Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought we would wait until at least the 3rd round to draft a QB.

Default I thought we would wait until at least the 3rd round to draft a QB.

Huh.

Not really a surprise I guess.

Edwards says Chiefs are just being diligent about Ryan

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Matt Ryan threw for NFL coaches and scouts on Tuesday.

The fuss started when Herm Edwards walked through the door.

As the only head coach at the campus workout of quarterback Matt Ryan and his Boston College teammates, Edwards created a stir by his mere presence on Tuesday. He was joined by president/general manager Carl Peterson and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, making the Chiefs the only team with so many high-profile representatives.

Edwards had his picture taken while talking with Ryan, and it moved on the Associated Press wire. He answered questions afterward in what amounted to a news conference regarding Ryan, generally considered the top quarterback available in this year’s draft.

All of which means . . . what, exactly? It was impossible to determine that answer, even on Wednesday, after Edwards returned to Kansas City. It could signal their intentions to draft Ryan or it could be an elaborate bluff.

That’s just the sort of doubt the Chiefs, who hold the fifth pick in the draft next month, hoped to create.

“It just means we’re looking at everybody,” Edwards said. “I’m going to LSU next week. They’ve got a defensive tackle down there, some wide receivers, some defensive backs. I went to Cal last week.
    They’ve got seven guys there. I was on the news there, too. I was the only head coach there.

“You’ll never know who we’re going to draft. Maybe we’re playing poker here. That’s what’s great about it.”

Usually, Edwards wouldn’t make such a trip unless the Chiefs’ interest is genuine. And it’s not as if the Chiefs are solid at quarterback. They remain hopeful that Brodie Croyle will develop into something special but also realize that may never occur.

But it’s also difficult picturing the Chiefs spending a premium draft choice on a quarterback when they have so many other positions of desperate need. Foremost is the offensive line, and Boston College offers one of the draft’s best tackle prospects in Gosder Cherilus.

“(Ryan) didn’t work out at the combine,” Edwards said. “We wanted to see him work out. And you know they’ve got a left tackle there, too. But we figured we needed to see (Ryan) work out because you never know what’s going to happen in the draft. You’d hate to be sitting there, and all of a sudden the guy falls into your lap and you never saw him work out and never visited with him. So we’re just doing our due diligence with the kid.

“He looked good. He’s a good player. He’s got a lot of good qualities. He’s won a lot of games. That’s what you like to see. That catches your attention. He’s the No. 1-rated quarterback. You want to see all of those guys, those seven or eight guys, that you feel could be there when you pick. You want to have a good feel for all of them.”

As far as the photo with Ryan and the postworkout news conference, Edwards has never been shy about taking his place before the cameras and tape recorders. But he insisted that at least this time that wasn’t part of the plan.

“The workout started at 10 (a.m.), but he didn’t throw until 2 (p.m.),” Edwards said. “They let these other schools work out first. It was a marathon, but he was just sitting there. He’s down there talking to his coordinator, and I just sat down talking to him try to relax the guy. There were all of these cameras around the guy.

“The other thing about it is that when the workout was done, they had a (public-relations) guy at the school, and he asked me to come in and speak to the press. I said OK, figuring there would be one or two guys there. It was like after a game there were so many guys there. The whole room was packed. So I sat down and did a press conference for about 25 minutes.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/538918.html
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Huh.

Not really a surprise I guess.
    I thought slick said Brodie was his starter? This is probably a front.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    I thought slick said Brodie was his starter? This is probably a front.
    I don't know about that.

Herm said he has been out looking at all kinds of talent.

Do you think he's trying to trick one of the other teams that pick before us into snatching Ryan so that Jake is available?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I don't know about that.

Do you think he's trying to trick one of the other teams that pick before us into snatching Ryan so that Jake is available?
    All the draft "analysts" I've read seem to think the Rams will take Long. The Rams don't need a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    All the draft "analysts" I've read seem to think the Rams will take Long. The Rams don't need a QB.
    The Raiders could do it just to spite us, if the Rams don't.

Al Davis will take McFadden. Unless he takes Chris Johnson out of ECU because he ran the fastest. Davis bases his drafting on 40 times, he's senile.

I don't know about that.

I would not be at all surprised if we do draft a QB. Herm thinks that his failures in NY are because of a Qb, and not the lack of pass-blocking. So it is entirely likely that he believes that all he needs is a QB.

Herm has never bothered to put alot of emphasism on the o-line positions, so maybe he still doesn't get it.

You mean the Raiders will draft Ryan or Long out of spite?
    there is no way they will take a qb. not with a 30 million dollar russell on the sidelines still trying to learn the play book.

Also we need to take the chiefs being at Ryan's workout with a total grain of salt.

A. we arent doing ANYTHING in free agency. so it isnt like the chiefs dont have free time. and

B. I wouldnt expect anything less. If herm isnt at every workout meeting with every possible top ten talent then he isnt doing his job. his confidence in this draft can only be solidified by working out every possible situation that might happen at the #5 pick.

This draft is so important. As far as I am concerned he better have Plan A on down to Z if needed to get this team back on track.

At least he is looking. That is a lot more then previous Chiefs coaches who relied on the scouts to do the job. Herm is better for looking at the talent himself, afterall he has to coach them and he should know what he wants in a player. If the Chiefs draft Ryan I think it would be a mistake because of the money he would get for drafting so high and he could very well be a flop (JaMarcus Russell....even though it is hilarious that it happened to the Raiders.).

On the other hand I think the Chiefs need to look at someone else instead of Croyle. Is it only me who thinks he isnt going to be the QB we need? Afterall the job was his unless he messed up last year, and he did mess up. It shows me that he isnt starting QB material. But we dont know if Ryan is also. Anyone know how good the WR were at BC? With how Bowe and his counterpart (who is in SD) played this year, its no wonder Russell looked so good at LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    At least he is looking. That is a lot more then previous Chiefs coaches who relied on the scouts to do the job. Herm is better for looking at the talent himself, afterall he has to coach them and he should know what he wants in a player. If the Chiefs draft Ryan I think it would be a mistake because of the money he would get for drafting so high and he could very well be a flop (JaMarcus Russell....even though it is hilarious that it happened to the Raiders.).

On the other hand I think the Chiefs need to look at someone else instead of Croyle. Is it only me who thinks he isnt going to be the QB we need? Afterall the job was his unless he messed up last year, and he did mess up. It shows me that he isnt starting QB material. But we dont know if Ryan is also. Anyone know how good the WR were at BC? With how Bowe and his counterpart (who is in SD) played this year, its no wonder Russell looked so good at LSU.
    I dont think Brodie has had a decent chance to show what he can do. I say give him this year with a little protection and see what happens. We need to draft O line and corners. Build the team around him this year and if he dosen't work out then look for a QB next season.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast