Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is more important?

Default What is more important?

Brute force, or technique?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Not to avoid your question HH, but they are tied together. Think of it this way. Technique is all about leverage. If I want to move the guy across the line of scrimmage I need strength...however I need less strength if I get leverage on him...(Get below his shoulder pads)...If I get leverage I take away some of his strength that would be pushing against me.

So as you can see technique is critical. But if I put a 5'7" 150 lb wus on the line (say one who has an affinity for cats and parrots), and put Canada or me on the other side, it wouldn't matter if you had leverage, you couldn't move my fat a$$. Thus brute strength has its place.

Speed/quickness is the other factor you neglected in this question. If you have the same technique and the same amount of strength as the guy across the line, but you hit him first...YOU MOVE HIM...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Beer
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Not to avoid your question HH, but they are tied together. Think of it this way. Technique is all about leverage. If I want to move the guy across the line of scrimmage I need strength...however I need less strength if I get leverage on him...(Get below his shoulder pads)...If I get leverage I take away some of his strength that would be pushing against me.

So as you can see technique is critical. But if I put a 5'7" 150 lb wus on the line (say one who has an affinity for cats and parrots), and put Canada or me on the other side, it wouldn't matter if you had leverage, you couldn't move my fat a$$. Thus brute strength has its place.

Speed/quickness is the other factor you neglected in this question. If you have the same technique and the same amount of strength as the guy across the line, but you hit him first...YOU MOVE HIM...
    Makes sense to me.

I like the breakdown you gave there.

Speed is important period, so I didn't include that aspect.

Just was wondering what I should be looking for when watching linemen.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I'd say technique.
    Everything happens for a reason.

technique for sure, but I think being hungry and having an edge to you can compensate for a lack of either so alot goes into finding what we should be looking for and that is a complete player that is also smart.

Of allof those factors, I would list quickness as no.1. It is what allows one to gain the leverage advantages. Quickness of hands, feet, and body, combined with good technique can overcome a very big size/strength advantage.

However, a certain amount of quickness and technique can be taught. Whereas size/strength are partially limited by genetics.

If you were going to offer me one of those attributes, I would take the size, and then work on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Of allof those factors, I would list quickness as no.1. It is what allows one to gain the leverage advantages. Quickness of hands, feet, and body, combined with good technique can overcome a very big size/strength advantage.

However, a certain amount of quickness and technique can be taught. Whereas size/strength are partially limited by genetics.

If you were going to offer me one of those attributes, I would take the size, and then work on the rest.
    Good points, but I'd argue that you can improve speed and quickness only so much. If a guy is naturally quick, and has size, I can teach him technique.

Oh and since we are mentioning training/teaching...don't forget INTELLIGENCE!!! It matters.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Brains.. The ones we fried watching the S#*@$ Chiefs this year. Sad........
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Good points, but I'd argue that you can improve speed and quickness only so much. If a guy is naturally quick, and has size, I can teach him technique.

Oh and since we are mentioning training/teaching...don't forget INTELLIGENCE!!! It matters.
    That is exactly why I think that quickness is the most important skill.

Unfortunately, if you do not have the "right" size, then you are unlikely to be given the opportunity at the NFL level. And there is nothing, legally, that can be done to improve on that, at this point. (Even HGH won't improve your height very much.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast