Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two guys discussing the Chiefs first pick in the draft.

Default Two guys discussing the Chiefs first pick in the draft.

Pick 5–Kansas City Chiefs

Geeves: Here I am. Kansas City. Everybody thought we were going to draft Jake Long, since our line is….well, a bit like a pep talk to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Kind of irrelevant. Long is gone, but I do still need offensive line help for that twoheaded Brodiemon Croyhuard quarterback monster. Oh, what the hell, I’ll take Jeff Otah.

Greg Trippiedi: The moral of the story is that if you can’t buy protection…you’re best off reaching for it in the draft.

Geeves: As many a nightclub outing has proven.

Greg Trippiedi: Haha! I’m sort of serious though, with the price of tackles in free agency, it’s almost become a good idea to overvalue them in the draft, so that you don’t have to spend a ton of money for mediocrity.

Geeves: And I suppose you’re reaching either way (paying for mediocrity in FA or the draft, take your pick).

Greg Trippiedi: The difference is that you are giving up pick value instead of cap dollars.

Geeves: Good point.

Greg Trippiedi: Which is more valuable…I dont know.
    Geeves: Cap dollars are more useful long term.

http://mvn.com/nfl-draft/2008/03/10/...-20-picks-1-7/
    So O lineman are being overvalued in the draft?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    The media seems to put out that the OT position is the deepest position in this draft. Are they overvalued? I don't know. O-lineman seem to have a long shelf life. Some seem to pan out after their first couple of seasons in the league. I guess you could say that for any position. If we trade the pick and get one of these other tackles in the first round and maybe a CB or DT, wouldn't it work out better for us?

Also, everyone seems to be talking about Long's size. Braden Albert out of UVA is the top rated guard in this draft, he's a little bit bigger, and ESPN said this morning that he could be a good candidate to move to tackle. They showed some clips of pancakes by this guy going full speed in game and let me tell you, I'd be very afraid.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    The media seems to put out that the OT position is the deepest position in this draft. Are they overvalued? I don't know. O-lineman seem to have a long shelf life. Some seem to pan out after their first couple of seasons in the league. I guess you could say that for any position. If we trade the pick and get one of these other tackles in the first round and maybe a CB or DT, wouldn't it work out better for us?

Also, everyone seems to be talking about Long's size. Braden Albert out of UVA is the top rated guard in this draft, he's a little bit bigger, and ESPN said this morning that he could be a good candidate to move to tackle. They showed some clips of pancakes by this guy going full speed in game and let me tell you, I'd be very afraid.
    Man I sure hope Herm drafts O linemen this time.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Man I sure hope Herm drafts O linemen this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That didn't work the way I wanted it to.

I think it's funny you post the same "wrong" comments that I've been saying about Olinemen in free agency as if you've never heard them before, but because these other two guys are saying it, it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think it's funny you post the same "wrong" comments that I've been saying about Olinemen in free agency as if you've never heard them before, but because these other two guys are saying it, it's ok.
    First off I agree with them about Drafting either Clady or Otah if Long is unavailable.

What I don't agree with them about is that we cannot afford an O lineman or to even talk to one during FA.

Also I think they are wrong about O lineman being overvalued in the draft.

If those are the issues you say we are disagreeing about let me know your feelings on them and we will see.

First off I agree with them about Drafting either Clady or Otah if Long is unavailable.

What I don't agree with them about is that we cannot afford an O lineman or to even talk to one during FA.

Also I think they are wrong about O lineman being overvalued in the draft.

If those are the issues you say we are disagreeing about let me know your feelings on them and we will see.
    Feelings? Feelings get hurt. Opinions because everybody has one.

I disagree with drafting Otah there and I think Clady is also a reach. This according to what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    Feelings? Feelings get hurt. Opinions because everybody has one.

I disagree with drafting Otah there and I think Clady is also a reach. This according to what I've read.

If you are drafting to rebuild and need O lineman, then go and draft a running back when you are already paying LJ huge coin that is ridiculous.

Where exactly are we supposed to get these O lineman we all agree we need?

FA being a bust for that position leaves us with the same guys we had last year.

If those guys are rated near the top of their position why would you let them go to pick crappy ones in the later rounds?

I'm not a huge believer in taking the best on the board crap.

There are rarely more than 1 or 2 franchise players coming out of the draft in the first 10 picks, and guess what? We pick at number five.

If you are drafting to rebuild and need O lineman, then go and draft a running back when you are already paying LJ huge coin that is ridiculous.

Where exactly are we supposed to get these O lineman we all agree we need?

FA being a bust for that position leaves us with the same guys we had last year.

If those guys are rated near the top of their position why would you let them go to pick crappy ones in the later rounds?

I'm not a huge believer in taking the best on the board crap.

There are rarely more than 1 or 2 franchise players coming out of the draft in the first 10 picks, and guess what? We pick at number five.
    I think we should trade the pick and try to get the best value for the pick if Long is gone. If we get a later first round pick, we can still get Otah, Williams, Cherilus, or Albert. Best case scenario maybe we can get o-line and db out of the way in the first round. We could also trade the pick for a current player. Just trying to be the best armchair GM. CP makes the decisions.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast