Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defensive improvement

Default Defensive improvement

GRETZ: Rating Defense-Part 1

Feb 18, 2008, 2:53:55 AM by Bob Gretz

The Chiefs defense was improved in the 2007 season.
    And, you may not believe how much.

For the fourth straight season we have compiled our post-season ranking of NFL defenses. It’s based on eight important statistical categories, involving everything from touchdowns allowed, sacks and takeaways, to yards given up and specialty units like 3rd down and the red zone.

The Super Bowl runner-up New England Patriots ended up No. 1 in our rankings of NFL defenses for the recently completed regular season.

There was a tie for the second best defense between Green Bay and …
    The Chiefs.

That’s right, the Chiefs came out as one of the three best defenses in the NFL for the ‘07 season. Our defensive rankings show that Gunther Cunningham’s unit finished behind only the Patriots and tied with the Packers when it came to defensive production.

Don’t believe it? Here’s how it works.

The defenses are ranked on their regular season play with eight statistical categories that reflect the overall play of a unit: the league rankings for touchdowns allowed, sacks per passing plays, takeaways, total yards allowed, rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed, third down defense and red zone defense.

Each category has 528 points (1 through 32), for a total of 4,224 points in the rankings. Ties are split by the number of teams with the same total. For instance, two teams tied for 12th in takeaways each get 12.5 points (12 + 13 = 25 ~ 2 = 12.5.) If three teams tied at 20th in third down defense each gets 21 points (20+21+22=63 ~ 3 = 21.)

The lower the point total, the better the defense. In the 2006 season, the top ranked defense was the Baltimore Ravens. In eight categories, they were either first or second in the league in seven, finishing sixth in passing yards allowed. They finished well ahead of New England and Chicago.

This past season, the Patriots finished as the top-ranked defense, finishing in the league’s top 10 in seven of the eight categories. The missed only in red zone defense. Ultimately, their scores of 2-8.5-9.5-4-10-6-4-27 equaled 71 total points in the defensive rankings.

One of the areas where the Chiefs defense excelled was in red zone defense, where they finished second. Even better than that, they were also the NFL’s best third down defense and they were third in sacks and tied for third in touchdowns allowed.

The Chiefs were so good on third down, red zone; sacks and points allowed that they were able to overcome their lack of takeaways and their poor performance in stopping the run.

Overall, the Chiefs scores of 3-3.5-29-13-28-5-1-2 equaled 84.5 points, the same total as the Packers produced.

The importance of defense again comes through in the rankings, as all dozen teams that made the playoffs finished in the top half of the league, including eight of the top 11 spots. Only the Chiefs, Philadelphia and Baltimore crashed the top 10 and did not make the post-season.

The Chiefs defense has crawled out of a huge hole. In Cunningham’s first season back as the defensive coordinator, the Chiefs were the 31st ranked defense in the league. They’ve made progress since, moving up to a tie for 18th in 2005, 16th in the 2006 season and then the jump to a tie for second this past season.
    Here are the rankings:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/02...defensepart_1/

Wow, that actually seems like we did pretty good in redzone defense (3rd) and pretty good against 3rd down's (1st).

Why does it seem like we gave up 3rd and long more than any other team I remember?

As for best inside the redzone I would warrant there were fewer of those this year because we got scored on from 20 yards and out more often than not.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Wow, that actually seems like we did pretty good in redzone defense (3rd) and pretty good against 3rd down's (1st).

Why does it seem like we gave up 3rd and long more than any other team I remember?

As for best inside the redzone I would warrant there were fewer of those this year because we got scored on from 20 yards and out more often than not.

It seems like we gave up more cause you watch the Chiefs more than any other team.

As far as the Red Zone, our D was kick ***. Held teams to field goal a lot. I don't know where u get the scoring from 20+ yards stat from? Our defense did not give up a lot of points this year. They kept us in most games.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    It seems like we gave up more cause you watch the Chiefs more than any other team.

As far as the Red Zone, our D was kick ***. Held teams to field goal a lot. I don't know where u get the scoring from 20+ yards stat from? Our defense did not give up a lot of points this year. They kept us in most games.
    I bet we averaged 20 plus points against this season. Not great by any means!! Probably middle of the pack somewhere but definetly room for improvement IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    I bet we averaged 20 plus points against this season. Not great by any means!! Probably middle of the pack somewhere but definetly room for improvement IMO.
    I agree that they could improve, but they did play well in the Red Zone. Between the 20s is where I think they need to show the improvement which is also where I think some new blood at the corners will benefit!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I know this article was by Gretz, not you chief31, but can anyone find out what our defense did against scoring when outside the redzone, as compared to inside the redzone?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I agree that they could improve, but they did play well in the Red Zone. Between the 20s is where I think they need to show the improvement which is also where I think some new blood at the corners will benefit!
    Agreed! Corner IMO is the second most needed position on the team! You guys heard me beat it till it was dead about giving up the long ball!!!! I know the guy needs some safety help on those plays but it is the corners job first and foremost and we just don't have a guy that can man up on the other teams best receiver! As long as I have been watching Chiefs football, this has been an issue!!

Agreed! Corner IMO is the second most needed position on the team! You guys heard me beat it till it was dead about giving up the long ball!!!! I know the guy needs some safety help on those plays but it is the corners job first and foremost and we just don't have a guy that can man up on the other teams best receiver! As long as I have been watching Chiefs football, this has been an issue!!

Some speed would be nice. I like Law and Sutain, but they have both lost a step and eveyone knows it.

Agreed; we need to work on getting more three and outs to get off the field so we can have a fresh defense in the second half.

20.9, ranked 14th.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I know this article was by Gretz, not you chief31, but can anyone find out what our defense did against scoring when outside the redzone, as compared to inside the redzone?
    I couldn't find anything. This sounds like a job for rbedgood.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast