Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warpaint chiefs mock draft...

Default warpaint chiefs mock draft...

By Nick Athan

1. DT Sedrick Ellis (USC)

He's not as big as LSUs Glenn Dorsey but splits the center and guard better than any interior defensive lineman in the last several years. His size is a concern, but he's not going to be the next Ryan Sims. Ellis came to the Senior Bowl knowing he was a top seven draft pick no matter what. He's a winner, and if the Chiefs pick him and can get Tank Tyler to play at a high level, the defensive line will be outstanding. Ellis was the most impressive defender at the Senior Bowl and someone who has a motor similar to Jared Allen’s.

2. LT Carl Nicks (Nebraska)

Solid fundamentals and showed impressive hands in Mobile. He always kept them inside the shoulder pads and was strong enough to take on the best pass rushers at the Senior Bowl. A St. Louis Rams scout said Nicks is one of the premier tackles in this class. The knock is his learning speed, but with good coaching (and the Chiefs have that now) he could be the perfect fit in Kansas City at left tackle. The last Cornhusker the Chiefs drafted to play offensive line turned out to be pretty good, too (Will Shields).

3. WR Jordy Nelson (Kansas State)

The disciplined hands he showed at the Senior Bowl were amazing. Nelson was always ready to catch the ball and was constantly moving forward with his hands in front of him. That's no easy trick. He was the best wide receiver in practice at the Senior Bowl and might be the next Wes Welker. He could start for the Chiefs opposite Dwayne Bowe next season.

Nelson’s also a great kid who will be a coach’s dream – his work ethic is second to none and he never takes a play off. Eric Price could really make something of him. His speed is suspect, but he separated from most if not all of the cornerbacks at the Senior Bowl, and he found the end zone. Most NFL analysts believe Nelson is a fourth rounder, but I’d be shocked if he gets out the third. He’s a winner and KC’s scouts really love him. Nelson can also return punts and kicks.

4. CB Chevis Jackson (LSU)

The secondary is a big concern for the Chiefs. It’s not a sure thing that Jackson will fall this far, but if he does he'd probably be a lock to selected by Kansas City. He made plays in college while showing the ability to take chances and be aggressive with his exciting athleticism.

Ultimately though it’s the development Jackson made under Bo Pellini, his defensive coordinator, that makes him so appealing. The LSU defense swarmed people last year and Jackson was right in the mix. He’d be a steal in the top of the fourth round.

5A. (from Miami) OG Heath Benedict (Newberry College)

This Division II player was impressive during Senior Bowl workouts. He's fiery and one of the few guys who slowed down Sedrick Ellis. Benedict also got into an altercation, showing he wasn't going to back down from anyone. If the Chiefs land guard Ryan Lilja in free agency, and move Brian Waters to center, Benedict becomes an option to develop into a starter. He didn’t play for a big school and may be a reach with the first pick of the fifth round, but I think he's worth it.

5B. CB Patrick Lee (Auburn)

He's blazing quick and learned late in his senior season he has the ability to get to the ball. Lee closes well, supports the run and has a knack for picking off passes. He had four interceptions in his last five games at Auburn. Lee is the perfect Cover 2 cornerback and someone Gunther Cunningham could count on to be in the right place at the right time. I could see Lee and Jackson starting as rookies.

6A. OT Barry Richardson (Clemson)

Scouts are excited over Richardson because he’s 6-foot-7 and has excellent feet, but needs to keep his hands inside in pass protection. He might be an option as a right tackle for the Chiefs if he sat behind Damion McIntosh for a year or two. Kansas City spent some time with him this week.

6B. (from Tampa Bay) WR Maurice Purify (Nebraska)

Another player with talent who needs motivation. Purify was one of the better wide receivers in the Big 12 but he's sliding down most boards at the moment. Missouri wide receiver William Franklin is rated higher, but Purify has more NFL potential. He'll need to be lights out at the combine, but he ate up some talented corners as a senior, including Aqib Talib. If the Chiefs take Jordy Nelson, Purify could be the number three option, moving Jeff Webb to fourth, giving Kansas City a young, talented receiving corps. When was the last time that happened?

7A. RB Justin Forsett (California)

He's small, but was outstanding at the Senior Bowl. Forsett can run and catch and brings a load, plus he returns kicks. He’s reminiscent of former Wildcat Darren Sproles, but has better instincts as a runner. If he's available this late in the draft the Chiefs could pencil him in as the third back behind Larry Johnson and Kolby Smith.

Few offensive players were more fun to watch at the Senior Bowl, and Forsett knows he’s a long shot but will work to get on an NFL roster. He's the kind of player KC’s scouts are looking for and they took note of him this week.

7B. (from Tampa Bay) QB Kyle Wright (Miami)

He was injured last season but the Chiefs want to add another young quarterback to the mix. If Chad Pennington isn’t brought in, Kansas City could take a chance on Wright. Delaware QB Joe Flacco might be a more lucrative option, but he’ll be long gone by this time and the Chiefs might not want to go after him at the top of the third or fourth round. At this point Wright will be the best quarterback on the board, and that includes Hawaii’s Colt Brennan, who might be the most overhyped QB of all time.

I don't like this Mock at all. Here's my rebuttal.

While I'd love to take a DT if his name were Dorsey, I just think trading down would be the best option if J. Long isn't available. With a later first round pick and an additional 2nd and 5th, we could address more needs.

With the first round pick we take Clady, Otah, or Baker.

With our first pick in the second round, I'd like to see us take Justin King, CB from Penn St. or Kentwan Balmer, DT from NC.

With the our 2nd pick in the 2nd round I'd like to see us take Brandon Flowers, CB from VT.

With our pick in the 3rd round i can't see us taking Nelson that high. I think we should go Roy Shuening, OG from Oregon St. or Branden Alber, OG from UV.

In the 4th round, if Nelson is still there, which, as Athan says, the consensus around the league seems to be that he WILL be, then you take him. But taking a Nelson with the #68 pick seems to be a reach for this guy. If he isn't available at #100, i could see a Mike Hart RB Mich, Joe Flacco QB Delaware, Barry Richardson OT Clemson, or DeMario Pressley DT NCST.

With the first pick in the 5th I'd like to see Jermichael Finley TE UT. If he is still on the board at ANY time in the 5th round, i think it's a no brainer to pick this guy up. Especially if we lose Dunn and Wilson off the roster. Perhaps even with our 4th round pick.

With the 2nd pick in the 5th, Heath Benedict sounds good to me. I'd love to see more and more picks go to the line.

With the 3rd pick in the 5th, Taylor Mehlhaff K UW. After a horrible misjudgement by Peterson last year, we're still left wanting a kicker and Mehlhaff is the best available this year. If there is talk of him going earlier, we need to take him earlier. The kicking pool is really shallow this season.

With the first pick in the 6th round, i'd take Purify. While Athan has him going as our 2nd pick in the 6th, he WAS correct about his potential. Why wait any longer to pick him up?

With the 2nd pick in the 6th round, I'd like another WR in Patrick Turner WR USC. This guy is a Bowe type body at 6'4 220.

In the 7th, Justin Forsett sounds good to me. with the 2nd pick, i'd take the best athlete. Perhaps the best return man left on the board. Maybe Dexter Jackson from App St.

These opinions vary obviously. After we get past the 4th round, drafting for any position of need would be great.

Moch you!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

what the mock is going on ????

If it was written by Nick Athan it is a complete waste of time.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    If it was written by Nick Athan it is a complete waste of time.
    Yup.

Sounds like texaschief was in disagreement with the article.

Still don't think we need to pick a kicker in the draft, even in the 5th round.

NO MORE KICKERS DRAFTED!!!!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

READ MY LIPS: NO MORE KICKERS DRAFTED!!!!

FYR!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    FYR!
    Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

NO MORE KICKERS DRAFTED!!!!

I'd take a kicker if he could consistently put the kickoff in the end zone and was halfway decent at FG's. I'm sick and tired of the Chiefs oppenents receiving kickoffs at the 10-15 yd line.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'd take a kicker if he could consistently put the kickoff in the end zone and was halfway decent at FG's. I'm sick and tired of the Chiefs oppenents receiving kickoffs at the 10-15 yd line.
    I want a kicker that can put the ball in the endzone too, but not from the draft!

I would even be willing to keep Carney, and get ANOTHER kicker on the roster (I know this will get me yelled at) to kick off.

I too, am sick and tired of the field position on both sides of the kicking game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast