Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Story on the front page...

Default Top Story on the front page...

Chiefs’ All-Pro guard Shields announces his retirement.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

I'm sooooo sad!!!! :(
    Last edited by Chiefster; 04-16-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Ryan Kalil Height: 6-23/4 | Weight: 299 | 40-Time: 4.96
    Official Bio

Strengths:
    Good quickness...Moves well and has great range...Is extremely smart with great football instincts and is like a coach along the offensive line...Still has the frame to pack on some additional pounds...Does a nice job in pass protection...Is tough, a hard worker and a leader with top-notch intangibles...Excellent technician...Just a steady, all-around player who has a ton of experience against elite competition.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have great size or bulk...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Not very stout at the point and will get pushed back at times...Struggles with massive defensive tackles who will overpower and bull rush him...He is not overly athletic.

Notes:
    Father, Frank, was a center at Arkansas (1978) and Arizona (1980-81-82), who was then drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1982 before playing for the USFL's Arizona Wranglers in 1983 and Houston Gamblers in 1984...One of the top pivots in the country the last couple of years...Consistent player who has seen it all and makes up for what he lacks in physical tools and measurables with brains and technique.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 04-16-2007 at 08:35 AM.

I did some editing so that peoples first questioun won't be: "What's his name?" :)

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

this retirement can be handled better than roaf`s. RG isnt LT. although improtant it isnt protecting the blind side of the QB. plus they have been expecting this. welborn,although not a sheilds type player, will fill in alright.
    Last edited by wolfpack; 04-16-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    No, not for some time. Actually, one might wonder if Shields retiring might have an affect on C Casey Wiegmann future as well?

I think it was rumored over the radio that his return was 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    this retirement can be handled better than roaf`s. RG isnt LT. although improtant it isnt protecting the blind side of the QB. plus they have been expecting this. welborn,although not a sheilds type player, will fill in alright.
    I'd be more than just a little concerned about putting all those eggs (QB health) in the Welbourn basket. Granted he might be an adequate short term replacement, but can he really be counted on? This is the same John Welbourn that was suspended the first four games of the 2005 season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs? Or the John Welbourn that announced his retirement 15 June of 2006 to enroll in law school, "...it's exciting to think I'll be starting a whole new chapter in my life." And the same John Welbourn who it was reported was unhappy that the Chiefs would not renegotiate his contract prior to his retirement? Or the John Welbourn spoken of in Herman Edwards press conference listed below...

Q: Was John Welbourn suspended or did he retire?

EDWARDS: “At one time he retired, I believe, and then he wanted to be reinstated. Then he was suspended.”

Q: So he retired because he was going to be suspended?

EDWARDS: “You’d have to ask Welbourn that.”

Q: How does a guy who has left under those circumstances get back with his teammates?

EDWARDS: “Do you have kids?”

Q: No.

EDWARDS: “I have one who’s grown up already and two little girls and they’re not old enough to make mistakes where they know any better. But when they do, hopefully, if they make two of them I don’t get rid of them.

“I just think players make mistakes because they’re human. When they do you have to take a stand and say what you want to do with the guy. Do you want to say that since you’ve made some mistakes in your life that you can’t play on this team anymore?

“He hurt the team; he hurt his reputation because of the accusations that came along. But no one knows what happened. But then you look at it and say he’s done those things and he’s paid a price for it, too, because everyone’s talking about that player. So, you have to make a decision as a coach if it’s a distraction to your team, what kind of teammate was he, was he a distraction when he was here? Did he work hard when he was here? Yeah. Is he a good football player? Yeah. Is he hard to handle? No, not hard to handle, comes to work every day on time, made a bad decision or two. So then you have to decide if you want him back. At this point I want him back.
    “I don’t know John, to be quite honest. When I got here John was here, but the last time I talked to him I was walking down the hall at the end of practice one day. The next thing I knew he was retiring two days later and now he’s back. That’s good for us and I think it’s good for him. Hopefully, he’s learned his lesson by sitting out. Hopefully, he can come back and help us.”

Any thoughts about Chris Bober or Tre' Stalling?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I did some editing so that peoples first questioun won't be: "What's his name?" :)
    Thanks! I was having some computer issues last night and things weren't exactly going smoothly.

If this guy is money in the bank, how is he going to be sitting there @ #23?
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief71 View Post
    If this guy is money in the bank, how is he going to be sitting there @ #23?
    Right now he is projected to go in the late first or early second round, and that could be based on two factors; (1) teams drafting above the #23 pick have greater needs-not too many teams looking for a starter at RG this time of year, (2) Blalock played RT in college but is projected to move inside to RG, this transition might have dropped his stock somewhat.

HOWEVER...We are still more than a week away, and I would not be surprised to see mock draft boards making a final adjustment in which we could see Blalock move upwards closer to pick #23.

BTW...No player is "money in the bank".

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Thanks! I was having some computer issues last night and things weren't exactly going smoothly.

No problem bud; it's what do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I think it was rumored over the radio that his return was 50/50.
    Well here is the latest info (Provided by the Kansas City Star)...

The Chiefs had privately been fretting that center Casey Wiegmann may also walk away. But Wiegmann has been participating in the offseason workout program, and his agent, Joe Linta, indicated Wiegmann would play this season.
    “He’s not retiring, no,” Linta said. “He’s all set to play. He wants to play three or four more years.”

No arguement from me on this, it would be a positive development that could allow for the growth of C Rudy Niswanger. But what if USC Center Ryan Kalil is on the board when the Chiefs select in the second round?
    Last edited by Cisco Kid; 04-17-2007 at 05:03 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast