Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is our plan?

Default This is our plan?

Chiefs free agency plan is being questioned
    Jamie Squire - Getty

By Nick Athan
    Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
    Posted Mar 3, 2008

Since free agency started last Friday, the Chiefs haven’t shown much relative activity, and that’s frustrating to some fans. They’re looking for their team to do something special this offseason. They want to be shocked and feel the first true rebuilding effort this organization has made in 19 years will prove to be exciting.

But at the moment, there isn’t anything shocking going on. To date the Chiefs have cut 16 players and added only two - linebacker DeMorrio Williams and fullback Oliver Hoyte.

Where’s the rest?

It’s hasn’t arrived in Kansas City just yet, but it’s out there. When we talked with head coach Herm Edwards last month, he stated that KC’s offseason plan would focus around the NFL draft. So far, he’s holding to that course.

So with so many other teams going crazy the last four days, you have to give the Chiefs credit for sticking to their plan. It’s not easy, especially for Edwards, who has drawn some heat after a 4-12 season and is clearly at the epicenter of the change in philosophy.

But no one is panicking. Right now the Chiefs are sifting through game film and deciding which players might be a good fit in Kansas City. But that’s the key – they have to be good players. The Chiefs can’t reach (and overspend) like Edwards’ former team, the New York Jets, has since free agency began.

Here’s who the Jets have added to their roster in four days:

OL Damien Woody (Lions) - $25.5 Million
    LB Calvin Pace (Cardinals) - $42 Million
    G Alan Faneca (Steelers) - $40 Million
    DT Kris Jenkins (Panthers) - $35 Million

That’s $142.5 million. The Chiefs have spent around $15 million. Both the Jets and Chiefs went 4-12 last season, but I maintain the Chiefs will win more games than the Jets next season.

Free Agency is about spending your money wisely. The Jets are foolish for overspending on players who all have question marks, but they have to, because Eric Mangini knows this is a do or die season if he’s to remain in New York.

The same could be said for Edwards, despite the fact team owner Clark Hunt has given him a thumbs up. Hunt is anticipating improvement in 2008, or else.

But Edwards and Mangini are going about change in different ways. Who will be more successful in the long run? My money is still on Edwards.

Chiefs Notes:

Guard Rex Hadnot (Dolphins) - He could be the first of the next group of players to visit the Chiefs. He left Cleveland without receiving a contract offer, which makes you wonder why the Browns and the Titans didn’t sign him. Hadnot wasn’t happy the Dolphins let him go, but based on the fact guys like Damien Woody and Jacob Bell got rich, he has to be asking for similar money. Teams are not willing to pay it at the moment.

Guard Jake Scott - He might be the best guard on the open market but he’s yet to set up any visits. Will he come to the Chiefs? We don’t think so. The concern is his size. He’s not a mauler, the type of lineman Chan Gailey covets. If this line is going to make the jump back to elite status, it needs two guards and a center that all weigh over 300 pounds. That means Scott likely isn’t a good fit for the Chiefs.

Fullback Boomer Grigsby - To date four teams have stepped up in their efforts to lure the Chiefs converted linebacker. Grigsby has several offers but would like to stay in Kansas City despite the fact the team picked up Oliver Hoyte.

Tight End Michael Gaines - The Chiefs had him in on Sunday but didn’t offer him a contract. Monday he was off the market as he signed a long-term contract with the Detroit Lions.

Kicker Jason Elam - NFL.com reported that Elam was going to take his show on the road in the next couple of weeks. One of the teams reportedly on his list is the Kansas City Chiefs, but per our source in the organization, it appears KC’s only gameplan might be to get Denver to overspend to retain Elam. These two teams have entered into these types of shenanigans before. When Brian Griese was a free agent a few years ago, a report out of Kansas City indicated the Chiefs would offer him a large contract. Denver took notice and gave him $40 million. Nick.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I for one think this is the best strategy. I like this approach. Just because you HAVE the money, doesn't mean you should SPEND the money on marginal talent this year. If the guys you need aren't out there, wait. If you can't hit on EVERY SINGLE NEED you have for the upcoming season, the key is patience because next offseason brings a whole new crop of Free Agents.

Nobody in this organization, NFL, or the City thinks this team is on the verge of competing for a Super Bowl this season and as an organization, you have to take the approach that this is going to take more than one offseason to rebuild.

I like the fact that they wouldn't bite on Faine's asking price. He is vastly overpaid. Brown no longer wanted to kick outside which is understandable. I like the "Cold War" games the Chiefs are playing with the Broncos over their kicker.

I know nobody here likes what's going on, but i for one have agreed with almost EVERY approach the Chiefs have taken this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I for one think this is the best strategy. I like this approach. Just because you HAVE the money, doesn't mean you should SPEND the money on marginal talent this year. If the guys you need aren't out there, wait. If you can't hit on EVERY SINGLE NEED you have for the upcoming season, the key is patience because next offseason brings a whole new crop of Free Agents.

Nobody in this organization, NFL, or the City thinks this team is on the verge of competing for a Super Bowl this season and as an organization, you have to take the approach that this is going to take more than one offseason to rebuild.

I like the fact that they wouldn't bite on Faine's asking price. He is vastly overpaid. Brown no longer wanted to kick outside which is understandable. I like the "Cold War" games the Chiefs are playing with the Broncos over their kicker.

I know nobody here likes what's going on, but i for one have agreed with almost EVERY approach the Chiefs have taken this offseason.
    I'm sure glad you're here to point out how long it's gonna take for us to get back to a championship!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I too agree that we don't want to go out and spend big money on free agents.

But, this will be Herms third offseason, not his first. Noone is asking him to rebuild in one offseason. We are asking him to do it in three offseasons, and it isn't looking too good so far.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

But, this will be Herms third offseason, not his first. Noone is asking him to rebuild in one offseason. We are asking him to do it in three offseasons, and it isn't looking too good so far.

Three strikes and Herm is out??
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Three strikes and Herm is out??
    God I wish this was baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

this is his first offseason where he'll be concentrating on offense. he's brought our defense from close to dead last to AT LEAST middle of the pack. The Chiefs' total defense was ranked 13th in the league according to ahead of Oakland, Denver AND San Diego and just behind Jacksonville and Green Bay.

He drafted Bowe...(an obvious Bust) and Croyle (presumably next year's starting QB) and Kolby Smith (our #2 RB) and Jeff Webb (presumably our #2 WR). He drafted all these guys while he was trying to rebuild our defense.

What makes you think he won't be able to draft ANY good offensive players in this draft?
    Just because they didn't draft any Olinemen in the past couple years?

this is his first offseason where he'll be concentrating on offense. he's brought our defense from close to dead last to AT LEAST middle of the pack. The Chiefs' total defense was ranked 13th in the league according to ahead of Oakland, Denver AND San Diego and just behind Jacksonville and Green Bay.

He drafted Bowe...(an obvious Bust) and Croyle (presumably next year's starting QB) and Kolby Smith (our #2 RB) and Jeff Webb (presumably our #2 WR). He drafted all these guys while he was trying to rebuild our defense.

What makes you think he won't be able to draft ANY good offensive players in this draft?
    O-line...Herm don't need no stinkin' O-line...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    O-line...Herm don't need no stinkin' O-line...
    neither does Tom Brady apparently.

I said my fingers are crossed. Meaning that I hope he can.

And it has been eight drafts that Herm hasn't drafted o-linemen.

Buu-uut... I think he has to this offseason. Either way, who gets more than three years to rebuild? Offense and defense. Who gets that kind of time?

I think that this team had better start to shine, or Hermie could be getting his walking papers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast