Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Begin Cuts

Default Chiefs Begin Cuts

When the season ended Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards notified several of his players they were not in the plans for 2008. We’ve speculated on those names this offseason and it appears some of those cuts are already taking place.
    The Chiefs released offensive guard John Welbourn Thursday, a move that will save the team $2 million in cap space. Welbourn, who battled a pair of suspensions the last two years, struggled last season after a move from tackle to guard.

Welbourn’s release comes as no surprise because the Chiefs are looking to fill their offensive line holes by pursuing several free agent linemen. Who they sign remains to be seen, but with Kyle Turley announcing his retirement months ago, and the fact center Casey Wiegmann won’t return next year, there’s definitely a need.

The Chiefs know they can’t rely solely on the NFL Draft to fix the offensive line. Two weeks ago Vice President of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich hinted on a national radio show that the team would attempt to address their needs up front via free agency.

A couple of players to watch are Indianapolis Colts guard Ryan Lilja and Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Max Starks. Both fit the mold of ascending players at 26 years of age.

On the other side of the ball, veteran cornerback Ty Law is expected to be released shortly. Law had his moments as a Chief (just ask Peyton Manning), but hit a wall midway through last season.

Law’s 2008 cap number was set at $9.05 million. If he’s cut prior to June 1st the Chiefs will save almost $6 million against the cap this year.

Who his replacement will be is a huge question mark, because the best free agent corners available will ask for huge dollars. Seattle’s Marcus Trufant and the Patriots Asante Samuel will both attempt to breach the $85 million barrier. The Chiefs may have to go after some second-tier players - perhaps Nnamdi Asomugha (Oakland) or Drayton Florence (San Diego).

Chiefs News:

DE Jared Allen - It appears the Chiefs will not use the exclusive franchise tag on Allen, which would restrict his ability to negotiate a long term contract with another team. The Chiefs can then match any offer, and in the event they should decline, will receive 2008 and 2009 first-round picks from the team that signs him. To our knowledge there have been no significant contract talks between Allen’s agent, Ken Harris, and KC’s front office.

CB Benny Sapp - According to our sources its unlikely the Chiefs will retain one of their top backup corners from a year ago. A one-year deal would make sense, but the team appears to have hit a wall with Sapp. Part of the problem was his inability to stay healthy.

LB Keyaron Fox - The fifth-year linebacker told Warpaint Illustrated he plans to test the open market in search of an opportunity to become a starter. Fox would like to remain with the Chiefs, but as an unrestricted free agent wants to explore every option. It’s doubtful he’ll return to Kansas City in 2008.

P Dustin Colquitt - He has yet to receive a new contract offer. Colquitt is looking for a long-term deal, but is expecting the Chiefs will tender him a one-year deal as a precursor to a long-term contract that would be worked out later in the year.

As good as JA is, 2 first round picks would be a very steep price for another team to pay, on top of his contract for him. The market would be very slim. He wouldn't do very well in a 3-4 defense, and the team that would give that much up would have to be a playoff contender before he got there for the trade to make any sense. Seattle could do it, as could Green Bay (if Favre returns), Cincy would be logical, and maybe Jacksonville...other than that most of the teams that make sense either are set for pass rushers (Indy, San Diego, NYG, & Tennessee) or run a 3-4 (Dallas, New England) or they need to keep the first round picks for other needs (Cleveland, Tampa, Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago, Carolina, New Orleans)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Default Eddie Kennison is Gone

I think we all expected this to happen, today they made it official, Kennison was given his walking papers.

I am the kind of guy that would never let an opportunity pass to take a jab at King Carl, I expecially loved this comment:

“For these past seven years Eddie Kennison has displayed his talents not only on the field, but off the field,” Peterson said. “He’s been a fine performer in every way for the Chiefs organization. Both he and his wife, Shimika, have made numerous contributions to the Kansas City community and sought to help a multitude of people. On a personal note, I shall never forget the trip Eddie, myself and Dr. Jon Browne, our team physician, made to the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, DC a summer ago. How gracious Eddie was in spending time with the wounded soldiers and how enthusiastic they were to receive him. It was an uplifting experience and very typical of Eddie. We wish him the best for the future.”

Apparently Carl did not appreciate his performances enough to keep him around another year!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I think we all expected this to happen, today they made it official, Kennison was given his walking papers.

I am the kind of guy that would never let an opportunity pass to take a jab at King Carl, I expecially loved this comment:

“For these past seven years Eddie Kennison has displayed his talents not only on the field, but off the field,” Peterson said. “He’s been a fine performer in every way for the Chiefs organization. Both he and his wife, Shimika, have made numerous contributions to the Kansas City community and sought to help a multitude of people. On a personal note, I shall never forget the trip Eddie, myself and Dr. Jon Browne, our team physician, made to the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, DC a summer ago. How gracious Eddie was in spending time with the wounded soldiers and how enthusiastic they were to receive him. It was an uplifting experience and very typical of Eddie. We wish him the best for the future.”

Apparently Carl did not appreciate his performances enough to keep him around another year!
    Yeah, this comes as no surprise. I can appreciate his contributes to the team, but no longer a spring chicken and has been a number two receiver at best.

Business is business and he really wasnt the guy for the job anymore no matter haw many people liked him. Noone wanted to see Trent go either but life must go on . I wish him the best .

Quote Originally Posted by YZILLA View Post
    Business is business and he really wasnt the guy for the job anymore no matter haw many people liked him. Noone wanted to see Trent go either but life must go on . I wish him the best .
    Yeah Kennison might have been a good guy but he needed a walker to get onto the field. Let's see if the Queen actually fills his spot with a competent receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Yeah, this comes as no surprise. I can appreciate his contributes to the team, but no longer a spring chicken and has been a number two receiver at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by YZILLA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    Yeah Kennison might have been a good guy but he needed a walker to get onto the field. Let's see if the Queen actually fills his spot with a competent receiver.
    I think you guys are missing the funniest part of the quote.

Carl is using Eddie's cause to preen for the media and announce that he, himself went to Walter Reed.

Eddie was gone as soon as Trent's head hit the turf.

We have been spending money on him and Holmes for a couple of years, and now the era is pretty much over.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I think you guys are missing the funniest part of the quote.

Carl is using Eddie's cause to preen for the media and announce that he, himself went to Walter Reed.

Eddie was gone as soon as Trent's head hit the turf.

We have been spending money on him and Holmes for a couple of years, and now the era is pretty much over.
    It isn't that we missed it; it's simply that we chose not to look that deeply into it. :p

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

Pretty much....did you see the offense last year?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Kennson was just like trent green, both excelled in Dickies system. but was average in other systems. to bad he got old and hermmies has a boring offense.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

We have been spending money on him and Holmes for a couple of years, and now the era is pretty much over.[/quote]

Yes, Queen Carl and his Jester Herm will ensure that the era of spending money on quality players is over.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast