Page 238 of 258 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 2571

Thread: The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Default The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Clinton, McCain emerge as comeback winners in New Hampshire primary

WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Clinton pulled off an unexpected narrow victory in New Hampshire on Tuesday, dramatically rescuing her bid for the White House in a tense battle with Barack Obama.
    Clinton, who's fighting to become the first woman in the Oval Office, mounted a surprisingly strong showing after bracing for a second defeat following her devastating third-place showing in Iowa.
    Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y. greets a familiar face. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/Elise Amendola
    Republican John McCain also nabbed a major comeback victory, putting him solidly back in his party's nomination race.
    While Obama, vying to make history as the first black U.S. president, scored big among independents and voters between 18 and 24, Clinton attracted lower-income voters and seniors and did best among voters citing the economy as their top concern.
    But a big factor for Clinton was women voters, who had gone over to Obama in large numbers in Iowa. Nearly half in New Hampshire were once again supporting her, while Obama got only a third.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/080108/w0108115A.html

Crap.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    You make a good point about the two party vs multi-party system, but I do wonder how well it would work to have a viable third independent party that could tip the balance of power in congress.
    A third party would definitely tip the balance of power ... in favor of the Democrats. A Tea Party or strong Libertarian Party would just split the votes of conservative and moderate Republicans and the Dems would win everything. In some cases Libertarian candidates are already siphoning of enough votes to swing elections in favor of Democrats.

Ronald Reagan said it best in 1975:

"Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people? ...

And if there are those who cannot subscribe to these principles, then let them go their way. (source)"
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    A third party would definitely tip the balance of power ... in favor of the Democrats. A Tea Party or strong Libertarian Party would just split the votes of conservative and moderate Republicans and the Dems would win everything. In some cases Libertarian candidates are already siphoning of enough votes to swing elections in favor of Democrats.

Ronald Reagan said it best in 1975:

"Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people? ...

And if there are those who cannot subscribe to these principles, then let them go their way. (source)"
    I guess therein lies the crux of the Republican party, that there are so many factions thereof while the Democrats are widely united. I really miss Ronald Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Poll results can be be highly skewed depending how the questions are worded. I'm also highly skeptical of polls that are conducted by highly biased organizations (MoveOn.org, MSNBC, Fox News). That poll was conducted by "the Morning Consult, a healthcare media company." They would have a high personal interest in implementing a law that requires everyone in the country to buy healthcare insurance.

But the biggest red flag for me is this: "Most polls show that voters disapprove of the 2010 health care law by significant margins. The Morning Consult’s poll did not" That tells me that the poll is biased and not asking neutral questions that would lead to an accurate poll result.

"Here are the numbers. 26 percent of the respondents identified as Republicans, compared to 42 percent Democrats and 31 percent independents."
    The poll highly under represents Republicans, slightly under represents Democrats and highly over represents independents (who tend to predominantly vote Democrat). An accurate poll should should have numbers that mirror the American population.

And did you read the "update" at the bottom of the page in the same article?

Kind of kills your whole argument there, huh?[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Not really, you just said it yourself "Poll results can be be highly skewed depending how the questions are worded..." and where the poll is conducted. You have to admit a poll of 1500 people is not really strong enough. I do not know the total polled in that one but I doubt it was much.

As I said, Congress should let it go. Just imagine how well the Republicans will do in the next election if this ACA really goes down hill!

Also about Rush: At least Jon is a comedian. You want 3 things which Rush was wrong, well there are books about that. Here is a link for one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Things.../dp/156584260X

Here are just links to prove his lies and of his hatred:
    http://fair.org/extra-online-article...-things-arent/
    http://rushtruth.net/

And here is his rating from PolitiFact:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/rush-limbaugh/

Like I said before I was Republican, more independent now though leaning left lately. However even when I was very Republican I couldn't stand Rush. My parents liked him but hearing how he made people so small on his radio is disgusting. Of course this is my opinion and I am not here to even try to change anyone's opinion on this person. You just wanted 3 points so I gave you 4.

Now if I can learn more about our players and the team, I could post more in the other forums. Just I am too involved with our politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    The problem as I see it is that Obama is acting less like the leader of a free people elected from the masses and more like a dictator.
    THIS

I watched today on the tv thingy and saw how he said they wouldn't even talk unless the republicans to call for a vote to reopen the goverment which would benefit the democrats. So pretty much meet our terms or we won't even talk. That's NOT negotiating that's making demands. It's sad but Obama is turning out to be just as bad of not worse then Bush. I don't fallow politics much but hereing that from the president just kind of ticked me off. So many are out of work because of this shutdown and he won't even talk about getting them back to work unless he gets his way.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

They are both making demands. Both sides want something which the other side will not give. Like it was said, two party system is gonna kill us.

Quote Originally Posted by mejohnm View Post
    Not really, you just said it yourself "Poll results can be be highly skewed depending how the questions are worded..." and where the poll is conducted.
    Yes really. It totally shatters your argument. You said " I hear 2/3 of the Americans do want this bill."and then you link to a poll that doesn't say that at all. The poll says that only 33% want it repealed, defunded or delayed. That doesn't mean that the other 2/3 want the bill. In fact, it goes on to say that another "29 percent believe that 'Congress should make changes to improve the law.'" And then on the other side you have 12% who feel the law doesn't go far enough. "12 percent believe that 'Congress should expand the law.'" Only about 1 person in 4 (26%) "believe that “Congress should let the law take effect.”"

So your premise that the article supports what you think the poll says (that 2/3 of Americans want this bill) is wrong to begin with. I go on to explain why I feel the poll is biased and show you (in the same article you cited) another poll that says the opposite of what you think the first poll said. Furthermore the 2nd poll not only says that a majority of Americans want the law stopped, but they want congress to shut down the Governmet if necessary to stop it. "... the survey found that by a 5-point margin, respondents support using every opportunity to defund or delay the ACA rather than simply passing a “clean” bill to fund the government.

You have to admit a poll of 1500 people is not really strong enough.
    No I don't. In fact 1500 (or the 1976 respondants that were used in the first poll) is actually quite a lot for an opinion survey. According to Wikipedia,
    In practice, pollsters need to balance the cost of a large sample against the reduction in sampling error and a sample size of around 500–1,000 is a typical compromise for political polls.
    I do not know the total polled in that one but I doubt it was much.
    You are assuming facts not in evidence, a common tactic that liberals use when they are losing a debate. How do you know that the 2nd poll didn't use 2000 or 3000 responses? It was very easy for me to find out how many people were polled. In the article you cited it says "The American Action Forum has published an Obamacare poll surveying voters in 18 competitive congressional districts." I just clicked on the link and found that 1200 likely voters were polled. That's plenty for an opinion poll.

As I said, Congress should let it go. Just imagine how well the Republicans will do in the next election if this ACA really goes down hill!
    Then they would be breaking their campaign promises to try to stop the law and screwing the very people who voted for them and sent them to Washington, D.C. in the first place. That's what Obama does. Obama's Long List of Broken Promises

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    THIS

I watched today on the tv thingy and saw how he said they wouldn't even talk unless the republicans to call for a vote to reopen the goverment which would benefit the democrats. So pretty much meet our terms or we won't even talk. That's NOT negotiating that's making demands. It's sad but Obama is turning out to be just as bad of not worse then Bush. I don't fallow politics much but hereing that from the president just kind of ticked me off. So many are out of work because of this shutdown and he won't even talk about getting them back to work unless he gets his way.
    I agree with the rest of what you said but I wouldn't worry about the Federal employees who are furloughed because of the Government shutdown. When it's over they will get all of their back pay, so this is just extra paid vacation time for them. If they use up their savings they may have to fill up a credit card or two, but this is the 18th shutdown in American History, and Congress always votes to pay Federal workers for the time they have lost. If they are going to pay themselves (and you know they will) it would look really bad for them if they didn't pay all the other Federal employees!

Also about Rush: At least Jon is a comedian.
    Actually so is Rush. He is an "entertainer" who often "uses absurdity to illustrate the absurd." (His words.) people who don't listen to him on a regualr basis often don't get his satire or parody.

You want 3 things which Rush was wrong, well there are books about that. Here is a link for one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Way-Things.../dp/156584260X

Here are just links to prove his lies and of his hatred:
    http://fair.org/extra-online-article...-things-arent/
    http://rushtruth.net/

And here is his rating from PolitiFact:
    http://www.politifact.com/personalities/rush-limbaugh/

Like I said before I was Republican, more independent now though leaning left lately. However even when I was very Republican I couldn't stand Rush. My parents liked him but hearing how he made people so small on his radio is disgusting. Of course this is my opinion and I am not here to even try to change anyone's opinion on this person. You just wanted 3 points so I gave you 4. ...
    Actually, no, you didn't give me any. You shared a link where I could buy a book. (I'll see if I can find it in my local library. Should be good for some laughs.) The 2nd link is to a page that quotes passages from the book in the first link so, really that doesn't count. The book was published nearly 20 years ago in 1995. So there is nothing there from the last 19 years!

The 3rd link is to a site that is set up specifically to attack Rush (no bias there!) I only looked at the first "lie" and the point he was making is that gays can marry as long as they marry someone of the opposite sex. That's true. Actually the country HAS never stopped anyone from getting married because all marriage laws are handled by the individual States.

The 4th link uses short quotes and evaluates them for "truthfulness." Without seeing the context in which they were made, it's impossible to tell if he was using Hyperbole (biggest tax increase in the history of the World?), joking (can't even go fishing?) or being sarcastic. I noticed the site only cherry picks statements they disagree with. It doesn't list any of the thousands of things he has said that are undoubtedly true. The best he can do is "mostly true."

You called him a "joke" (previously) because you don't like his personality. You say he "made people so small on his radio." That's fine if you don't like him. he is not everyones cup of tea. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but most of what he says is true.

Bottom line here is that this is a law. It was passed by the acting Congress at that time. It was failed to be over turned by the current Congress. The Republicans will not be breaking their campaign promises, they did all they could. What they are doing now is just hurting the USA. To be demanding that a law does not go into effect is wrong. This will only hurt the USA more.

If members of Congress would do this for all laws that were passed, I could only imagine how much longer America will be America as it is today. Laws can be overturned, by doing it the way the Founders wanted to be done, by voting, not this way. And this goes for any party.

And about Rush, it is my opinion and that is his a proven lair, happy you have yours that he says the truth. Guess he was right in this one too which did cost him:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2923643.html
    Last edited by mejohnm; 10-05-2013 at 02:37 AM.