Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PFT: Draft Needs

Default PFT: Draft Needs

Here’s a look at the perceived draft needs of the Kansas City Chiefs, with heavy input from Matt Miller and David Gardner of NewEraScouting.com.

Left Tackle: The Chiefs claimed on waivers free agent Anthony Alabi, cut by the Dolphins, and perhaps he can supplant 2007 free-agent addition Damion McIntosh at left tackle. But is either guy really the right guy to protect the quarterback’s blind side? Solid left tackles never come available on the open market, because their teams will never let them get away.

Jake Long would be the ideal pick at No. 5 overall, but it’s unlikely that he’ll still be on the board. Ryan Clady of Boise State is a very athletic pass protector and has the talent to become a franchise left tackle, but he may be a reach at No. 5. Should the team wait until round two, they could find Barry Richardson (Clemson) or Jeff Otah (Pitt) waiting to be plucked from the board.

Quarterback: There are some who believe that Brodie Croyle is the future of this team, but he hasn’t done much in the present to justify it. The Chiefs could opt to go with Matt Ryan at No. 5.

Then again, some believe that G.M. Carl Peterson likes Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm, whose stock is sliding. Brohm could be on the board when the Chiefs use their second-round selection.

Wide receiver: Dwayne Bowe looks like a future Pro Bowler. Opposite him, the team could be relying on Devard Darling, a free agent pick up from Baltimore, who never has fulfilled his promise. Jeff Webb has shown ability, but he is not consistent and struggles to separate. Samie Parker, Eddie Drummond, and Bobby Sippio are journeymen at best; Parker and Drummond are free agents and likely won’t return.

The draft this year is deep at the position, and it would allow them to add more weapons to an offense that has a lot of young pieces in place. Looking at the third round, the Chiefs could find players such as Early Doucet (LSU) and Adrian Arrington (Michigan) on their board. Both are productive receivers who have shown up in big games against top competition.

Cornerback: Ty Law is long gone, leaving an opening at left cornerback. Patrick Surtain is on his last legs as a starter and there is little talent behind him. Second-stringer from 2007 Benny Sapp recently bolted for Minnesota. Cornerback could be the team’s first pick this year; regardless, it’s a need they’ll definitely address at some point in the draft.

Players being linked to K.C. are Antoine Cason (Arizona), a talented cover-two style corner, Patrick Lee (Auburn), Aqib Talib (Kansas), and Zack Bowman (Nebraska).

Center: Casey Weigmann left for Denver, leaving the Chiefs with no clear-cut replacement on hand. With free-agent Justin Hartwig choosing Pittsburgh, the Chiefs could look for a starter in the draft. Adam Spieker from nearby Missouri is a player the team was scouting heavily during the 2007 season. The Chiefs’ zone-blocking scheme also favors mobile centers like Doug Legursky and Mike Pollak.

Then again, there’s a chance that the Chiefs will go with Rudy Niswanger as the starter.

Defensive line: Jared Allen will be back, barring a trade of the franchise player. Allen will be joined by second-year players Turk McBride and Tank Tyler at tackle, and Tamba Hali on the other end. There’s a lot of talent in this group, but not much depth. McBride has also bounced between end and tackle. Ron Edwards and Alfonso Boone offer some, but are not stars.

Tight end: Kris Wilson has bolted, leaving no experience behind 32-year-old Pro Bowler Tony Gonzalez. Gonzalez has been healthy throughout his career, but the team relies heavily on him in the red zone. Lining up a potential replacement will help the team immensely down the road.
    Thought y'all might like to read it.

Our first draft pick is going to depend on who Carl thinks is most valuable, I don't think we will base our pick on team needs if Jake Long is not available.

We will go with the BPA and either work out a trade with another team for him or trade down.

I think that is retarded and we should get Clady at five.

Who knows if he will be available later in the draft?

Other teams need O linemen as well as the Chiefs.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Our first draft pick is going to depend on who Carl thinks is most valuable, I don't think we will base our pick on team needs if Jake Long is not available.

We will go with the BPA and either work out a trade with another team for him or trade down.

I think that is retarded and we should get Clady at five.

Who knows if he will be available later in the draft?

Other teams need O linemen as well as the Chiefs.
    yeah, but most of those teams are ahead of the Chiefs in the draft...which is why Long won't be there at #5. I think you'll be able to find a long term LT in the 2nd round. There's really no reason to reach for one. If we have to pay a top 5 tackle, top 5 money, he needs to be a Roaf/Pace/Ogden type tackle and Clady just isn't that guy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    yeah, but most of those teams are ahead of the Chiefs in the draft...which is why Long won't be there at #5. I think you'll be able to find a long term LT in the 2nd round. There's really no reason to reach for one. If we have to pay a top 5 tackle, top 5 money, he needs to be a Roaf/Pace/Ogden type tackle and Clady just isn't that guy IMO.
    Give me a guaranteed scenarios where we could get the guy in the first round and I will agree with you.

Do you think we could really get a starting rookie at LT other than Long or Clady?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Here’s a look at the perceived draft needs of the Kansas City Chiefs, with heavy input from Matt Miller and David Gardner of NewEraScouting.com.

Left Tackle: The Chiefs claimed on waivers free agent Anthony Alabi, cut by the Dolphins, and perhaps he can supplant 2007 free-agent addition Damion McIntosh at left tackle. But is either guy really the right guy to protect the quarterback’s blind side? Solid left tackles never come available on the open market, because their teams will never let them get away.

No.

Jake Long would be the ideal pick at No. 5 overall, but it’s unlikely that he’ll still be on the board. Ryan Clady of Boise State is a very athletic pass protector and has the talent to become a franchise left tackle, but he may be a reach at No. 5. Should the team wait until round two, they could find Barry Richardson (Clemson) or Jeff Otah (Pitt) waiting to be plucked from the board.

I don't agree with the first statement anymore. I think Clady would be a good pick at #5.

If we were to wait to draft a tackle with our 2nd pick, Otah would be great if he's there.

Quarterback: There are some who believe that Brodie Croyle is the future of this team, but he hasn’t done much in the present to justify it. The Chiefs could opt to go with Matt Ryan at No. 5.

Then again, some believe that G.M. Carl Peterson likes Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm, whose stock is sliding. Brohm could be on the board when the Chiefs use their second-round selection.

Brohm has some good attributes, but do we need to draft him in the second round. IMO, no.

Wide receiver: Dwayne Bowe looks like a future Pro Bowler. Opposite him, the team could be relying on Devard Darling, a free agent pick up from Baltimore, who never has fulfilled his promise. Jeff Webb has shown ability, but he is not consistent and struggles to separate. Samie Parker, Eddie Drummond, and Bobby Sippio are journeymen at best; Parker and Drummond are free agents and likely won’t return.

The draft this year is deep at the position, and it would allow them to add more weapons to an offense that has a lot of young pieces in place. Looking at the third round, the Chiefs could find players such as Early Doucet (LSU) and Adrian Arrington (Michigan) on their board. Both are productive receivers who have shown up in big games against top competition.

Eddie Royal or Andre Caldwell in the third round or later, IMO.

Cornerback: Ty Law is long gone, leaving an opening at left cornerback. Patrick Surtain is on his last legs as a starter and there is little talent behind him. Second-stringer from 2007 Benny Sapp recently bolted for Minnesota. Cornerback could be the team’s first pick this year; regardless, it’s a need they’ll definitely address at some point in the draft.

Players being linked to K.C. are Antoine Cason (Arizona), a talented cover-two style corner, Patrick Lee (Auburn), Aqib Talib (Kansas), and Zack Bowman (Nebraska).

I would LOVE to see Cason in the red and gold. I don't believe Talib would be available in the second round. Patrick Lee may be a little overrated and Bowman is pretty solid.

Center: Casey Weigmann left for Denver, leaving the Chiefs with no clear-cut replacement on hand. With free-agent Justin Hartwig choosing Pittsburgh, the Chiefs could look for a starter in the draft. Adam Spieker from nearby Missouri is a player the team was scouting heavily during the 2007 season. The Chiefs’ zone-blocking scheme also favors mobile centers like Doug Legursky and Mike Pollak.

I like Pollack.

Then again, there’s a chance that the Chiefs will go with Rudy Niswanger as the starter.

Give him a shot.

Defensive line: Jared Allen will be back, barring a trade of the franchise player. Allen will be joined by second-year players Turk McBride and Tank Tyler at tackle, and Tamba Hali on the other end. There’s a lot of talent in this group, but not much depth. McBride has also bounced between end and tackle. Ron Edwards and Alfonso Boone offer some, but are not stars.

Tight end: Kris Wilson has bolted, leaving no experience behind 32-year-old Pro Bowler Tony Gonzalez. Gonzalez has been healthy throughout his career, but the team relies heavily on him in the red zone. Lining up a potential replacement will help the team immensely down the road.
    Thought y'all might like to read it.
    Thanks Tex, good thread.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Give me a guaranteed scenarios where we could get the guy in the first round and I will agree with you.

Do you think we could really get a starting rookie at LT other than Long or Clady?
    Are you serious? You think out of that list you posted, that the only starting left tackles will be Long and Clady out of that whole bunch? Otah, Williams, Cherilus and Baker will almost assuredly be starting left tackles. Also, Collins, Hills and Clark all have the size, but they would probably starters after a year or two with some good experience.

Are you serious? You think out of that list you posted, that the only starting left tackles will be Long and Clady out of that whole bunch? Otah, Williams, Cherilus and Baker will almost assuredly be starting left tackles. Also, Collins, Hills and Clark all have the size, but they would probably starters after a year or two with some good experience.
    Why haven't you mentioned them then?

Are these the guys you think we could get later in the draft?

Which ones which rounds?

There's a difference between a "starting left tackle" and a "stud at left tackle". Long and Clady will likely both be studs...the other guys will be starters but not necessarily studs.

I can't pretend to read TexasChiefs' mind, but I'd guess he hasn't mentioned some of these other guys because they aren't as exciting of a prospect as the top 2. I really like Baker and Otah especially. I think both should be late 1st round to early 2nd round picks and will likely start for almost any team if not as rookies then within a year or so. However they don't project to dominate the way Long or Clady should.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    There's a difference between a "starting left tackle" and a "stud at left tackle". Long and Clady will likely both be studs...the other guys will be starters but not necessarily studs.

I can't pretend to read TexasChiefs' mind, but I'd guess he hasn't mentioned some of these other guys because they aren't as exciting of a prospect as the top 2. I really like Baker and Otah especially. I think both should be late 1st round to early 2nd round picks and will likely start for almost any team if not as rookies then within a year or so. However they don't project to dominate the way Long or Clady should.
    I would rather we dominate at LT as Herm doesn't really have a game plan (he just keeps saying that he does) and we will have to be dominant to run the play calling he prefers.

One of the biggest reasons why i don't think we'll be taking an OT with our first pick is because the more "athletic" OTs will be taken later. Clady is a better athlete than Long. Long is a mauler and will be a much better pass protector than run blocker. With the running offense Herm likes, they will probably look to find the best athlete in the OT class.

I think you'll see Clady, Williams, Cherilus, and Baker at the top of that list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast