Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Gailey hired.

Default Gailey hired.

Chiefs hire Gailey as offensive coordinator
    By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Chan Gailey was hired today as the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator.

Gailey, 56, is a veteran coordinator, having served in that capacity in the NFL with Denver, Pittsburgh and Miami. He also has been head coach for the Cowboys and Birmingham in the World League and in college for Troy State, Samford and Georgia Tech. He was fired this past fall after six seasons at Georgia Tech.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was immediately unavailable for comment.

Other candidates for the position included UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price, former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula.

Gailey will replace Mike Solari, who was fired after the Chiefs had one of their worst offensive seasons in team history. __________________

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/447546.html
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    dude....you need to read money ball. this is what the A's do every 6 or 7 years. That's why they are ALWAYS competitive. They trade away their top players for huge prospects coming back. They trade away one player and bring back like 7 top prospects in return. They will go thru a couple tough seasons, but then they'll explode with a bunch of talent no one has ever heard of while maintaining one of the lowest payrolls in the league.

That's what the Marlins do as well. The Rangers have just done this to an extent when they traded Teixiera for the Braves' 5 top prospects. Jon Daniels took a Ranger's system with one of the worst farm systems in the league and turned it into #4 according to Baseball America.

This system of trading away top talent today for more top talent tomorrow really DOES work. It's even worked in the NFL. How do you think Jimmy Johnson built the 1990's Cowboys? Remember the Hershall Walker trade? ...lol...i don't. I was in 2nd grade. But i've read about it.
    I've read Moneyball, I grew up in Fremont (where the A's are building their new stadium)...however I think the Kotsay move as well as some of the other ones Beane has made this offseason are mistakes, and will backfire. Personal opinion...that is all.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    dude....you need to read money ball. this is what the A's do every 6 or 7 years. That's why they are ALWAYS competitive. They trade away their top players for huge prospects coming back. They trade away one player and bring back like 7 top prospects in return. They will go thru a couple tough seasons, but then they'll explode with a bunch of talent no one has ever heard of while maintaining one of the lowest payrolls in the league.

That's what the Marlins do as well. The Rangers have just done this to an extent when they traded Teixiera for the Braves' 5 top prospects. Jon Daniels took a Ranger's system with one of the worst farm systems in the league and turned it into #4 according to Baseball America.

This system of trading away top talent today for more top talent tomorrow really DOES work. It's even worked in the NFL. How do you think Jimmy Johnson built the 1990's Cowboys? Remember the Hershall Walker trade? ...lol...i don't. I was in 2nd grade. But i've read about it.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    DIE BIRD

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I would say that you make Jared Allen happy to be here, because his ability is something that is eternally rare in the NFL, and it is one that is essential to building a top-flight defense. He is the guy that you can center your defensive building around.

As for Tony Gonzales, it would be difficult to let him leave, because he truly is the one, single, offensive player on the Chiefs who we can can count on. He has been incredibly consistent and healthy for his entire career.

Also, I don't know that there would be anyone willing to give fair value in trade for a TE who is "playing the back nine". No matter how well he is playing that back nine, it would be a risk to make a big deal for someone who plays such a physical position, at his age.

Having said that, I wouldn't rule-out the option of listening to trade offers.

L.J.? I think texaschief and I have always agreed on this subject. It would have been monumentally insightful to have traded him during last offseason, and now his value has diminished greatly. Due to a huge contract, recent mystery injury, and lack of recent production.

But, if we could unload him, I would be more than willing to try and work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    ...I misread your intentions, and although I can understand your viewpoint I will respectfully diagree on the sentiment.

First of all, although all three players may end up happier on a winning team, a number of questions arise from this theory.

First of all if you trade LJ, what can you get? Can you even trade him with his salary as it is structured? He doesn't strike me as a guy to take a pay cut (restructured deal) Valid point. Since his resigning, i've tried to think of any way immaginable to trade this guy...then he got hurt. Now it's nearly impossible to trade him this season and a trade with LJ would probably have to wait till next season.

Secondly, how do you get even value for a guy like Jared Allen? The reason you don't see trades for blockbuster players very often is they're hard to complete. Also very true. But who knows. There could be a team out there looking to trade for him. I think Miami would give their first pick for a proven DE instead of gambling with that pick while also giving up a couple later round picks in the process.

Finally the only way you can trade Tony Gonzalez is if he comes out and says, "I want to go, I want to play somewhere else where I can win". Otherwise the backlash from fans, teammates, and the inability to attract free agents (by trading him you're stating we can't win in the near future) is very difficult to overcome.He hasn't said it publically. But i'm sure something has been said. He's one of the loudest grumblers in the locker room.

Trust me, especially on that last point...I've watched my team suffer the consequences.
    Trading away top talent isn't a new concept.

I actually like this hire. He's had success as an offensive coordinator and Cowher had good things to say about him. Supposedly he's good at game planning and teaching young players. The jury is still out at this point, but I think this is a good hire based on what we know so far. Hopefully we can get him a decent O Line to work with.

for me, for now....Chan's the man!!

I am upset with the decision to not bother talking to Cameron, but I am not going to attack this guy yet.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789