Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts on Jared Allen Staying

Default My Thoughts on Jared Allen Staying

I just wanted to Post here and Say I know Jared Allen has a bad rap off the field with his Stupid DUI 's . I really hope If he stays he doesnt come on to the field to Boos every game because he wants more money . I think out of everyone on that defense, he was the most productive. Also He played with passion for the game when he was on the field . He probably has a jerkoff agent who is doing most of the speaking on his behalf . Making him look like a schmuck to the Chiefs fans. I think he deserves a pay raise because he brings it to the field every game . His actions on the field warrant the extra cash. Off the Field I would have to say he needs to have a stipulation in his contract that he gets some type of help with his addiction to Alcohol . I call it an addiction because its definately affecting his personal life and his careeer. I really hope we keep him . Somehow I feel more at ease with him in the game . He is definately a huge factor on how well our defense plays . Also I would like to see Tamba Hali have a breakout season this year .... Thanks for listing to my point of view !

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Allen would be pushing for more money, because he was still under his rookie contract. Low figures there. I agree, that when you sign a contract, you should honor it. However, it has become commonplace, in the league, to threaten sitting out, when you are exceding expectations.
    It is very hard to expect one group (the players) to honor the contract over the full term, when they know from history that the other party (the owners) will terminate the contract at will.

What needs to happen is that contract terms need to be guaranteed. (deja vu, I think I've said this before), and the owners would then only offer contracts that are reasonable. Then there needs to be an arbitration system (similar to the one in baseball) where younger players that are outperforming their contract can get a raise without holding out and hurting themselves and their teams.

This is too much common sense (Chiefster's next response) and it likely won't happen...but to expect a player to fulfill a contract that isn't worth the paper its written on to the owner, is an unjust expectation.

In an arbitration system, LJ would've gone to arbritation in Feb/Mar, gotten his contract in April and participated in 100% of the offseason program and all of training camp.

It wouldn't fix the Bowe issue, or JaMarcus Russell, but veteran holdouts would become virtually non-existent.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    It is very hard to expect one group (the players) to honor the contract over the full term, when they know from history that the other party (the owners) will terminate the contract at will.

What needs to happen is that contract terms need to be guaranteed. (deja vu, I think I've said this before), and the owners would then only offer contracts that are reasonable. Then there needs to be an arbitration system (similar to the one in baseball) where younger players that are outperforming their contract can get a raise without holding out and hurting themselves and their teams.

This is too much common sense (Chiefster's next response) and it likely won't happen...but to expect a player to fulfill a contract that isn't worth the paper its written on to the owner, is an unjust expectation.

In an arbitration system, LJ would've gone to arbritation in Feb/Mar, gotten his contract in April and participated in 100% of the offseason program and all of training camp.

It wouldn't fix the Bowe issue, or JaMarcus Russell, but veteran holdouts would become virtually non-existent.

It's a business. Period. It cannot be a one-way street. The business has to be good going both ways.

How many years of contracts were left on the Chiefs players cut this week? I haven't read one post stating "The Chiefs need to stop whining and honor the commitment they made."

Why did they not hesitate to cut in the middle of a contract? It made good business sense. Why did LJ hold out? It made good business sense. Why is Allen trying to re-do his contract now? It makes good business sense.

These posts have been going on a lot and they are usually followed by averaging out the amount of $ someone makes a play and complaining how wrong that is.

Guess what? That's capitalism and every time we go to a game / buy a shirt / watch an ad during an NFL broadcast, we vote with our dollars that it is RIGHT.

If we don't think any pro-football player is worth $20 million, then we can all do something about it. It's simple. I did it for two years: stop watching professional sports. Just watch college. Let's give our $ to the other professions that always come up as getting short-changed (teachers are a good one). We would all agree teachers should make more. Let's take the $100 - $1000 we'll spend this year and donate it to them.

But we don't. Why? We like the product. Or better yet, we "demand" the product. Supply is limited, prices go up. Do you know who really makes the $? The Hunts. They pay these salaries every year. Think they are upset with the prices? Hell no. They can afford it. It's an investment and they are getting a nice return on it. How else do you put in $125 million on a stadium renovation? Just their way of saying thanks for the $ and being nice, right? Wrong. It's an investment. And they will get that back too.

I think anyone who doesn't like contract hold-outs & big salaries should follow a business where that has been removed (like college football).

Otherwise, let's keep sending them our money, drinking the beer they advertise, and enjoying the product that each of us has helped to build with our support. But if we go this route, let's not complain about it....

Ahhhhhhhhh. The soapbox is now free again. I have thick skin, so no need to hold back in the replies...
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post

It's a business. Period. It cannot be a one-way street. The business has to be good going both ways.

How many years of contracts were left on the Chiefs players cut this week? I haven't read one post stating "The Chiefs need to stop whining and honor the commitment they made."

Why did they not hesitate to cut in the middle of a contract? It made good business sense. Why did LJ hold out? It made good business sense. Why is Allen trying to re-do his contract now? It makes good business sense.

These posts have been going on a lot and they are usually followed by averaging out the amount of $ someone makes a play and complaining how wrong that is.

Guess what? That's capitalism and every time we go to a game / buy a shirt / watch an ad during an NFL broadcast, we vote with our dollars that it is RIGHT.

If we don't think any pro-football player is worth $20 million, then we can all do something about it. It's simple. I did it for two years: stop watching professional sports. Just watch college. Let's give our $ to the other professions that always come up as getting short-changed (teachers are a good one). We would all agree teachers should make more. Let's take the $100 - $1000 we'll spend this year and donate it to them.

But we don't. Why? We like the product. Or better yet, we "demand" the product. Supply is limited, prices go up. Do you know who really makes the $? The Hunts. They pay these salaries every year. Think they are upset with the prices? Hell no. They can afford it. It's an investment and they are getting a nice return on it. How else do you put in $125 million on a stadium renovation? Just their way of saying thanks for the $ and being nice, right? Wrong. It's an investment. And they will get that back too.

I think anyone who doesn't like contract hold-outs & big salaries should follow a business where that has been removed (like college football).

Otherwise, let's keep sending them our money, drinking the beer they advertise, and enjoying the product that each of us has helped to build with our support. But if we go this route, let's not complain about it....

Ahhhhhhhhh. The soapbox is now free again. I have thick skin, so no need to hold back in the replies...
    I agree completely...as the system is currently set the owners do what makes sense for business and so do the players.

My point was if the expectation is for players to fulfill the terms of the contract the same expectation should be on the owners. My suggestion of implementing arbitration of some kind was just an idea of how to alleviate the issue of hold-outs...another factor is guaranteed contracts would likely actually drive down the value of contracts slightly as owners would be more reticent to sign big $$ contracts for longterm if they had to pay them out. However players would benefit as the terms of their contracts would be guaranteed.

It likely won't happen as the entire salary cap system would have to be restructured, and with everyone (players and owners) making money, the incentive to change the system is low.

I'm just a fan with an opinion. I'm used to getting flamed on message boards.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

I agree completely...as the system is currently set the owners do what makes sense for business and so do the players.

My point was if the expectation is for players to fulfill the terms of the contract the same expectation should be on the owners. My suggestion of implementing arbitration of some kind was just an idea of how to alleviate the issue of hold-outs...another factor is guaranteed contracts would likely actually drive down the value of contracts slightly as owners would be more reticent to sign big $$ contracts for longterm if they had to pay them out. However players would benefit as the terms of their contracts would be guaranteed.

It likely won't happen as the entire salary cap system would have to be restructured, and with everyone (players and owners) making money, the incentive to change the system is low.

I'm just a fan with an opinion. I'm used to getting flamed on message boards.

The intent was not to flame you - I think we are on the same page. Just keep it fair between the millionaires (the owners & the players). They'll all make their $ - it just might be distributed a little different among the players...
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

I didn't take it as a flame...we essentially agree in principle on the major issues. We may see different ways to solve them, but in the end we've both put some thought into our positions. Good stuff.

Yeah, good posts guys. Really well though-out opinions and you both presented them well.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I'm in a union myself so I can see where disputes develop over money,bennies or whatever, but when we agree to a contract you have no choice on what else you want until that contract is fufilled and good luck getting it then. But I dont make millions of $ either so it seems selfish to me to holdout, now I understand that a players career could be over at any minute and I agree that they should be compensated fairly but in doing so you better straighten up and fly right. I mean polease,
    you make MILLIONS, HIRE A DAMN DRIVER. There is no excuse for that.I like Allen, he's got potential to be one of the greats I just hope he keeps his nose clean.Just my humble opinion.
    The Ozarks is Chiefs Country

Quote Originally Posted by swmochiefsfan View Post
    I'm in a union myself so I can see where disputes develop over money,bennies or whatever, but when we agree to a contract you have no choice on what else you want until that contract is fufilled and good luck getting it then. But I dont make millions of $ either so it seems selfish to me to holdout, now I understand that a players career could be over at any minute and I agree that they should be compensated fairly but in doing so you better straighten up and fly right. I mean polease,
    you make MILLIONS, HIRE A DAMN DRIVER. There is no excuse for that.I like Allen, he's got potential to be one of the greats I just hope he keeps his nose clean.Just my humble opinion.
    This is true, but your employer is also bound to fulfill the contract...this is where the player's contracts differ completely from yours.

This is true, but your employer is also bound to fulfill the contract...this is where the player's contracts differ completely from yours.
    Actually not so much my company has the right to pretty much well do whatever the hell they want, when they want. Got a pretty crappy contract last time and this aint gonna be no better.
    The Ozarks is Chiefs Country

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post

ahhhhh- yEAH yOU HEARD HIM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast