Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardcore player evaluation.

Default Hardcore player evaluation.

How bout a little group fun?

If this team is REALLY gonna take a couple years and "major reconstructive surgery" over that span to become a contender again, who should be on and stay on this team? Who will be too old when we are good? Who could we trade now to bring more draft picks?

Here's some fun to get started that will surely get some feathers ruffled.

Trade Tony Gonzales: He's been the ultimate Chief and it's a shame Peterson couldn't get him a ring. The best way he can do that now is to trade him to a contender for a #1 pick or a young, good player.

Trade Jared Allen: Negotiate a sign and trade with Allen. Tell him to list 10 teams he would accept a trade to and get the best possible bounty you can for arguably the best pass rusher in league. Perhaps a first rounder and more.

Trade Larry Johnson: Get ANYTHING you can for him. Huge contract with big questions after an injury laden 2007. This one may be best to move next season.

I think those 3 players, the best the Chiefs have to offer in the prime of their careers would bring huge bounty to help with the rebuilding. Bringing in a bunch of first rounders and more young players may require just one more "rebuilding year.

So, who else should stay and who else should go?

That would be a huge risk and could possibly ruin the team for a few years, but it could very well work in the long run. I would def not want them to get rid of Larry Johnson because he as 8-10 years left in him if he chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by cparks08 View Post
    That would be a huge risk and could possibly ruin the team for a few years, but it could very well work in the long run. I would def not want them to get rid of Larry Johnson because he as 8-10 years left in him if he chooses.
    Larry would be the first on that list to go. No way does he have 8-10 good years in him. And I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to let Tony G play for any team but the Chiefs. And Jared Allen is out best defensive player. You are just making more holes in the team to fix. We want a great Defense...keep the great defensive players. You want to score points...keep the playmakers. Use the draft picks we have now wisely and don't drop all the talent you have on the team.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

No way do I agree with any of that. As much as they could bring lets not be the royals of football please. Just because they are 1st rounders means nothing. We need to find our core guys and build around them. I think you just named a few core guys. LJ had a good line for one year and after that it went to crap in a hurry. Give it back to him and he will be back. Even herm does not say things that sound that dumb...ok well maybe he does.

No

No

Yes

In that order.

Tony deserves to retire a Chief and still has gas left in the tank.

Jared Allen??? Tell me your joking.

Larry Johnson - meh.

...Not a player but Herm Should go and we should offer his job to Al Saunders.

Al Saunders for coach! Job starts yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazeye View Post
    Al Saunders for coach! Job starts yesterday!
    ...Wished it would have started two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    No

No

Yes

In that order.

Tony deserves to retire a Chief and still has gas left in the tank.

Jared Allen??? Tell me your joking.

Larry Johnson - meh.

...Not a player but Herm Should go and we should offer his job to Al Saunders.
    While I wouldn't blame ANY of them for wanting to be traded at this point, I agree with ya Chiefster!

I think T.G. still has 5 years left in the tank!

He has changed his diet and is the perennial all star!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    While I wouldn't blame ANY of them for wanting to be traded at this point, I agree with ya Chiefster!

I think T.G. still has 5 years left in the tank!

He has changed his diet and is the perennial all star!
    I couldn't agree more. I DO think Tony has gas left in the tank. That's part of the reason why it would be advantageous for the Chiefs to trade him. Give him a chance to win a ring now. By the time the Chiefs are ready to compete for a title, he'll be in the twilight of his career. I'm thinking only on behalf of the Chiefs organization. I honestly don't care if he finishes his career with another team. He would go into the hall as a Chief. Even if we have to sign him to a one day contract. He is worth more as a trade chip than a player at this point.

I'd say trade Gonzo and try out Wilson or Michael Allan. Allan really impressed me during the preseason. Wilson was drafted as TG's successor in the first place.

I'm more on the fence about Jared Allen. He OBVIOUSLY doesn't want to be here and he's made it known that the only reason he isn't causing more waves is because of Herm. He really likes the coaching staff and doesn't want to cause a rift. He IS one of the best, if not THE best pass rusher in the game. So, that works both ways for the Chiefs.

If you keep him, great. You've got a perennial Pro Bowler for the next, what, 7 or 8 years? Or, you could trade him for multiple players and or draft picks to help fill more holes on the team than you're creating by trading him. Trading players like these doesn't "create more holes." That's just plain wrong. By bringing in high draft picks (plural) and or good young players (plural), you would be filling more than ONE hole. Thus, doing more good than harm.

Here's what you could do if you traded Allen. Bring in another 1st rounder from whoever. Miami wouldn't be a bad place to start since they will probably be looking defense at that #1 pick anyway. It doesn't really matter who you trade Allen to. But take your first pick and draft "the other Long," DE out of Virginia (Howie Long's son) then take your next pick and draft the O-lineman we so desperately need. Jake Long won't be there at #5 and no other OT is worth taking that high up. If our 2nd pick is still #5, trade down and pick up more picks. Preferably in the 2nd and 3rd rds to improve the O-line.

As far as LJ goes, personally, i think Kolby is the future at Tailback for the Chiefs. While i don't think he's nearly as good as LJ was, we don't exactly know what the problem with LJ is. So, i would test the interest in him. It won't be high though. Big contract, big injury doesn't equal big booty.

But if we were able to trade TG for a late 1st round pick and perhaps a 3rd, then trade JA for a 1st, 2nd and 4th, then add those picks to the #5 pick in each round plus the 3 extra picks we've accumulated, we could be looking at a BUNCH of high draft picks. 3 first rounders 2 second rounders 2 third rounders along with 6 or 7 more picks in the later rounds will go a LONG way in filling the one or two holes you created. I'm sure with THAT many picks, you can find SOME way to compensate for TG and JA's loss.

After drafting 14 guys this season and then around 7 more next season, 2009 could be looking VERY GOOD. Football prospects don't take 6, 7, or 8 years to reach the big leagues. You can't compare the Chiefs to the Royals. Rookies react completely different to each sport.

Given their track record, this coaching staff won't miss on too many draft picks. Presently, they have 10 of 14 picks making major contributions to this team. That's a 71% hit rate. If we could have that same success rate in 2009 as we have right now, we'd be looking at close to 22 new starters over a 4 year span with at least 3 more behind those starters pushing for playing time....i'd say that's a pretty successful rebuilding job.

Not to mention, if we were able to unload TG, JA, and LJ, while also unloading Priest Holmes, that would clear up A LOT of cap room and would allow the upper management the flexibility to go out and get a few of the younger elite players on the market that could help with the rebuild.

I don't trust the management, and coaches to make the right decisions, texaschief.

Herm is doing it all wrong as it is now.

Build around the teams strengths rather than hoping you get something for getting rid of them makes no sense to me.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast