Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any else pissed?

Default Any else pissed?

I can't believe the Faders are getting Hall from Atlanta ! We should have at least tried, that is one postion that is crucial to fill.

Carl and Herm both have made it abundantly clear that they have no intention on spending money in the FA market.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Carl and Herm both have made it abundantly clear that they have no intention on spending money in the FA market.
    Hall isn't a free agent for starters.
    Per PFT:
    Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that a trade that would send cornerback DeAngelo Hall from the Falcons to the Raiders could take place within the next week.

Per Schefter, Hall was in Oakland on Friday, where he took a physical and met with Raiders owner Al Davis, head coach Lane Kiffin and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

Although the trade appears to be a distinct possibility, the teams haven’t agreed on what the Raiders would have to give the Falcons to acquire Hall. The Raiders also haven’t reached an agreement on a new contract for Hall, which would likely have to happen before a trade is completed.

Hall is believed to want a deal that would make him among the highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL, and while that may be a case of Hall overestimating his value, the Raiders have shown a willingness to spend big money on veteran players this off-season. Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly, wide receiver Javon Walker and safety Gibril Wilson all got more money from the Raiders than most NFL observers thought they could command.

As for the compensation the Raiders would need to send to the Falcons, Schefter reports that the Falcons would likely demand at least the Raiders’ second-round draft pick. If such a trade were to take place, the Falcons would have three picks in the second round: Their own, the Raiders’, and the Texans’ from last year’s Matt Schaub trade.
    I have a hard time believing the Falcons would only want a second round pick for one of, if not THE best CB in the game. But to answer the original question, yes. I'd be pissed if the Raiders landed him for a second round pick and we did nothing to improve our team with Hall while only surrendering a second round pick. Hell, that's a position we'll probably be drafting with one of our first two picks anyways.

But i have a feeling the Raiders are going to have to give up more than just a second round pick. They will probably swap picks in the first as well as many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    It's going to be a long couple of years, punctuated by a half empty Arrowhead. That should be fun... :(
    Thanks King Carl and Hopeless Herm.

well, guess i was wrong.

Per ESPN:

The Atlanta Falcons have reached an agreement in principle with the Oakland Raiders to trade cornerback DeAngelo Hall for the Raiders' second-round pick in the 2008 draft, pending the Raiders finalizing a contract with Hall, a source close to the Falcons told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

While a Raiders source said Hall and the team are nearing an agreement on a contract, the source close to Hall said there is "still a lot of work to get it done."

The Raiders source said the deal is expected to pay Hall just below what Asante Samuel signed with the Eagles. Samuel signed a six-year deal worth a reported $57 million, with
    $20 million guaranteed.

Hall, a former first-rounder taken with the eighth pick in the 2004 draft, would be paired with Nnamdi Asomugha, giving Oakland one of the top tandems in the game.
    The move would also provide insurance if Asomugha were to leave as a free agent following next season. The Raiders placed the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugha, guaranteeing him at least $9.465 million in 2008. They still would like to sign him to a long-term deal.

If the deal goes through, the Raiders would have only one draft pick in the first three rounds. Oakland picks fourth in the opening round and traded its third-round pick last year to New England for a pick used to draft offensive lineman Mario Henderson.

The Falcons are getting taken in this deal. A former #8 pick/top tier corner for a second round pick?

The only good thing i see coming out of this is that the Raiders only have 1 pick on day one....and absolutely no cap space for the next century. lol

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post

The only good thing i see coming out of this is that the Raiders only have 1 pick on day one....and absolutely no cap space for the next century. lol
    Yes, the faders definitely blew their load in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I hope the Chiefs stay on the same track they're on and keep building thru the draft and continue to be frugal during free agency (maybe not as frugal as THIS year) but still frugal during the next 3 or 4 years and watch the differences in these two franchises. They both had roughly the same cap room going into this offseason.

Obviously the Raiders decided to overpay free agent players in order to attract other players to go to Oakland and rebuild their team thru free agency. The biggest difference between the two teams is that Oakland has an established front runner at the QB position for their franchise's future. They better shore up the rest of their weaknesses that they'll have for the next few years in the draft because they're going to be screwed in free agency for the next few years.

The Chiefs on the other hand are having trouble keeping their players interested in staying in Kansas City. They had to over pay LJ to keep his services. Jared Allen wants to leave and the organization has cleansed itself of old players and high cap numbers. They have decided to rebuild thru the draft and the fruits of their approach probably won't come to full fruition for another couple seasons.

These two teams are really close comparisons from last season and both took drastically different approaches in rectifying their respective teams.

I'm really curious to see which approach will end up being best in the long run.

I hope the Chiefs stay on the same track they're on and keep building thru the draft and continue to be frugal during free agency (maybe not as frugal as THIS year) but still frugal during the next 3 or 4 years and watch the differences in these two franchises. They both had roughly the same cap room going into this offseason.

Obviously the Raiders decided to overpay free agent players in order to attract other players to go to Oakland and rebuild their team thru free agency. The biggest difference between the two teams is that Oakland has an established front runner at the QB position for their franchise's future. They better shore up the rest of their weaknesses that they'll have for the next few years in the draft because they're going to be screwed in free agency for the next few years.

The Chiefs on the other hand are having trouble keeping their players interested in staying in Kansas City. They had to over pay LJ to keep his services. Jared Allen wants to leave and the organization has cleansed itself of old players and high cap numbers. They have decided to rebuild thru the draft and the fruits of their approach probably won't come to full fruition for another couple seasons.

These two teams are really close comparisons from last season and both took drastically different approaches in rectifying their respective teams.

I'm really curious to see which approach will end up being best in the long run.
    I almost sensed a tiny bit of humility in that last sentence.

But then again you could just be stating that so that in 2 years you can reopen this thread and say told ya so!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Hall isn't a free agent for starters...
    My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

No doubt!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast