in such denial?

  8. #2177
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    I swear to God if I live to be a 100 ill NEVER understand him

    Obama: “The Private Sector is Doing Fine” he's totally off the planet. On Mars maybe. The Martian private sector is doing fine. People, be fair, he meant Mars. All over Mars, Martians are going back to work. The flying saucer industry in particular has really taken off, with Martian engineers constructing the next generation of clean-fuel flying saucers to lead the way toward a new kind of interplanetary travel for the 21st century.




    Romney wasted no time with a counter punch

    Dang it! I haven't watched the youtube video's but all I got out of your post was "the flying saucer". Since that's the name of my favorite watering hole that's all I have on my mind now. With over 300 different types of beers here in KC it's gotta be close to 5 pm right?

  9. #2178
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,310
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    First off this is long so if it's to long to read I apologize.

    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    TexasChief already said most of what I would have replied, but I will respond anyway.

    I agree with the Republican party platform, for the most part, but they don't always stick to that platform. This is the greatest form of government in the world, but one of it's drawbacks is that "you have to give to get." The compromises water down Republican objectives and force them to spend money on things they probably shouldn't for the "greater good."

    I thought Bush did a very good job, overall, although I didn't agree with everything he did. He made the right decision, based on information he had at the time to go into Iraq .
    I think that's been my biggest problem with the Republican party is that they've absorbed to many "ideas", hence the watering down. As for Bush doing a very good job I think we'll agree to disagree.


    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I'm not clear on the first part of what you said, but going into Iraq was absolutely the right decision. We had credible evidence that he had WMDs. He even used them for genocide against the Kurds in Northern Iraq. They could have easily buried them or moved them out of the country (probably into Syria). The fact that we haven't found any WMDs (yet) doesn't mean they aren't there now or weren't there at one time.
    To start off you're trying to give yourself an unarguable position. First we can both agree that no WMD's have been found. But then to solidify that position they "buried them or moved them out of the country". You can't know that. They just as easily wouldn't have had any. Yes, they did use gas against the Kurds, in the 1980's! The gas and any WMD's got removed in the first Gulf war and anything about Iraq having them was pure speculation. We had boots on the ground to laser our targets. If we knew about any WMD's and we were there don't you think that would have been our first stop to say here! here they are, see we're justified. Secondly if they moved them into Syria more than likely they moved gas. With the way that Syria is right now do you really think Syria wouldn't have used some of them right now? Maybe not in a boom blow up the city and it's got gas but in a smaller form?


    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I have never said that Obama will steal the election and I don't hink he will. Bush didn't steal the last election. The democrats tried to steal it but failed. After the ballots were hand counted, overseen by the courts, an accurate count declared Bush the winner. I don't like the "Electoral College" voting process. It favors democrats because the largest states (except for Texas) are barely liberal and the Democrat candidate gets all of the votes from those states. But that is the system we have to live with until they change it to a popular (majority) vote.
    I never said you, actually the post I was referring to was texaschief's and it's below. The intent of this post is that Obama is going to steal the election. But lets be honest both sides play with numbers, votes and perceptions. It's all part of "the game" unfortunately.

    As for the Electoral College you tell me farther below that if I disagreed with revolution then I don't represent anything that this country was founded on. Isn't that the same idea by saying that you disagree with the Electoral College? It was set up in 1787 by the founding fathers. I'll agree that the votes per state might be skewed but more often then not it's been a good indicator of what the people want. Perfect? No, but functional enough to be left in place.

    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think y'all are giving the Obama administration WAY too much credit by expecting them to play by the rules this election. Even if most of the country votes against him, his campaign will skew poll numbers leading up to the election so that when they commit voter fraud, his "narrow win" won't come as a shock to the general public.

    BET ON IT.

    Hell, even the company the US will be using to count oversees votes is a company George Soros owns. There's no way those who hold the real power will allow this guy NOT to get re-elected.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I agree. Violence is bad. But living in a socialist country without many of the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for is worse. Was the American Revolution bad because it was "violent?" Would you rather that we were still a part of the British Empire so we didn't have to deal with the violence? If so, then you represent nothing of what this country was founded on. you are the kind of person that totalitarian dictators love.
    Violence will always be necessary at some point in life. In no way shape or form do I deny that. I don't think we should have patted Hitler on the head and said oh, let's talk our way out of this. But comparing today's problems with the reasons for the American Revolution is stretching it a bit isn't it? I'm not tryign to be a smart @ss here. If you truly think so then tell me why and then tell me how that stacks up to the reasons for the American Revolution. Basically I want to know on a guage, are we 50% up there on the scale of a justified American Revolution? 110%, 25%....you get the idea. Classifying me as the kind of person that a totalitarian dictator loves is over the top though. I've made three or four posts in this thread and you know enough of my ideas to classify me as a "he'll just take it" guy?


    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    What a depressing pessimistic thing to say! I guess we should just give up then. I think I'll kill myself now!
    This is a purely shock value statement. Yes, it's pessimistic but if you can honestly tell me that we're on the same playing field where a person can get rich with hard work and dedication as it was fifty or even twenty years ago then I'll tell you you're wrong. Student loans, high home prices, salaries that haven't even kept pace with inflation and the list goes on. Now you throw in that if the bank isn't roughing you over it's the govt how can it not be easy to be pessimistic?


    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Wait. The generous government allows you to write off the interest on your taxes to encourage you to own a home and you are mad because you can't write off as much because you aren't paying as much interest? Why should the government allow you to write off any interest payments? Are you going to pay over 100,000 dollars more in taxes with the refinancing? If not then you should be happy you can make the higher monthly payments and save all that money.
    No my complaint was never about the govt letting me write off as much interest. It was that where the money is going seems to just have shifted to who I'm paying it too because now I don't get to write off as much on my taxes. So instead of paying it to the bank now I'm just paying it to the govt in the form of more taxes. It's a minor complaint at best and honestly it was one I probably should have just kept to myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I pay $300/month rent to a friend and I'm way behind on that. It doesn't change my republican views.
    I'm not and never will try to change a person's political views. It's a zero sum game and quite honestly gives me a headache. lol

    This is just a general rant but my biggest problem with the policial system of today is that it's like a work place blame game. Instead of people coming together to say I don't give a d@mn who broke it or why it's broke, lets just fix this in a smart way. Another is that it's becoming increasingly harder to get ahead in life for someone not born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I have a good job, I recognize that but until I got it I'd always wanted the American dream. A house to call home, the white picket fence, blah, blah, blah. But when you get a 3% raise (if I got one at all) when you're making $10 an hour is 30 cents an hour. Extrapolated out that's $2.40 a day, $12 a week and $624 a year. Lets just say I'm trying to buy a house and it's $100,000. Until the crash houses were going up...say even 1% for the better part of an entire decade and some years it was far more than that. That's $1000 a year so every year a person waited to buy a house because they couldn't quite afford it just yet their goal was getting farther and farther away! Because the next year that 1% is going to be $1010.

    That's just one example. Another is the grocery stores. Take a look at the items in the grocery store and keep track of them for several months. Items have got smaller in size and the price has stayed the same or the item has stayed the same size but the price has increased. So now it cost more to buy groceries, same with gas prices obviously. So the day to day stuff that people needs costs more which strips away your salary to keep you from getting ahead. Then you look at salaries, depending upon which poll you're reading the years vary but since about the 1980's the salary of a person has stayed flat. I'd venture mainly because of the general day to day things in life keeping pace so you can't go out and do anything else. Student loans is a whole other area.

    With all that rant I'm not trying to say that I "deserve" anything. The heck with that I'm going to work and work hard for it. My grandparents came from nothing and my parents on both sides were the first ones to have a college degree. I can see that the discrepencies between have an have nots is widening and at some point there won't be a way (without a revolution) to get there. Then a revolution will happen because the have nots will be greater than the haves. I'd like to think I'm smart with my money and that I'm working my way to the have's side. But I can see in the not so distant future that if I do make it to the haves and my kids have it better than me that it all could be stripped away because we've made it impossible for others to get there. No one likes to be told no or be treated unfairly. Then all my hard work and my parents hard work and all that came before them is stripped away and my kids are back to square one. So yeah, I'm going to complain about a few things here and there but it's also why I'd rather fix it by fixing the system instead going to war.
    Last edited by OPLookn; 06-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.

  10. #2179
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,768
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 51

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Obama circumvents congress AND doesn't even go through the trouble of writing an executive order to give illegal immigrants amnesty. Like I said before, you're kidding yourselves if you thought this president was going to play by the rules this election. He just gave all these illegals amnesty and his administration is doing everything they can to fight voter I.D. laws.... can anyone else add 2+2?

  11. #2180
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,142
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    So, with Citizen United, where a corporation, or union, is granted the speech rights of an individual, who decides what the.voice of the smaller investor should say?

    I mean, as the small investor, who is making the decision for what my political opinion is?

    Why is that right of speech up to the corporate head instead of individual?

    Oh sure, one.could say that I choose when I choose to invest. But that is not quite my choice of speech.

    Not to mention, the information of what voice a corporation will choose for me is no longer available. The corporation gets to decide what my voice is, and they don't even have to let me know what my voice is.

    Citizens United was a 100% politically motivated decision, unless the majority (all Republican) failed to take into account the voice of individuals, which was the clear intent of the 1st. I am not about to believe that they just so happen to be so stupid, coincidentally by party line.

    By the way, did a bi-partisan decision knock down most of the Arizona immigration law? And what about the eve so.unconstitutional healthcare law?

    Let me guess, even though the law clearly states that it is a penalty, not a tax, and The SCOTUS passed the law as written....... Somehow, it magically became a tax just because Justice Roberts says he passed it because it is a tax, even though he voted for it as written, a penalty, not a tax?

    Sorry. But it is not a tax. It is a penalty. Roberts' statement did not rewrite the law.

    Roberts' statement is nothing more than commentary.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •