Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Back off Herm Haters!

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,953
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 27

    Default Back off Herm Haters!


    0 Not allowed!
    So this has been bugging me for awhile. And I'm sure I am going to speared for this thread. But here goes.

    If you had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, why in the heck would you try to run a passing offense? Especially with a rookie QB? It just doesn't make sense.

    One of the major reasons that Herm was trying to run the ball this year, especially early on, was because our best every down threat was Larry Johnson. If you put a rookie QB in a pass happy offense behind a line that can't pass block, what good can possibly come of it?

    Besides the fact, that he is trying to help give the defense some confidence. Our defense would have finished last in the league if Herm would have tried to pass as often as most people on these boards would have liked. The defense would have been on the field constantly.

    Oh by the way.....It isn't like we have a boatload of prolific receivers to throw the ball to. A rookie WR is our best WR threat. When your best passing threat is a TE, you better be able to run the ball.

    I'm not Herm Edwards' #1 fan for other reasons. But, I think he is taking far too much negative criticism because of the situation he was put in. The O-line has been neglected for years while the Dick Vermiel era tried to make a run at a championship.

    All I'm saying is that if I were a head coach that inherited a team that had a poor offensive line, a rookie QB, poor WR's, a struggling defense, and my best offensive threat was a LJ.......Well then, I'd be running the damn ball too.


  2. #2
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,330
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    So this has been bugging me for awhile. And I'm sure I am going to speared for this thread. But here goes.

    If you had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, why in the heck would you try to run a passing offense? Especially with a rookie QB? It just doesn't make sense.

    One of the major reasons that Herm was trying to run the ball this year, especially early on, was because our best every down threat was Larry Johnson. If you put a rookie QB in a pass happy offense behind a line that can't pass block, what good can possibly come of it?

    Besides the fact, that he is trying to help give the defense some confidence. Our defense would have finished last in the league if Herm would have tried to pass as often as most people on these boards would have liked. The defense would have been on the field constantly.

    Oh by the way.....It isn't like we have a boatload of prolific receivers to throw the ball to. A rookie WR is our best WR threat. When your best passing threat is a TE, you better be able to run the ball.

    I'm not Herm Edwards' #1 fan for other reasons. But, I think he is taking far too much negative criticism because of the situation he was put in. The O-line has been neglected for years while the Dick Vermiel era tried to make a run at a championship.

    All I'm saying is that if I were a head coach that inherited a team that had a poor offensive line, a rookie QB, poor WR's, a struggling defense, and my best offensive threat was a LJ.......Well then, I'd be running the damn ball too.
    Like I have said earlier, I don't mind running the ball and you make some valid points, but my problem was in the running EVERY single first down we had. I am not saying go pass happy, but why can't you throw 1/3 of the time on first down to keep opposing defenses honest. If LJ is the best offensive threat, then why hamstring him by telling the defense that you are gong to give him the ball on every first down? That is where I believe that Herm does deserve to take some heat. He is the focal point of a lot of angry fans, but that is why he gets paid.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,953
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Like I have said earlier, I don't mind running the ball and you make some valid points, but my problem was in the running EVERY single first down we had. I am not saying go pass happy, but why can't you throw 1/3 of the time on first down to keep opposing defenses honest. If LJ is the best offensive threat, then why hamstring him by telling the defense that you are gong to give him the ball on every first down? That is where I believe that Herm does deserve to take some heat. He is the focal point of a lot of angry fans, but that is why he gets paid.
    Agreed that Herm shares some responsibility since he is the head coach.

    But did Herm decide what play was being called in to the QB on 1st down, or did Mike Solari?


  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    My issues was not the amount of passes Herm (Solari, whoever) was calling, it was the predictability of his running game.

    Our O line wasn't any better at rush blocking than it was at pass blocking, so I don't see how that argument stands up.

    I disagree that Larry was our best every down threat since the opposing D's were stacking 8 or 9 men in the box.

    Since Carl kept saying we are not rebuilding (liar) that is why Herm probably had to start Huard.

    We were rebuilding (as they are saying now since the season was so horrible) so Brody should have been starting from day one.

    It is Herms offensive philosophy that keeps getting offensive players hurt. It happened in NY and it is happening here in KC.

    Granted, Green was stupid last year (and this year in Miami) for trying to do too much and that got him injured.

    Out TE is a HUGE threat and had another pro bowl season, getting as many yards as a lot of the leading wide receivers in the league.

    I was not as impressed as some people about our D line picks last year, and still think we should have invested in O lineman, but Herm doesn't care about the O.

    There's not really much reason to ***** about Herm at this point anyway.

    I am waiting to see what we do during the draft before I yell about Herms sorry a$$ anymore.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,330
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Agreed that Herm shares some responsibility since he is the head coach.

    But did Herm decide what play was being called in to the QB on 1st down, or did Mike Solari?
    The Head Coach could tell him not to run every first down couldn't he? Even if it is Solari's call, Herm shoulda said "Hey Dumbass....mix it up on first down" but he sat on the sidelines smilin away.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ALASKA
    Posts
    3,068
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    "I disagree that Larry was our best every down threat since the opposing D's were stacking 8 or 9 men in the box." dude!????


  7. #7
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,330
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    "I disagree that Larry was our best every down threat since the opposing D's were stacking 8 or 9 men in the box." dude!????
    Maybe it woulda helped if they threw the damned ball on first down once in a while!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Posts
    1,763
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Herm and Carl decided that the line they had put together would be good enough to make a playoff push. He did chose to sign MacIntosh to a 8 million dollar contract as well as sign Kyle Turley. You can blame it on the Vermeil years and their lack of development, but we are where we are. Herm is famous for saying you play to win the game and then says we just want to keep it close going into the fourth quarter so that we MAY have a chance to win, hypocrisy at it's finest. He also new the state of the line before this year, he may have thought Shields was coming back and that's why he didn't address the line. Like I said two Hall of Fame linemen retired through the press not by having a chat with the coach, that a lone speaks volumes to the character of Herm.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    "I disagree that Larry was our best every down threat since the opposing D's were stacking 8 or 9 men in the box." dude!????
    Since I wasn't able to record the first 7 games I don't visual evidence, but I seem to recall him getting stuffed in the backfield on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs in the backfield.

    Because of the lack of creativity in play calling I think he only had 1 or 2 100 yard games during that span.

    What are you disagreeing with?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,953
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    it was the predictability of his running game.
    But I think that is why Solari got rightfully fired.

    Our O line wasn't any better at rush blocking than it was at pass blocking, so I don't see how that argument stands up.
    It makes a huge difference if you would like to keep your rookie QB from ending the year on the IR and destroying any confidence they may have.

    I disagree that Larry was our best every down threat since the opposing D's were stacking 8 or 9 men in the box.
    Who was a better every down threat? Are we really going to throw to Gonzo every play? It seemed that way some games.

    We were rebuilding (as they are saying now since the season was so horrible) so Brody should have been starting from day one.
    Agreed, although I was personally in the camp that wanted to see if Huard was the real thing after last season when we was unstoppable.

    It is Herms offensive philosophy that keeps getting offensive players hurt. It happened in NY and it is happening here in KC.
    Not sure, I understand this. Please explain.


    Out TE is a HUGE threat and had another pro bowl season, getting as many yards as a lot of the leading wide receivers in the league.
    Yes he's good.

    I was not as impressed as some people about our D line picks last year, and still think we should have invested in O lineman, but Herm doesn't care about the O.
    I thought last year's draft was better than the previous drafts we have had the last few years. I thought the D line picks worked out OK. Just my opinion. I would have liked to seen the Chiefs work on the O-line, but they needed a WR and they got a good one. I don't know many good o-lineman that were taken late in the draft.

    There's not really much reason to ***** about Herm at this point anyway.
    Agreed. He isn't going anywhere for at least another year.


Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •