Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Story on the front page...

Default Top Story on the front page...

Chiefs’ All-Pro guard Shields announces his retirement.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

I'm sooooo sad!!!! :(
    Last edited by Chiefster; 04-16-2007 at 01:14 AM.

And now we have another Willie Roaf type hole to fill on the "O" line!

From Will's web site:

http://www.willtosucceed.org/

THANK YOU KANSAS CITY!!!

Everyday I count the blessings that have been bestowed upon my family and me. Each day I am thankful that I was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs and think of all the people who have supported the team, our family’s foundation, and me. This community is like no other when it comes to support. Fourteen years sure fly by when you get to do what you love. The love for the game never decreased but, as the years passed, the physical requirements of the game became harder to fulfill each and every day. If it was up to me I would play football forever but, as we all know, that is unrealistic.

However, I do hope to always be connected to the game in some capacity. The decision to hang up my cleats has not been an easy one to make for me but one I knew I would eventually have to make. Today, I am letting everyone know that I am putting away my pads.

First, I would like to thank the guys who came before me…who paved the way for me to have an opportunity to play in this league….I thank my parents, brother, and sister for their unwavering love….I thank the guys who have fought beside me to try to fulfill the ultimate dream…..I thank my coaches from Lawton High who saw potential in me and gave me the first shot at a little boy’s dream…..I thank my coaches at the University of Nebraska who let a young kid play as a freshman….and I thank the Kansas City Chiefs for allowing me to dance in the most exciting stadium in the NFL….I thank the Hunt family for their support through the years and last, but not least, I thank my number one fan base, my wonderful wife and children.

I am looking forward to a future filled with sports in mind. Whether it is in the stands, on the sideline, in the press box or in a office--football will remain in my blood. My best wishes to all and I hope to see you soon

Thank you again, for all your support.

Will Shields
    April 15, 2007

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    And now we have another Willie Roaf type hole to fill on the "O" line!

Yes, will the bleeding ever stop, sigh!

:bananen_smilies028:
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

No, not for some time. Actually, one might wonder if Shields retiring might have an affect on C Casey Wiegmann future as well?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    No, not for some time. Actually, one might wonder if Shields retiring might have an affect on C Casey Wiegmann future as well?

That is something to think about Cisco, makes you wonder what the next headline will be.
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Well the next headline I would like to see is as follows:

"Chiefs Trade QB Green to Miami"...The Chiefs have agree to trade QB Trent Green along with pick #2/54 to the Miami Dolphins in return for the Dolphins second round pick #40.

Now the Chiefs can take care of the pressing business at hand...

CHIEFS TOP DRAFT SELECTIONS

#1/23 RG Justin Blalock
    #2/40 C Ryan Kalil

No brainer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Well the next headline I would like to see is as follows:

"Chiefs Trade QB Green to Miami"...The Chiefs have agree to trade QB Trent Green along with pick #2/54 to the Miami Dolphins in return for the Dolphins second round pick #40.

Now the Chiefs can take care of the pressing business at hand...

CHIEFS TOP DRAFT SELECTIONS

#1/23 RG Justin Blalock
    #2/40 C Ryan Kalil

No brainer!!!

Q: Do you have any indication from Will Shields what is future plans are?
    EDWARDS: “No, I really don’t. He was overseas and he’s back now. He’ll come talk to Carl (Peterson) and talk to me and tell us exactly where he’s at.”
    Q: Do you need to know before the draft?
    EDWARDS: “No, not at all. There’s no hurry. We’re going to draft good players. If there’s a good guard there and we like him we’re going to draft him whether Will is back or not.”

There you have it, directly from the coach himself...RG Justin Blalock is that "good guard" and will be available with the #23 pick of the 1st round. Concerned that this isn't a value pick? Hog-wash...The Chiefs top need is a replacement for Shields and Blalock is the #1 rated guard in the draft.

Justin Blalock, OG, Texas (29th Overall) - The highest score on the Wonderlic test and one of the the strongest players in the draft, Blalock is as a close to a sure thing as you get. An experienced and versatile player from a premier university, Blalock also plays one of the easiest to project positions. For any team that needs a sturdy guard, Blalock is a very safe pick, maybe the safest in the entire draft.

Enough said!

Offensive Guard | Senior | Texas
    Justin BlalockHeight: 6-31/4 | Weight: 320 | 40-Time: 5.10
    Official Bio

Strengths:
    Outstanding size and bulk...Good athleticism, quickness and balance...Very strong and powerful...Stout at the point and does not get pushed back...Will overwhelm defensive linemen at the point...Has a great initial punch...Moves well...Smart and a hard worker with top intangibles...Terrific run blocker and a road grader...Nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Is versatile...Durable and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have great feet and his footwork needs refinement...Needs to play with more consistent leverage...Is not yet a great technician and still relies too heavily on his natural talent...A better run than pass blocker...His range is only average.

Notes:
    Was a four-year starter...Played right tackle for most of his career but saw some action at guard as a senior...Will probably move inside to guard at the next level but he could potentially play tackle as well...One of the better prospects to come along at his position in a while and he is the rare guard with first round potential.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast