Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing KC’s offensive line

Default Reviewing KC’s offensive line

Brian Bahr/Getty
    By Michael Ash
    Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
    Posted Mar 27, 2008

After discussing what the Chiefs aren’t doing with the offensive line last week, it’s only fair to take a look at the other side of the coin. Many of the linemen already with the team will be competing for starting jobs next season, so we'll evaluate those currently on the roster.

OT Anthony Alabi

Alabi played his college ball at TCU and was taken in the fifth round of the 2005 draft by Miami, back during the Dolphins’ brief Nick Saban era. Coincidentally, the pick used to take Alabi originally belonged to the Chiefs, with the two teams swapping fifth-rounders that year as part of the Patrick Surtain trade.

Alabi played 13 games in three years at Miami and was among their many cuts this offseason. He was claimed off waivers by four clubs, but with the worst record of the bunch, the Chiefs snagged him.

He might be an unknown, but Alabi will be in the mix this year for the starting right tackle spot.

OT Adrian Jones

Herm Edwards drafted this former Jayhawk with the Jets back in 2004. He started every game during Edwards’ final year in New York, but his playing time dropped off dramatically after that season and he was ultimately released late in 2007.

The Chiefs claimed Jones off waivers, but don’t have any grand expectations for him. He’ll compete for a backup spot during camp.

OT Travis Leffew

The undrafted free agent has bounced from team to team since coming into the league in 2006. The Chiefs signed him off Atlanta’s practice squad late last season and he’ll be one of many linemen trying to earn a roster spot this offseason.

OT Damion McIntosh

He isn’t the long-term answer at left tackle, but McIntosh held down the fort reasonably well in his first season as a Chief. Although he’ll remain a starter in 2008, where exactly he’ll line up seems up in the air at the moment.

If the Chiefs can find a new left tackle in the draft, McIntosh is the obvious candidate to move to the opposite side of the line. But if the team can add two new tackles, or someone already on the roster steps up to fill the right tackle spot, McIntosh may be a consideration at guard.

It would be a gamble, however, considering he’s only played two games at guard in his career. He also didn’t appear to be a particularly strong run blocker last season.

C Rudy Niswanger
    Will Niswanger be KC's starting center in 2008?
    Brian Bahr - Getty
    Considered by many to be a key part of the future of KC’s line, Niswanger looked promising in limited duty as a guard in 2007. Unfortunately, he suffered a season-ending knee injury late in the season and was forced to undergo surgery.

The good news is that he’s ahead of schedule in his recovery and should be ready for mini-camp. During Monday’s press conference, Herm Edwards said Niswanger would be the center if the season started today, so an issue that has been speculated about all offseason appears to have been resolved. This will allow Brian Waters to remain at guard and returns Niswanger to the position he played at LSU.

G Tre Stallings

A sixth-round pick in 2006, Stallings has been working with Will Shields to help improve his game. He appears capable athletically, but has apparently had trouble learning the playbook. Having already used up his practice squad eligibility, and with the Chiefs likely to bring in plenty of linemen before training camp, this will be an important offseason for Stallings as he fights to stay on the roster.

OT Will Svitek

Once considered KC’s left tackle of the future, it seems those hopes were set a little too high. But Svitek showed promise at right tackle late last season and should be in the mix for that spot in 2008.

OT Herb Taylor

The Chiefs are high on Taylor, who was nothing short of dominant in college at TCU. He briefly filled in at left tackle against the Detroit Lions and looked solid. The team is hoping to see him step up to the next level this offseason and he’s another player who will be in consideration for a starting role at right tackle. Depending on the other options, Taylor could also have an opportunity at guard.

G Brian Waters

It’s fair to say Waters didn’t have his best season in 2007. Let’s be honest, though - one man can only hold the wall up for so long before the entire dam finally breaks. There’s been a lot of speculation as to which position he’ll line up at next year, but that subject appears to have been put to rest with the announcement of Rudy Niswanger at center.

The linchpin of the Chiefs’ line and one of the team’s most vocal leaders, Waters will be relied on heavily as the reconstruction of the offensive line gets underway. Incidentally, it seems he may be looking for a new contract.

Evaluation

Only two spots along the line appear set at this point: Brian Waters at left guard and Rudy Niswanger at center. The most anticipated scenario is that left tackle will be manned by a rookie from the first or second round of the draft, but that’s certainly not a guarantee. There are a host of potential candidates for right tackle already on the roster.

The biggest hole may be at right guard, where the Chiefs don’t appear to have an obvious solution at the moment. Moving Damion McIntosh inside is only an option if both tackle positions are already set, and even then it may not be an ideal fit. Guard is yet another position the Chiefs may need to target early on in the draft.

That brings us back to the overall problem the Chiefs are facing. Many seem to expect them to focus heavily on offensive linemen with their first few draft picks, if not throughout the entire draft itself. But that’s not a realistic solution for a team needing help in so many areas. Should Kansas City pass on talented corners and receivers just to stock up on linemen?

There’s no doubt the Chiefs have holes and question marks all over the offensive line. At this point, the best hope is that they find a few talented players in the draft while this year’s plan works out better than last year’s.

var premiumFlag = 0;

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    True. I just don't know if I'm spending top 5 money and a top 5 draft pick on an OT if I'm not positive if he can play LT. Just my opinion. Jake Long isn't an Orlando Pace where you KNEW he was a LT coming out.

The only position worth top 5 money, really, is QB. I don't see a QB worth taking in the top 5 this season. If someone really wants to jump up and take our pick from us, i'll be happy to take their first pick this AND next year.
    Your post said he could be a good LT.

I don't disagree with trading the pick if Long, and now Clady, isn't available.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Scott Wright is the founder and President of NFL Draft Countdown.com. He has been scouting players and evaluating the NFL Draft since 1993.

An authority in the field, Scott has been featured as an NFL Draft expert by media outlets across the country and is a member of the Football Writers Association of America.

Wright invests countless hours per week evaluating game film and maintaining this site. His passion for the Draft and scouting players comes through in his work and he has historically had some of the most complete and precise mock drafts available, including a 1st place finish nationally in 2004.

NFL Draft Countdown.com has continued to grow over the years and now is the most popular NFL Draft site in the world. Scott is dedicated to bringing visitors the most accurate and informative site possible while continuing to cater to everyone from the novice fan to the most avid draftnik. All 100% FREE!
    That guy makes it sound like we have gotten it all wrong.

This should be an interesting draft!

I just can't wait for Chiefs Season!!!!!!

Every year there are sure things and busts.

I wonder what will happen this year.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

what? why would you say that when we have so many picks coming up in this draft?
    Done rebuilding in the draft.

Aren't we gonna shore up the O line with all our picks?

Are you still saying we can do that with late picks?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    That was on your post too.
    We can get a "GOOD" LT later in the draft. If we're spending top 5 money on a LT, he'd better be a freakin "GREAT" LT. Don't you think? It's not enough to just draft an OT, it has to be a smart choice. Just because he's hyped and shows great promise doesn't mean he will be best suited for our needs at that pick.

If we could get the same talent for the Left Tackle position at pick #5 as we could at pick #35, wouldn't you wait till pick 35 for that position while picking up some incredible talent worthy of the #5 pick, such as Gholston, Dorsey, Ellis, or McFadden?

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Done rebuilding in the draft.

Aren't we gonna shore up the O line with all our picks?

Are you still saying we can do that with late picks?
    I just think our first pick could be best used at some other position than OT. I DO think one of our first two picks should be used on the line. I don't think the line should only be addressed with late round picks.

We can get a "GOOD" LT later in the draft. If we're spending top 5 money on a LT, he'd better be a freakin "GREAT" LT. Don't you think? It's not enough to just draft an OT, it has to be a smart choice. Just because he's hyped and shows great promise doesn't mean he will be best suited for our needs at that pick.

If we could get the same talent for the Left Tackle position at pick #5 as we could at pick #35, wouldn't you wait till pick 35 for that position while picking up some incredible talent worthy of the #5 pick, such as Gholston, Dorsey, Ellis, or McFadden?
    Agreed. But from what I've read and watched, he's a step above the other OT prospects. Also from what I've seen, Clady is closing the gap.

If we get Chris Williams, Otah, Cherilus, Baker, or Albert and they can help shore up the line, I'm happy. None of them should be taken at #5. But out of the 7 I've mentioned, I think CP and Herm owe the team to take one of them.

If we don't trade the pick and I had a choice from the last 4 you mentioned, I'd like Dorsey. He would take a lot of pressure off JA and Hali. I don't think we need Gholston. McFadden would make LJ whine and cry too much.
    Last edited by royalswin100games; 03-30-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: forgot Sam Baker

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

I just think our first pick could be best used at some other position than OT. I DO think one of our first two picks should be used on the line. I don't think the line should only be addressed with late round picks.
    This sounds to me like you are saying the Offensive Line is not important.

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    Agreed. But from what I've read and watched, he's a step above the other OT prospects. Also from what I've seen, Clady is closing the gap.

If we get Chris Williams, Otah, Cherilus, or Albert and they can help shore up the line, I'm happy. None of them should be taken at #5. But out of the 6 I've mentioned, I think CP and Herm owe the team to take one of them.

If we don't trade the pick and I had a choice from the last 4 you mentioned, I'd like Dorsey. He would take a lot of pressure off JA and Hali. I don't think we need Gholston or Ellis. McFadden would make LJ whine and cry too much.
    uh, trade his *** then....for perhaps Detroit's first pick or San Fran's pick. Both need RBs. lol

I'm not so sure that we will see 7 OTs taken in the first round. I'm not sure that many teams need OTs as much as they need players at other positions. We only saw 2 taken last year in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    This sounds to me like you are saying the Offensive Line is not important.
    Really? That's what you're getting out of this? The fact that i'm not sold on J. Long as a LT or Clady being worth a top 5 pick means i don't think the OL is important? I'm just not buying into all the hype about these two guys compared to someone we could pick up 30 picks later.

uh, trade his *** then....for perhaps Detroit's first pick or San Fran's pick. Both need RBs. lol

I'm not so sure that we will see 7 OTs taken in the first round. I'm not sure that many teams need OTs as much as they need players at other positions. We only saw 2 taken last year in the first round
    Do you really not believe that the Chiefs are being feared right now?

All it will take is shoring up the O line (6 picks, 4 if we're lucky) and a few DB's (easy in todays draft they are all over right?).

Are you trying to imply that Jake Long is overrated in everyones eyes here because that is our most needed position?

And you are talking about LT right?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast