Page 143 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2571

Thread: The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Default The ONLY political and religious thread allowed on Chiefscrowd

Clinton, McCain emerge as comeback winners in New Hampshire primary

WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Clinton pulled off an unexpected narrow victory in New Hampshire on Tuesday, dramatically rescuing her bid for the White House in a tense battle with Barack Obama.
    Clinton, who's fighting to become the first woman in the Oval Office, mounted a surprisingly strong showing after bracing for a second defeat following her devastating third-place showing in Iowa.
    Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y. greets a familiar face. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS/Elise Amendola
    Republican John McCain also nabbed a major comeback victory, putting him solidly back in his party's nomination race.
    While Obama, vying to make history as the first black U.S. president, scored big among independents and voters between 18 and 24, Clinton attracted lower-income voters and seniors and did best among voters citing the economy as their top concern.
    But a big factor for Clinton was women voters, who had gone over to Obama in large numbers in Iowa. Nearly half in New Hampshire were once again supporting her, while Obama got only a third.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/080108/w0108115A.html

Crap.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Totally missed it.

I'm actually waiting for the VP debates.
    Thats next week right? Can't wait to see that!

Yeah me too.

It's so great that we all get to be heroes and sacrifice our hard-earned money that we already don't have enough of in order to bail-out corporations that ship our jobs overseas. The world would truly be a dismal place if CEO's couldn't play golf or had to give up their Benz and 72 inch flat screens. I love social-capitalism...
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Watched it last night. Just as I expected, I thought McCain had the substance but Obama had the style. And since it's television I'm afraid that Obama may benefit more from that.

McCain had a few good zingers but also seemed to miss opportunites to rebut Obama.

Obama's up by 5 and 6 points in the latest Gallup and Rasmussen polls. I'm pessimistic that he's going to win.

But will be interesting to see the Vice Presidential debate next week, yes.

Burning Down The House: What Caused Our Economic Crisis?
    Fannie Mae was writing mortgages to high risk lenders. mainly blacks and Hispanic's. I knew about this years ago. my next door neighbor wrote mortgages. he told me he was shocked they were giving loans to borrower's WITH NO INCOME. feature that.

September 30, 1999
    Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending
    By STEVEN A. HOLMES
    In a move that could help increase home ownership rates among minorities and low-income consumers, the Fannie Mae Corporation is easing the credit requirements on loans that it will purchase from banks and other lenders.

The action, which will begin as a pilot program involving 24 banks in 15 markets -- including the New York metropolitan region -- will encourage those banks to extend home mortgages to individuals whose credit is generally not good enough to qualify for conventional loans. Fannie Mae officials say they hope to make it a nationwide program by next spring.

Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits.

In addition, banks, thrift institutions and mortgage companies have been pressing Fannie Mae to help them make more loans to so-called subprime borrowers. These borrowers whose incomes, credit ratings and savings are not good enough to qualify for conventional loans, can only get loans from finance companies that charge much higher interest rates -- anywhere from three to four percentage points higher than conventional loans.

''Fannie Mae has expanded home ownership for millions of families in the 1990's by reducing down payment requirements,'' said Franklin D. Raines, Fannie Mae's chairman and chief executive officer. ''Yet there remain too many borrowers whose credit is just a notch below what our underwriting has required who have been relegated to paying significantly higher mortgage rates in the so-called subprime market.''

Demographic information on these borrowers is sketchy. But at least one study indicates that 18 percent of the loans in the subprime market went to black borrowers, compared to 5 per cent of loans in the conventional loan market.

In moving, even tentatively, into this new area of lending, Fannie Mae is taking on significantly more risk, which may not pose any difficulties during flush economic times. But the government-subsidized corporation may run into trouble in an economic downturn, prompting a government rescue similar to that of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's.

''From the perspective of many people, including me, this is another thrift industry growing up around us,'' said Peter Wallison a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute. ''If they fail, the government will have to step up and bail them out the way it stepped up and bailed out the thrift industry.''

Under Fannie Mae's pilot program, consumers who qualify can secure a mortgage with an interest rate one percentage point above that of a conventional, 30-year fixed rate mortgage of less than $240,000 -- a rate that currently averages about 7.76 per cent. If the borrower makes his or her monthly payments on time for two years, the one percentage point premium is dropped.

Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, does not lend money directly to consumers. Instead, it purchases loans that banks make on what is called the secondary market. By expanding the type of loans that it will buy, Fannie Mae is hoping to spur banks to make more loans to people with less-than-stellar credit ratings.

Fannie Mae officials stress that the new mortgages will be extended to all potential borrowers who can qualify for a mortgage. But they add that the move is intended in part to increase the number of minority and low income home owners who tend to have worse credit ratings than non-Hispanic whites.

Home ownership has, in fact, exploded among minorities during the economic boom of the 1990's. The number of mortgages extended to Hispanic applicants jumped by 87.2 per cent from 1993 to 1998, according to Harvard University's Joint Center for Housing Studies. During that same period the number of African Americans who got mortgages to buy a home increased by 71.9 per cent and the number of Asian Americans by 46.3 per cent.

In contrast, the number of non-Hispanic whites who received loans for homes increased by 31.2 per cent.

Despite these gains, home ownership rates for minorities continue to lag behind non-Hispanic whites, in part because blacks and Hispanics in particular tend to have on average worse credit ratings.

In July, the Department of Housing and Urban Development proposed that by the year 2001, 50 percent of Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's portfolio be made up of loans to low and moderate-income borrowers. Last year, 44 percent of the loans Fannie Mae purchased were from these groups.

The change in policy also comes at the same time that HUD is investigating allegations of racial discrimination in the automated underwriting systems used by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to determine the credit-worthiness of credit applicants.

source

and who wrote it into law ???? ill give ya 1 guess. watch it and weep

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6fuFrdCJY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6fuFrdCJY[/ame]
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

How old is this thread? Are you ever going to actually vote? (Excuse my ignorance, I am Canadian) It just seems like this has already been going on a while.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    How old is this thread? Are you ever going to actually vote? (Excuse my ignorance, I am Canadian) It just seems like this has already been going on a while.
    November 4th.

And yes, politics is ridiculous here.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Yeah ever since Hillary started her campaign way back in January 2007, we've had almost 2 years of such a long '08 presidential race. So it's to the point for me now where it's hard to watch the debates because of having fatigue from all this. And I've also had my fill of all the political commercials that keep coming on tv!

I'm IlovetheChiefs and I approve this post.

How about a mix of politics and football here: (It's really an all football comment, but made by political host Rush Limbaugh. Thus, I quote it in our only political thread)

"Al Davis still thinks the Oakland Raiders compete for the Super Bowl every year. He still thinks he's got a quarterback, Jim Plunkett or Daryle Lamonica out there throwing the ball 80 yards down the field. He thinks he's still got all of his great wide receivers out there. The Oakland Raiders have been, frankly, a joke in the National Football League for I don't know how long, but Al Davis doesn't know it, and he's running it."

Had to post that since it blasted on the Faders!

I didn't take speed reading classes. What did it say? :p