Page 232 of 258 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 2571

Thread: The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Default The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Clinton, McCain emerge as comeback winners in New Hampshire primary

WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Clinton pulled off an unexpected narrow victory in New Hampshire on Tuesday, dramatically rescuing her bid for the White House in a tense battle with Barack Obama.
    Clinton, who's fighting to become the first woman in the Oval Office, mounted a surprisingly strong showing after bracing for a second defeat following her devastating third-place showing in Iowa.
    Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y. greets a familiar face. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/Elise Amendola
    Republican John McCain also nabbed a major comeback victory, putting him solidly back in his party's nomination race.
    While Obama, vying to make history as the first black U.S. president, scored big among independents and voters between 18 and 24, Clinton attracted lower-income voters and seniors and did best among voters citing the economy as their top concern.
    But a big factor for Clinton was women voters, who had gone over to Obama in large numbers in Iowa. Nearly half in New Hampshire were once again supporting her, while Obama got only a third.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/080108/w0108115A.html

Crap.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

It's been suggested that with all that has been going on politically that perhaps it is time to revive this thread. So, I'll start with how I feel about Obama's handling of Syria.

Now becomes evident, to even liberals, the obvious and complete incompetence of this administration, and to think that he was actually awarded a second term. Perhaps if Obama hadn't gone off teleprompter and irresponsibly shot from the lip about red lines putting himself and the nation in a position to contemplate military action against a country that hasn't attacked us just in order to try and salvage what little credibility he had in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess. I am not for taking military action just merely pointing out the ineffectiveness of this administration. However, then a chance for diplomacy arrives when another off teleprompter rhetorical answer, this time by John Kerry, made it possible for Putin to swoop in with his "plan" to bail Obama out of his self made conundrum. I see this whole debacle as nothing more than a ploy by Obama to try and save face, except he'd already lost all credibility and reduced the United States to a global non-factor in the process. Anyone with half a brain knows that when Obama couldn't even get our closest ally, the UK, to follow him down that rabbit hole then unilateral military action against Syria was a bluff the likes that have not been seen since the "bay of pigs". Meanwhile, Putin has been playing Obama like a Stradivarius.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 09-18-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    It's been suggested that with all that has been going on politically that perhaps it is time to revive this thread. So, I'll start with how I feel about Obama's handling of Syria.

Now becomes evident, to even liberals, the obvious and complete incompetence of this administration, and to think that he was actually awarded a second term. Perhaps if Obama hadn't gone off teleprompter and irresponsibly shot from the lip about red lines putting himself and the nation in a position to contemplate military action against a country that hasn't attacked us just in order to try and salvage what little credibility he had in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess. I am not for taking military action just merely pointing out the ineffectiveness of this administration. However, then a chance for diplomacy arrives when another off teleprompter rhetorical answer, this time by John Kerry, made it possible for Putin to swoop in with his "plan" to bail Obama out of his self made conundrum. I see this whole debacle as nothing more than a ploy by Obama to try and save face, except he'd already lost all credibility and reduced the United States to a global non-factor in the process. Anyone with half a brain knows that when Obama couldn't even get our closest ally, the UK, to follow him down that rabbit hole then unilateral military action against Syria was a bluff the likes that have not been seen since the "bay of pigs". Meanwhile, Putin has been playing Obama like a Stradivarius.
    Well, said Chiefster.

Obama is clearly out of his element here. The problem is that he put the US in a "no win" situation.

First, he drew a line in the sand. He said that if Assad used chemical weapons, there would be harsh consequences. He never defined what those consequences would be and I don't think he had a plan-of-action to begin with. He thought that just making a threat of action would stop Assad from using chemical weapons. It didn't.

Then, after Assad used chemical weapons, he said. "Wait. We don't know if it was him or the rebels. But if it was him, we're gonna ... um ... do something and he'll be sorry!"

Then he goes on tv and tells America that Assad is another Hitler and we can't let him get away with using chemical weapons on innocent women and children. "We tried diplomacy, sanctions and threats and he still used chemical weapons. So, now we must use force."

"But not yet. Let's try some more diplomacy first!"

He says as Commander-in-Chief he has the authority to act without Congressional approval. But let's get it anyway. It just looks better if we have the full support of America behind our actions. The truth is if military action blows up in our faces (and it will), he can then say "don't blame me. I had the full support of Congress. This is what Americans wanted me to do."

So he calls on Congress to vote in favor of military action, then says "but wait. Don't vote on it, yet. Let's give diplomacy a chance first to see if our good friend Putin can talk Syria into voluntarily destroying their chemical weapons, under the supervision and watchful eye of the UN." The truth is, he knows that right now even democrats won't support him.

Then he says "this won't be another Iraq or Afghanistan. It would be just a tiny little focused limited strike to weaken the Assad regime. (But don't call it a 'pin-prick!'). He says we don't want to force Assad out of power. We just want to weaken him enough for the rebels to force him out of power!

Now if we don't act, we look weak and we embolden other dictators to do what Assad did (or worse). If we do act, Assad may attack Israel and we could draw Iran and Russia into the fray, possibly starting WWIII! If we go in with a limited, targeted strike, we accomplish nothing except to make the Middle East even MORE unstable and we still look weak. If we go in with overwhelming force we look like a bully that wants to force our will on foreign powers.

If the rebels oust Assad, then Muslim extremists could take power and make things even worse than when Assad was in control.

If Putin does succeed in getting Syria to destroy their chemical weapons, he looks like the hero and, while Obama will try to share the credit, he will look like the clueless, impotent, ineffectual leader he is.

Do you think we would have gotten into this predicament if Reagan was President? ... or even George W. Bush? I don't.

Obama screwed up. He drew a red line and then said he didn't draw it; the civilized world drew it. We can't change what happened, but here we are. What do we do now?
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 09-20-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Well, said Chiefster.

Obama is clearly out of his element here. The problem is that he put the US in a "no win" situation.

First, he drew a line in the sand. He said that if Assad used chemical weapons, there would be harsh consequences. He never defined what those consequences would be and I don't think he had a plan-of-action to begin with. He thought that just making a threat of action would stop Assad from using chemical weapons. It didn't.

Then, after Assad used chemical weapons, he said. "Wait. We don't know if it was him or the rebels. But if it was him, we're gonna ... um ... do something and he'll be sorry!"

Then he goes on tv and tells America that Assad is another Hitler and we can't let him get away with using chemical weapons on innocent women and children. "We tried diplomacy, sanctions and threats and he still used chemical weapons. So, now we must use force."

"But not yet. Let's try some more diplomacy first!"

He says as Commander-in-Chief he has the authority to act without Congressional approval. But let's get it anyway. It just looks better if we have the full support of America behind our actions. The truth is if military action blows up in our faces (and it will), he can then say "don't blame me. I had the full support of Congress. This is what Americans wanted me to do."

So he calls on Congress to vote in favor of military action, then says "but wait. Don't vote on it, yet. Let's give diplomacy a chance first to see if our good friend Putin can talk Syria into voluntarily destroying their chemical weapons, under the supervision and watchful eye of the UN." The truth is, he knows that right now even democrats won't support him.

Then he says "this won't be another Iraq or Afghanistan. It would be just a tiny little focused limited strike to weaken the Assad regime. (But don't call it a 'pin-prick!'). He says we don't want to force Assad out of power. We just want to weaken him enough for the rebels to force him out of power!

Now if we don't act, we look weak and we embolden other dictators to do what Assad did (or worse). If we do act, Assad may attack Israel and we could draw Iran and Russia into the fray, possibly starting WWIII! If we go in with a limited, targeted strike, we accomplish nothing except to make the Middle East even MORE unstable and we still look weak. If we go in with overwhelming force we look like a bully that wants to force our will on foreign powers.

If the rebels oust Assad, then Muslim extremists could take power and make things even worse than when Assad was in control.

If Putin does succeed in getting Syria to destroy their chemical weapons, he looks like the hero and, while Obama will try to share the credit, he will look like the clueless, impotent, ineffectual leader he is.

Do you think we would have gotten into this predicament if Reagan was President? ... or even George W. Bush? I don't.

Obama screwed up. He drew a red line and then said he didn't draw it; the civilized world drew it. We can't change what happened, but here we are. What do we do now?
    Nothing, it's "checkmate". We wait for 2016 and hope against hope Billary doesn't run, and the Republican's nominate someone with a spine.

Great reply, rep!

Yay politics!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    That's funny stuff!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]