Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a stab at a couple questions

Default a stab at a couple questions

Bob Gretz:
    The Answer Man is in the house. He’s ready, willing and able. Fire away.

What’s up with Jared Allen and his contract?

Right now, not much. Allen’s people and the Chiefs continue to have conversations and it’s always good when the lines of communication stay open. But there is no sense that a deal is coming together any time soon.

When will Allen begin working out with his teammates?

That will come when he signs the franchise-player tender. Once he does, he goes back on the roster and can take part in the team’s off-season work. It will also guarantee him just less than $10 million for the coming season. Several franchise players have signed their tenders and are working out with their teams now. Two franchise players – Dallas Clark in Indianapolis and Marcus Trufant in Seattle – have signed new long-term contracts.

Is there a deadline for Allen signing the franchise tender?

He could not sign it at all, but that means he will not play in 2008. He can wait until 10 weeks into the season, sign it and that would give him enough weeks to qualify for another year of service. Or he could sign any time in between. The Chiefs and Allen’s agent can continue to talk about a new contract until July, when those discussions must end.

There’s no way that Herm Edwards went all the way to Boston to watch Matt Ryan’s workout if the Chiefs aren’t going to draft him. No way.

Way. Don’t ever forget this: Edwards always falls back on his personnel background. He is truly a scout at heart. Edwards also attended the workout at the University of California and this week he went to the Pro Day workout at Louisiana State. He may take another trip or two as well.

Edwards may be the most personnel-oriented head coach the Chiefs have ever had. He will always go out and hit the road in the spring. It’s in his blood. Don’t read too much into his appearance in Beantown. It guarantees nothing when it comes to the team selecting Ryan.

OK, so the Chiefs haven’t signed any offensive linemen in free agency. If the season started tomorrow, who would be the starting five and will Brodie Croyle survive?

Now there’s a question. Just from some of the rumblings I’ve heard inside Arrowhead over the last few months, let me take a stab at the opening-day offensive line. This is a guess, only a guess. Please, no wagering.

First, figure Brian Waters will remain at left guard. There was some talk of him moving to center, but I think he’ll end up staying at guard. The center would be third-year man Rudy Niswanger. He got some playing time at guard last year before suffering a knee injury that ended his season. His rehab has gone well and he should be ready to go for the start of training camp.

Now at right guard, how about Damion McIntosh; this move may hinge on what the Chiefs can find in the Draft. But his size would be just right for what the Chiefs want to get done with their running game: power.

At left and right tackle: who knows? Remember, the Chiefs claimed Adrian Jones on waivers at the end of last season from the Jets. They also grabbed Anthony Alabi on waivers back in February from the Dolphins. Both are tackles. Will Svitek is still around as well, along with Herb Taylor, last year’s draft choice. He actually played pretty well against Detroit in fill-in action at the end of last year.

Why didn’t the Chiefs make a play for former Donkeys kicker Jason Elam?

Just like the situation with Josh Brown who signed with St. Louis, the Chiefs could not compete with the indoor environment that Elam will enjoy while kicking for the Falcons in Atlanta. One of the reasons they were interested in Brown was his age: he’ll be 29 for the 2008 season. Elam is 42 years old.

I hear the Chiefs have a lot of money left under the salary cap, maybe more than any other team in the league. What are they saving it for?

Jared Allen for one. If they were able to work out a deal for him, they would need a healthy bundle to pay him. They will also have at least 10 draft choices and those don’t come cheap these days, especially the fifth pick in the first round.

Also, with the signing in free agency of Casey Wiegmann (Denver), Kris Wilson (Philadelphia), Benny Sapp (Minnesota), Keyaron Fox (Pittsburgh) and Jimmy Wilkerson (Tampa Bay), they should pick up at least one, maybe two compensation picks.

Because they have spots on the roster to fill, the Chiefs figure to be very active in the post-Draft market for college free agents. Those cost money as well.

Also, expect the Chiefs to work hard to sign some of their young talent to new contracts before the reach free agency.

That money will get spent. If there’s one thing the Chiefs have not been deficient in over the last 10 years it’s managing the salary cap. They are among the best in the business.
    I thought the point about affording the 10-12 drafted players plus the college free agents is a good one.

I think it could be a really fun day if the Chiefs decide to trade out of the #5 pick and end up grabbing a couple additional picks. We could see the Chiefs with possibly 15 or so picks. That would be amazing.

I would love to get more picks out of the deal. I'm still holding hope(albeit waning)that J. Long is there @ 5th pick.If he gets by the first two picks our chances more than double.Just let me dream.............a little

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    I would love to get more picks out of the deal. I'm still holding hope(albeit waning)that J. Long is there @ 5th pick.If he gets by the first two picks our chances more than double.Just let me dream.............a little
    That right there sounds like GO CHIEFS to me!

Woohoo!!!!!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Do not count RYAN out..(scouts took hard looks) I want him because he will be the best player left when it comes the Chiefs turn to pick in the draft.(I don't like our Q.B.s) I think Jared Allen is the key. What the Chiefs do with him sets the tone for the draft. We have money! Will the Chiefs spend it all? Heck just do it!
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by spiman View Post
    Do not count RYAN out..(scouts took hard looks) I want him because he will be the best player left when it comes the Chiefs turn to pick in the draft.(I don't like our Q.B.s) I think Jared Allen is the key. What the Chiefs do with him sets the tone for the draft. We have money! Will the Chiefs spend it all? Heck just do it!
    Are you saying we will draft Ryan?

I wouldn't doubt it.

Jared needs to get signed immediately!

We have enough money to sign anyone we want, right?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Bob Gretz:
    The Answer Man is in the house. He’s ready, willing and able. Fire away.

What’s up with Jared Allen and his contract?

Right now, not much. Allen’s people and the Chiefs continue to have conversations and it’s always good when the lines of communication stay open. But there is no sense that a deal is coming together any time soon.

Perfect.

When will Allen begin working out with his teammates?

That will come when he signs the franchise-player tender. Once he does, he goes back on the roster and can take part in the team’s off-season work. It will also guarantee him just less than $10 million for the coming season. Several franchise players have signed their tenders and are working out with their teams now. Two franchise players – Dallas Clark in Indianapolis and Marcus Trufant in Seattle – have signed new long-term contracts.

Jared doesn't seem like the type to let the team down.

Is there a deadline for Allen signing the franchise tender?

He could not sign it at all, but that means he will not play in 2008. He can wait until 10 weeks into the season, sign it and that would give him enough weeks to qualify for another year of service. Or he could sign any time in between. The Chiefs and Allen’s agent can continue to talk about a new contract until July, when those discussions must end.

Same as above.

There’s no way that Herm Edwards went all the way to Boston to watch Matt Ryan’s workout if the Chiefs aren’t going to draft him. No way.

Way. Don’t ever forget this: Edwards always falls back on his personnel background. He is truly a scout at heart. Edwards also attended the workout at the University of California and this week he went to the Pro Day workout at Louisiana State. He may take another trip or two as well.

He scouts em, drafts em, and throws em under the bus.

Edwards may be the most personnel-oriented head coach the Chiefs have ever had. He will always go out and hit the road in the spring. It’s in his blood. Don’t read too much into his appearance in Beantown. It guarantees nothing when it comes to the team selecting Ryan.

Gimme a break.

OK, so the Chiefs haven’t signed any offensive linemen in free agency. If the season started tomorrow, who would be the starting five and will Brodie Croyle survive?

Now there’s a question. Just from some of the rumblings I’ve heard inside Arrowhead over the last few months, let me take a stab at the opening-day offensive line. This is a guess, only a guess. Please, no wagering.

First, figure Brian Waters will remain at left guard. There was some talk of him moving to center, but I think he’ll end up staying at guard. The center would be third-year man Rudy Niswanger. He got some playing time at guard last year before suffering a knee injury that ended his season. His rehab has gone well and he should be ready to go for the start of training camp.

Good.

Now at right guard, how about Damion McIntosh; this move may hinge on what the Chiefs can find in the Draft. But his size would be just right for what the Chiefs want to get done with their running game: power.

I'd rather see him on the inside. Let's get someone more agile out at tackle.

At left and right tackle: who knows? Remember, the Chiefs claimed Adrian Jones on waivers at the end of last season from the Jets. They also grabbed Anthony Alabi on waivers back in February from the Dolphins. Both are tackles. Will Svitek is still around as well, along with Herb Taylor, last year’s draft choice. He actually played pretty well against Detroit in fill-in action at the end of last year.

No answers there.

Why didn’t the Chiefs make a play for former Donkeys kicker Jason Elam?

Just like the situation with Josh Brown who signed with St. Louis, the Chiefs could not compete with the indoor environment that Elam will enjoy while kicking for the Falcons in Atlanta. One of the reasons they were interested in Brown was his age: he’ll be 29 for the 2008 season. Elam is 42 years old.

I don't want that friggen donkey.

I hear the Chiefs have a lot of money left under the salary cap, maybe more than any other team in the league. What are they saving it for?

Jared Allen for one. If they were able to work out a deal for him, they would need a healthy bundle to pay him. They will also have at least 10 draft choices and those don’t come cheap these days, especially the fifth pick in the first round.

Key word is "if". JA is pissed at CP right now.

Also, with the signing in free agency of Casey Wiegmann (Denver), Kris Wilson (Philadelphia), Benny Sapp (Minnesota), Keyaron Fox (Pittsburgh) and Jimmy Wilkerson (Tampa Bay), they should pick up at least one, maybe two compensation picks.

I agree that's good. But what kind of value will we get?

Because they have spots on the roster to fill, the Chiefs figure to be very active in the post-Draft market for college free agents. Those cost money as well.

So our plan is to sign undrafted free agents to fill our roster?

Also, expect the Chiefs to work hard to sign some of their young talent to new contracts before the reach free agency.

We'd better not sign any chumps long term.

That money will get spent. If there’s one thing the Chiefs have not been deficient in over the last 10 years it’s managing the salary cap. They are among the best in the business.
    I thought the point about affording the 10-12 drafted players plus the college free agents is a good one.

I think it could be a really fun day if the Chiefs decide to trade out of the #5 pick and end up grabbing a couple additional picks. We could see the Chiefs with possibly 15 or so picks. That would be amazing.
    I hope we do get some good talent out of the draft. But what are we going to get out of undrafted rookie free agents? Sure, maybe we could get a diamond in the rough but how often does that happen?

I also agree we should trade the #5 pick if Long isn't available. I think we would be reaching with Clady at #5 but if we take him, I won't be that disappointed.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

You know after dorseys' pro day alot of people are saying that he is back at the top. teams are saying that he would pass their physical. so i guess the tibia thing has been laid to rest. I have seen numerous mock drafts that have him going 2nd overall. and if stl doesnt take jake long i really think he will be there at pick 5. I know it is all "MOCK" situations. but I really think that there is a good a chance as ever that jake long could be ours.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    You know after dorseys' pro day alot of people are saying that he is back at the top. teams are saying that he would pass their physical. so i guess the tibia thing has been laid to rest. I have seen numerous mock drafts that have him going 2nd overall. and if stl doesnt take jake long i really think he will be there at pick 5. I know it is all "MOCK" situations. but I really think that there is a good a chance as ever that jake long could be ours.
    "So you're telling me there's a chance? Yeahhh!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA"]YouTube - Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance'[/ame]

haha. there is always a chance. unfortunately stl's needs are equally as dire on both sides of the line. So it could really go either way. I just think that they might end up going defensive. Mainly cause Pace will still play next year and there is always next years draft and free agency to try and replace him. You can't let players like Bulger and Jackson go inefective cause your D cant stop ANYONE.

Just all theories though.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    haha. there is always a chance. unfortunately stl's needs are equally as dire on both sides of the line. So it could really go either way. I just think that they might end up going defensive. Mainly cause Pace will still play next year and there is always next years draft and free agency to try and replace him. You can't let players like Bulger and Jackson go inefective cause your D cant stop ANYONE.

Just all theories though.
    Hey guy, if Jake is still available I'm sure we will snatch him up!

I like the optimism!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast