Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jared Allen in Phoenix but not for SuperBowl festivities

Default Jared Allen in Phoenix but not for SuperBowl festivities

Outdoors with KC's Jared Allen

Margie Anderson
    Special for The Republic
    Jan. 31, 2008 03:17 AM
    Could there be a downside to being one of the better defensive ends in the NFL?

Kansas City Chiefs standout Jared Allen will be in Hawaii next week to play in the Pro Bowl. He is the first Chiefs defensive player to be selected to the game in five seasons. Allen, 6 feet 6, 270 pounds, had 15 1/2 sacks this season, with 64 tackles in 14 games this season.

The 25-year-old out of Idaho State has been dominant, with 43 sacks in his four NFL seasons.

Now, where's the downside?

Allen misses out on a lot of the hunting he loves because football keeps him busy during hunting season.

So he was more than pleased to share his passion for the outdoors last week on a fishing trip at Bartlett Lake.

His lifelong love

Growing up in Northern California, Allen spent a lot of time at lakes with his family, fishing for largemouth bass.

"We used to go to a big lagoon near Eureka when I was a kid," Allen said. "Mom would cook breakfast over a fire, and we'd spend the morning catching bass."

Although he fell in love with football at age 8, he never has lost his love of the outdoors.

His bird dog lives with a buddy in Missouri, and Allen loves going after Nebraska pheasants whenever he gets the chance. He managed to bag a couple of whitetail deer in Kansas and Missouri last year and is enjoying the 150 pounds of venison they yielded.

"I was really happy to get those deer," Allen said, "because you never know - if you got a deer every time you went hunting, they'd call it killing, not hunting."

Allen has had a home in Scottsdale for two years, and he loves it here. He lives in Arizona from January to July, and he's up for a fishing trip whenever he gets the chance.

"Every time I go fishing, everybody catches their limit but me," he said.

In spite of that, he braved the cold and wind to try his luck at Bartlett Lake and found out that the bass would take a bright crankbait fished right up on shore. The high, muddy water rendered the more natural baits almost invisible.

DH and rbedgood if you see Jared get an autograph for me!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    DH and rbedgood if you see Jared get an autograph for me!
    It's funny you say that. Ididn't get an autograph but I am at that particular lake about twice or three times a week. Don't know if I happened to be there on the day he was. It's been cold for this neck of the woods.

Wasting time fishing at some stupid lake! Tell me where in the world is his team dedication and priorities? :p :rolleyes:

I hope he wasn't drinkin and boating!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    No doubt!

It is the number one cause of boating fatalities!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Wasting time fishing at some stupid lake! Tell me where in the world is his team dedication and priorities? :p :rolleyes:
    c'mon chiefster..a guy has to recreate in some fashion. this is much better than going to the bar and such!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    c'mon chiefster..a guy has to recreate in some fashion. this is much better than going to the bar and such!!
    There is nothing wrong with going to the bar(they have delicious stuff there called beer), the problems arise when he tries to drive his own drunk sorry *** home!

I hope he doesn't drink and hunt also!!, but if he hunt pheasants here in Nebraska, I could be his hunting guide and drink for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast