Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101

Thread: Al Davis has friggen Lost his mind-LOL

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hartford, South Dakota
    Posts
    1,407
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Al Davis has friggen Lost his mind-LOL


    0 Not allowed!
    Posted: Today 1:40 PM
    Oakland paying j.russel $20 mil bonus? and hall?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=3299615


    Al Davis likes to talk about the Raiders' commitment to excellence. This offseason, the world is wondering if he's committed to debt.
    The pending DeAngelo Hall trade, which won't be completed until Hall agrees to an Asante Samuel-like contract, is Davis' latest venture into a wild spending spree. He gave safety Gibril Wilson a six-year, $39 million contract. Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly received a seven-year, $52.5 million deal. Offensive tackle Kwame Harris moved across the bay from the 49ers for a three-year, $14 million deal. Wide receiver Javon Walker caught a six-year, $55 million pass.

    With quarterback JaMarcus Russell receiving a $19.9 million option bonus this year, the Raiders' payroll has soared to $137 million -- $21 million over the salary cap -- and Davis isn't done yet. His plan is to keep CB Nnamdi Asomugha, whose franchise tag will count $9.465 million against the cap. Davis also plans to keep the No. 4 pick in the draft, which will net a contract worth between $5 million and $9 million a year. Davis, impatient about the team's football fortunes (only 19 victories over the past five seasons), is going against the financial bottom line to improve the team's football bottom line.
    In 2005, he tried to give the franchise a jolt by trading for wide receiver Randy Moss and making free-agent moves such as the signings of RB LaMont Jordan, DE Derrick Burgess and others. It didn't work, and Moss became so disinterested in football in Oakland that he was traded to New England for the fourth-round pick.
    Those moves seem modest compared to 2008, and the interesting part about it is that Davis is the one pulling the trigger. After a disappointing 4-12 season, Davis removed head coach Lane Kiffin from the personnel decision-making process. It's Davis himself working the deals with the help of selected front-office employees.
    Unlike the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and other cost-conscious teams, Davis isn't looking for bargains. He didn't blink about coughing up $107.5 million in contracts for Kelly, coming off ACL surgery, and Walker, who is coming off a knee injury that limited him to eight games in Denver last season. Last weekend, Davis instructed negotiators within the organization to make the Hall deal a priority after agreeing to trade terms with the Falcons.
    Recently, Davis sold non-voting shares in the Raiders, which gave him the money to go on this spending spree and invest in so many players.

    Still, the timing of these moves is unusual because of the uncertainty of the head coaching position. Kiffin comes to work each day not knowing for sure if he's going to be the head coach by the start of the 2008 season.
    Reports surfaced in January that Kiffin was asked to resign. He didn't, and even though the Raiders have denied the resignation story, numerous sources have backed up the tenuous relationship between the coach and owner. One sign of the discord was Davis' hiring of James Lofton as wide receivers coach without getting Kiffin's blessing.
    Of course, Davis has always believed in getting the best players to win, and he's showing an aggressiveness reminiscent of the Al Davis of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
    Davis believes in man-to-man cornerback play. Putting Hall at cornerback with Asomugha gives the Raiders their best man-to-man cornerback tandem since Charles Woodson and Eric Allen. In many ways, Davis is flashing back to the Mike Haynes-Lester Hayes days in making this trade. It probably means former first-round choice Fabian Washington will be traded.
    Davis believes in big-play passing ability. With strong-armed Russell at quarterback, the Raiders added some deep speed with Walker and Drew Carter, who signed a one-year deal for around $2 million. Ronald Curry will be the possession receiver.
    Kelly received his big payday to make the conversion from defensive end to defensive tackle, replacing the retiring Warren Sapp. Davis is hoping Kelly's athletic ability will replace the inside pass rush lost with Sapp's departure.

    The Wilson signing was one of the most debatable. The Raiders' defensive schemes require their safeties to play more man coverage. Two years ago, the Raiders drafted Michael Huff in the first round because of his coverage ability at safety, but he has been up and down. Safety is a tough job with the Raiders, but Davis didn't mind making Wilson the third highest paid safety in football.
    Not everything has gone right for the Raiders. While the team was wrapping up the Kelly contract, it lost defensive end Chris Clemons, an eight-sack pass-rusher on the rise. He signed for less than $3 million a year with the Eagles.
    Once the Hall trade is completed, it creates problems in trying to keep Asomugha. He's on the one-year franchise tender, and he's not going to sign for much less than the six-year, $57 million deal given to Samuel. To keep him as a franchise player next year, the price goes to $11.35 million.
    But Davis isn't thinking about the green. He's thinking about the silver and black. He's just trying to win, baby.
    The South Dakota Crew ( 9 strong ) Tailgated the 09 Draft party !

    http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/YZILLA/Chiefs/


    www.youtube.com/yzilla

  2. #41
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me...the amount of optimism that people have about our team. Possibly the psychic abilities considering no one even know who will be playing on the team next season. Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers too?
    When the organization does something to make me feel confident about our chances, then I will be more optimistic. But when everything that I see looks like they are taking another year off, then I don't have a whole lot of optimism.

    Maybe they can pull-off a Giants-type of surprise. But it would be just that for me, a surprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I didn't say people shouldn't say anything, but can you honestly say that there is anything positive being said about the team at all? Is there no upside to the team whatsoever. You rarely hear that....I keep hearing the ever so popular "CP had his run and it is time to go" or "Herm will find a way to screw it up" posts. How about the Brodie will probablly look better next season with some protection, or Bowe is a great WR threat, Tony G should have another Pro Bowl season, our defense is gonna kick some *** this season. There is hardly anything positive ever said on here and if it does get said then you are obviously just a homer and you are unrealistic. I spent the entire offseason last year saying the same thing, but people would prefer to be able to bring up their posts from last year and say I told you they suck. There is a fine line between being realistic and being downright negative for the sake of being negative. Too bad the Chiefs don't have any commitment to winning.
    Well, until they do something to improve the pass-protection, I am not so sure that Croyle will have time in the pocket.

  3. #42
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    I have to... ahem, admit I actually root for Brodie. I have a lot of family in Alabama.

    I like Brodie!

    I don't know whether he will be able to last, but I want him to be the starter if he can get some protection and be able to have just a little bit of time to make a decision!

    GO BRODIE!!!!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  4. #43
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, until they do something to improve the pass-protection, I am not so sure that Croyle will have time in the pocket.
    I give up trying to get my point across. Criticize away. I don't listen to all the complainers anymore, but this statement is my point. NO ONE KNOWS what kind of O line we are going to have but the *****ing about it is going on all the time. Thank you to those members who
    do have some good things to say. See u at the opener
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  5. #44
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I give up trying to get my point across. Criticize away. I don't listen to all the complainers anymore, but this statement is my point. NO ONE KNOWS what kind of O line we are going to have but the *****ing about it is going on all the time. Thank you to those members who
    do have some good things to say. See u at the opener
    I think everyone knows your point!! You aren't the resident optimist for nothin!!! I, for one, just don't agree that I should continue to be optimistic when they don't, in my eyes, seem to be doing anything to get better. That's all. Don't go leave now just because you don't agree. Right now the Chiefs undefeated!!!!! Hows that for optimism!!

  6. #45
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    I think everyone knows your point!! You aren't the resident optimist for nothin!!! I, for one, just don't agree that I should continue to be optimistic when they don't, in my eyes, seem to be doing anything to get better. That's all. Don't go leave now just because you don't agree. Right now the Chiefs undefeated!!!!! Hows that for optimism!!
    Why would I leave now? I put up with all you dipsh!ts this long!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  7. #46
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Why would I leave now? I put up with all you dipsh!ts this long!
    Awesome!

    Can't wait to see you bring the Chiefs a home opener win!!!!!

    GO CANADA!!!!!



    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  8. #47
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,152
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Why would I leave now? I put up with all you dipsh!ts this long!
    Get out there and play tackle dude! That beer gut should give you some leverage!



    "Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

  9. #48
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Why would I leave now? I put up with all you dipsh!ts this long!
    SWEET!!! DIPSH! TS UNITE!!!!!!!!

  10. #49
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    SWEET!!! DIPSH! TS UNITE!!!!!!!!
    see.....you want me to stay around.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  11. #50
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    see.....you want me to stay around.
    Just because you have beer!

    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •