Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ESPN First Take

Default ESPN First Take

They were talking about our pick this morning in their mock draft feature. They talked about us trying to trade down if the Rams take Long. If we didn't trade down, they talked about us taking Sedrick Ellis out of USC. I've watched him play. He's pretty good. I still think we should try to trade the pick.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

I just remember hearing somewhere that here was a way he could basically be "forced" to stay for three years.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Or... maybe give the man a long-term deal. You keep going on about what a "cancer" he is to this team, but what has been his only complaint?

A long-term contract. (Pretty rare for a player to make any noise about that, ehh?)

Sure would have been nice to have already locked him up with a much less costly deal last offseason.

So, if he gets his contract, is he still some team destroying "cancer"?
    so, reward him for what? having been suspended for two straight seasons? you need to remember that he isn't asking for market value for a DE. Last season, it was well known that the guy want Peyton Manning money. Do you really think he deserves that type of money? Does he bring the same kind of intangible to the Chiefs that Manning does to the Colts?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I thought they could franchise him for the next three years?
    yes, they CAN franchise him for the next couple years, but when you're paying close to 10million a year to keep him around, it hampers your ability to do much else. Long term deals make it possible for the franchise to pay as it needs to so that they can fit it into a "budget" of sorts.

A franchise looks at the large contracts it has on the books and when they're paying certain high numbers in any given year. So, for example, let's say they were paying Holmes, LJ, DJ, Hali, Law, Edwards, Waters, TG high numbers this season and didn't have much cap room. If you were to franchise JA, you'd have to factor in another 10 million into this year's cap number. Let's say the Chiefs only had 3 million in cap room. Now, they have to find a way to cut 7 million off their payroll just to keep one player. So, this means players would either be cut (if the penalty isn't too high) or get players to "restructure" which is almost the same as players giving money back to the franchise so that it can be given to the franchised player.

I think the Chiefs came into this offseason with a little more than 20 million in cap space. If the Chiefs don't sign him to a long term deal this year, half of that space will be used JUST on Allen alone. This COULD'VE factored into the decisions of the Chiefs not to make any big moves in free agency if they're anticipating not being able to reach an agreement.

So, if the Chiefs keep playing this game with Allen, they won't be able to keep some of the other players like Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, or any of the newer players who'll be wanting big money after their rookie contracts are up.

This season is THE season to find a resolution one way or another on this topic. I just happen to be in favor of getting compensation for a player who doesn't want to be here, no matter how much the fan base wants him.
    Guess it's a good thing Herm is our coach, otherwise, he might threaten to hold out. The only reason he didn't last year, was because of his teammates and the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    No, He is a Leader, He can enhance the play of his team mates. He is a fan favorite, and that is also important. JMO
    Some leader. He's teaching all the young players on the team that if you break the rules/law, then throw a temper tantrum, you'll eventually get what you want.
    Here's a link to an article about the Jared Allen contract situation. I thought it was interesting.

http://mvn.com/nfl-chiefs/2008/03/03...racts-in-2008/
    Last edited by texaschief; 03-15-2008 at 03:37 PM.

to hell with trading allen trade johnson

Quote Originally Posted by dtforever View Post
    to hell with trading allen trade johnson
    Yea right!!!!!!!!!

Carl will find a way to mess the whole thing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Carl will find a way to mess the whole thing up.
    He already has!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    so, reward him for what? having been suspended for two straight seasons? you need to remember that he isn't asking for market value for a DE. Last season, it was well known that the guy want Peyton Manning money. Do you really think he deserves that type of money? Does he bring the same kind of intangible to the Chiefs that Manning does to the Colts?

How about comparing his asking price to Dwight Freeneys? Allen does alot more than Freeney anyway.

Also, could you please show me where J.A. was asking for "Peyton-money" in '06?

This season is THE season to find a resolution one way or another on this topic. I just happen to be in favor of getting compensation for a player who doesn't want to be here, no matter how much the fan base wants him.

You just make this stuff up as you go, or what? While you are searching for that "Manning-money" thing, could you also show me the statement that J.A. doesn't want to be here?

I would appreciate that. Because to my knowledge, the only comoplaint that J.A. has made is that he wants a long-term deal.

You just make this stuff up as you go, or what? While you are searching for that "Manning-money" thing, could you also show me the statement that J.A. doesn't want to be here?

I would appreciate that. Because to my knowledge, the only comoplaint that J.A. has made is that he wants a long-term deal.
    I remember reading that JA said he wouldn't sign with the Chiefs if we franchised him.

I wonder where I read that...
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

1.SLAM! Sports, Canada - Feb 25, 2007
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen wants out of Kansas City.

He formally requested a trade after contract negotiations broke down over the weekend in Indianapolis, Allen's agent, Ken Harris, said in a phone interview Sunday.

The Kansas City Star reported that the team rejected the request, and Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson told the newspaper that the club plans to tender Allen on March 1, the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
    2.Chiefs DE Allen tells newspaper he wants out of K.C.

ESPN.com news services
    Updated: February 25, 2007, 6:48 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen has yet to be offered a long-term contract and has requested to be traded.

Allen
    Allen told the Kansas City Star on Saturday that he wanted to finish his career with the Chiefs, but the club hasn't offered the restricted free agent a contract.

"I feel shocked and hurt." Allen told the Star. "Requesting a trade was probably the toughest thing I've had to do. It's nothing personal against the town of Kansas City and the fans. It's been great. [But] it doesn't look like my future is going to be there, and I have to accept that. That's why this is so hard. All the hard work I've put in, the blood, sweat and tears … I wanted to finish my career there. I was led to believe I was going to."

The Chiefs turned down Allen's request for a trade and president/general manager Carl Peterson said the club plans to tender Allen on Thursday, according to the report. Thursday is the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore could not immediately confirm the report Sunday when contacted by The Associated Press.

However, Moore said, "It's my understanding that we have no intentions of trading Jared Allen."

Allen has 27½ sacks in his three NFL season and led the league with six fumble recoveries in 2006.

Allen's agent, Ken Harris, told the Star that the Chiefs plan to high tender Allen. Kansas City would receive a first and third round draft choice if another team signed him to an offer sheet. If that happens, Allen, would earn $2.35 million as a high tender in 2007 according to the Star.

"His production has outpaced everyone else on the defensive line exponentially," Harris said.

Harris confirmed to The AP that the sides were still far apart on a long-term deal, but declined to offer specifics.

Peterson also noted that even though Allen's two DUI convictions -- the second earlier this month in Leawood, Kan. -- factored into the contract process, he still wanted Allen on the team.

"There's always a risk," Peterson told The Star. "And we haven't found out yet from the National Football League how much of a suspension they're going to give him [in 2007].

"He's a very good football player. But he's also a young man at risk, and we know that, and so does the National Football League. We're trying to work out something that makes sense, and hopefully that will be done."

Moore said he could not discuss specifics.

"With repeated DUIs, there's always a risk that those things will end in a league punishment of some sort," he said.
    There's a couple. I can't find the Peyton Manning quote again. oh well. guess i made that up....cuz it's not like i ever back up the things i say.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    1.SLAM! Sports, Canada - Feb 25, 2007
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen wants out of Kansas City.

He formally requested a trade after contract negotiations broke down over the weekend in Indianapolis, Allen's agent, Ken Harris, said in a phone interview Sunday.

The Kansas City Star reported that the team rejected the request, and Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson told the newspaper that the club plans to tender Allen on March 1, the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
    2.Chiefs DE Allen tells newspaper he wants out of K.C.

ESPN.com news services
    Updated: February 25, 2007, 6:48 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen has yet to be offered a long-term contract and has requested to be traded.

Allen
    Allen told the Kansas City Star on Saturday that he wanted to finish his career with the Chiefs, but the club hasn't offered the restricted free agent a contract.

"I feel shocked and hurt." Allen told the Star. "Requesting a trade was probably the toughest thing I've had to do. It's nothing personal against the town of Kansas City and the fans. It's been great. [But] it doesn't look like my future is going to be there, and I have to accept that. That's why this is so hard. All the hard work I've put in, the blood, sweat and tears … I wanted to finish my career there. I was led to believe I was going to."

The Chiefs turned down Allen's request for a trade and president/general manager Carl Peterson said the club plans to tender Allen on Thursday, according to the report. Thursday is the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore could not immediately confirm the report Sunday when contacted by The Associated Press.

However, Moore said, "It's my understanding that we have no intentions of trading Jared Allen."

Allen has 27½ sacks in his three NFL season and led the league with six fumble recoveries in 2006.

Allen's agent, Ken Harris, told the Star that the Chiefs plan to high tender Allen. Kansas City would receive a first and third round draft choice if another team signed him to an offer sheet. If that happens, Allen, would earn $2.35 million as a high tender in 2007 according to the Star.

"His production has outpaced everyone else on the defensive line exponentially," Harris said.

Harris confirmed to The AP that the sides were still far apart on a long-term deal, but declined to offer specifics.

Peterson also noted that even though Allen's two DUI convictions -- the second earlier this month in Leawood, Kan. -- factored into the contract process, he still wanted Allen on the team.

"There's always a risk," Peterson told The Star. "And we haven't found out yet from the National Football League how much of a suspension they're going to give him [in 2007].

"He's a very good football player. But he's also a young man at risk, and we know that, and so does the National Football League. We're trying to work out something that makes sense, and hopefully that will be done."

Moore said he could not discuss specifics.

"With repeated DUIs, there's always a risk that those things will end in a league punishment of some sort," he said.
    There's a couple. I can't find the Peyton Manning quote again. oh well. guess i made that up....cuz it's not like i ever back up the things i say.
    What the hell are you doing up so late??

I remember all that you just posted as well.

I don't remember him asking for Peyton Manning money, but he was asking for Freeney money.

Perhaps that is what you were referring to?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast